All Things Walmart

TGM

I heard someone say the other day that the Walton family - not, I think, a very large family - now controls as much wealth as the bottom 40 percent of Americans. I googled the claim and found this: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/17/534591/walmart-heirs-wealth-combined/#

Don't know anything about the Economic Policy Institute.

But if true, I find this quite astonishing, though for all I know some other famous family - the Carnegies or the Vanderbilts or Rockefellers - once did the same.

I present this neutrally - I'm not interested in demonizing the wealthy; in fact, I believe that, traditionally and sometimes still, what is good in the world has most often been done by people of means, even if the Waltons seem unlikely candidates.

Well, mostly neutrally. I am ignorant of whether this means anything, whether it is a positiive sign, or whether it even matters (considered completely apart from the business they're engaged in, I mean).

Alice Walton, Sam's only daughter, has built a beautiful museum in Bentonville AR, and it houses many types of American art that she has been collecting for some years.

When we were there about a year and a half ago, admission was free and the place was packed.  They may have a fee by now.

The architecture is quite interesting, built somewhat out in the woods, with water surrounding the buildings.

www.crystalbridges.org

Alice Walton, Sam's only daughter, has built a beautiful museum in Bentonville AR, and it houses many types of American art that she has been collecting for some years.

When we were there about a year and a half ago, admission was free and the place was packed.  They may have a fee by now.

Given our American penchant for focusing on whatever is most meaningless I can only imagine the furor, the righteous outrage, had Alice Walton charged the people of rural Arkansas to visit her museum.

The Walmart PR people are not that tone-deaf.

They may sometimes find it hard to control the message, though:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/02/news/companies/walmart-china-meat/

I will feel cheated - really cheated! - if globalization does not bring 5-spice assburger - tainted or not, with the DNA of small predators - to the shelves of my local Walmart before I die.

Given our American penchant for focusing on whatever is most meaningless I can only imagine the furor, the righteous outrage, had Alice Walton charged the people of rural Arkansas to visit her museum.

The Walmart PR people are not that tone-deaf.

They may sometimes find it hard to control the message, though:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/02/news/companies/walmart-china-meat/

I will feel cheated - really cheated! - if globalization does not bring 5-spice assburger - tainted or not, with the DNA of small predators - to the shelves of my local Walmart before I die.

From the article...

"The retailer said in a statement that one of its suppliers -- Dezhou Fujude Food Company Limited -- had produced and provided Wal-Mart China and other distributors with donkey meat containing fox DNA."

• 2 weeks later...

They were out of fresh garlic last night. Wth?

The blueberries had no price on them or their spot on the shelf. I asked the produce guy how much they cost. He said "I think they're like 3.99". I stood there looking at him. He stood there looking at me. Until it finally dawned on him that he should probably go look it up.

I'll never go here again. Ugh.

I went there yesterday afternoon, upon seeing the fresh garlic, I bought it all.

In all seriousness, I went to HEB in Gulfgate on Sunday at about 7 to buy some vegetables and see if it was the typical madhouse, there were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but once I grabbed everything I needed I only had to wait for 2 or 3 minutes in line, rather than the 15-20 it usually takes.

Walmart, even if you don't go, is a positive for the area. Hopefully it stays this way, enough people in HEB to keep it busy, but not so busy that I choose to drive farther for a shorter line.

I went there yesterday afternoon, upon seeing the fresh garlic, I bought it all.

In all seriousness, I went to HEB in Gulfgate on Sunday at about 7 to buy some vegetables and see if it was the typical madhouse, there were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but once I grabbed everything I needed I only had to wait for 2 or 3 minutes in line, rather than the 15-20 it usually takes.

Walmart, even if you don't go, is a positive for the area. Hopefully it stays this way, enough people in HEB to keep it busy, but not so busy that I choose to drive farther for a shorter line.

I'm not so sure. There's a fiesta, HEB, and a sellers within a mile or two of this place.

I agree.  I've been thinking that this new Walmart grocery will have an effect on Fiesta and probably Sellers too.

There was a Kroger on the corner of Polk and Wayside, where the large Family Thrift Store is.  Kroger's took up the entire building.  Then, Fiesta was built.  I don't remember just how long afterward, Kroger closed.

Seller's Brothers has been a constant though.  It has survived the closing of K-Mart and the re-inventing of the entire center with various smaller stores.  The fact that it is on the other side of I-45 may help their situation.

I visited the HEB last Saturday.  It's usually packed on weekends but not so that day.  I can only hope that HEB does clean up their act and improve the store but others in our circle are thinking it's destined to become a Mi Tienda.

I agree. I've been thinking that this new Walmart grocery will have an effect on Fiesta and probably Sellers too.

There was a Kroger on the corner of Polk and Wayside, where the large Family Thrift Store is. Kroger's took up the entire building. Then, Fiesta was built. I don't remember just how long afterward, Kroger closed.

Seller's Brothers has been a constant though. It has survived the closing of K-Mart and the re-inventing of the entire center with various smaller stores. The fact that it is on the other side of I-45 may help their situation.

I visited the HEB last Saturday. It's usually packed on weekends but not so that day. I can only hope that HEB does clean up their act and improve the store but others in our circle are thinking it's destined to become a Mi Tienda.

Is mi tienda like bravo ranch? I went to the one on Richey in Pasadena and was floored by their lack of selection. It seems all they carry are the cheap no-name brands. Ugh.

I visited the HEB last Saturday.  It's usually packed on weekends but not so that day.  I can only hope that HEB does clean up their act and improve the store but others in our circle are thinking it's destined to become a Mi Tienda.

When I moved to the Eastwood area several years ago, HEB Gulfgate was a much better store than it is now. At some point, the HEB head honchos decided to re-merchandise it to compete with the likes of other area grocery stores with a predominately Hispanic clientele such as Sellers Bros, Fiesta on Wayside, and the smaller ones.

However, many of my Hispanic neighbors drive out of our area to grocery shop at HEB and Kroger in Montrose, as well as Randall's and Fiesta in Midtown.

When I moved to the Eastwood area several years ago, HEB Gulfgate was a much better store than it is now. At some point, the HEB head honchos decided to re-merchandise it to compete with the likes of other area grocery stores with a predominately Hispanic clientele such as Sellers Bros, Fiesta on Wayside, and the smaller ones.

However, many of my Hispanic neighbors drive out of our area to grocery shop at HEB and Kroger in Montrose, as well as Randall's and Fiesta in Midtown.

The H-E-B at Tejas Center used to be a lot nicer, too with a more complete selection (there was even a Panda Express, apparently) and a better international foods section. It, like Gulfgate, replaced a derelict mall.

Agree. Now I usually get my groceries at either Sam's club or the HEB on Buffalo speedway. Near westpark.

Is mi tienda like bravo ranch? I went to the one on Richey in Pasadena and was floored by their lack of selection. It seems all they carry are the cheap no-name brands. Ugh.

I don't know what bravo ranch is.  I've only been to the Mi Tienda in Pasadena once and it seemed like a big Fiesta to me.  Lots of exotic produce and eating area inside the store.  Signs in two languages, that sort of thing.

Frankly, the HEB in Gulfgate won't have to make too many changes.  It already is Fiesta-like.

Archived