Garage At 1110 Rusk St.

Nate99

• 3 weeks later...

This is just speculation, but having been in the garage and watching the construction from my building, I think I know what is going on.

The garage entrance was on Rusk.  With the light rail going in right by it, that would no longer be a safe entrance.  So they are reconfiguring the lower floors of the garage to move the entrance to San Jacinto.  No idea if Metro is paying for that or the owners of 1110 Rusk, though.

This is just speculation, but having been in the garage and watching the construction from my building, I think I know what is going on.

The garage entrance was on Rusk. With the light rail going in right by it, that would no longer be a safe entrance. So they are reconfiguring the lower floors of the garage to move the entrance to San Jacinto. No idea if Metro is paying for that or the owners of 1110 Rusk, though.

There are other garages that open up to the streets light rail would go on. I always wondered about what would happen.

• 2 weeks later...

There are other garages that open up to the streets light rail would go on. I always wondered about what would happen.

Now that they've made more progress on the light rail, I can now see why this was necessary.  It looks like they are building a rail station right where the old garage entrance was, which would have completely blocked the garage entrance, so they were forced to reconfigure the garage in this case.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Last week they finally reopened the old Texaco garage, and it's already mostly full of cars. This should give some much needed relief to the other garages and surface lots in the area, which have been a lot more full the last 6 months due to this garage being closed. As I suspected, they reconfigured the garage entrance to the San Jacinto side, because the Rusk side is blocked by the new light rail station. I wonder if Metro helped pay for this. They've also restriped most of the spots (except the top floor or so), and put up a new fence on the Fannin side. Click for a bigger view:

Qq7QQ0pl.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Garage At 1110 Rusk St.