Sign in to follow this  
brian0123

Republican party self-destruction?

I agree with your comments. My point in bringing up the Obamacare site is that the Democrats are letting the Republicans get off of the ropes with these issues. They had the Republicans completely on the defensive and now they don't. They've let them back in the game and that's a huge mistake.

Right or wrong, the Republicans argued that this was going to be a mess and you can blame whoever you want, but they now have a somewhat credible argument that it is and that's a huge tactical loss for the Democrats.

Ah, yes, I see your point.  But - I will say that I don't think the GOP were saying that the "Obamacare" would be a mess because of the website, but because it would a) bankrupt the country, B) force government into the private healthcare world, c) allow poor people access to healthcare they otherwise woulnd't recieve off of our money, d) move the needle towards more government run programs that have largely been kept out of the governmental realm... et cetera

I think the website glitch is just an example of a private company taking on more than they could handle.

Ah, yes, I see your point.  But - I will say that I don't think the GOP were saying that the "Obamacare" would be a mess because of the website, but because it would a) bankrupt the country, B) force government into the private healthcare world, c) allow poor people access to healthcare they otherwise woulnd't recieve off of our money, d) move the needle towards more government run programs that have largely been kept out of the governmental realm... et cetera

I think the website glitch is just an example of a private company taking on more than they could handle.

You're absolutely right about the reasons, but I don't think that those will really matter at the end of the day.  It's given them a talking point, it's diverted attention from the shutdown, and they're going to play it for all it's worth.

I partially agree with you about the website, but there's government obligation here as well.  If they let the contractor run off and build this on their own without any oversight (which is what it sounds like happened), then they got what they deserved. 

• Like 1

Per my earlier point, the news cycle has turned and the shutdown is no longer a story. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no significant changes in the mid-term and if the Republicans retain control of both houses.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/30/21252826-obama-leadership-style-raises-question-of-who-is-in-control?lite

Per my earlier point, the news cycle has turned and the shutdown is no longer a story. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no significant changes in the mid-term and if the Republicans retain control of both houses.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/30/21252826-obama-leadership-style-raises-question-of-who-is-in-control?lite

Except that they will probably go through the whole shutdown thing again in Jan/Feb....it depends on what they do (or don't do) then....and 3 months after that....and 3 months after that....

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

Except that they will probably go through the whole shutdown thing again in Jan/Feb....it depends on what they do (or don't do) then....and 3 months after that....and 3 months after that....

I have no doubt of the ability of either party to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times between now and the next election... :(

• Like 1

I have no doubt of the ability of either party to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times between now and the next election... :(

LOL -- right....pretty much a given isn't it ?

• Like 1

^at least we can count on them to do something^

I'm curious - was any one here directly affected by the shutdown?  Do any of you work for the government or do business with it?  My siblings are in the military and while they were not harmed by the shutdown they did say that most of the large civilian DOD employee population was.

^at least we can count on them to do something^

I'm curious - was any one here directly affected by the shutdown?  Do any of you work for the government or do business with it?  My siblings are in the military and while they were not harmed by the shutdown they did say that most of the large civilian DOD employee population was.

I wouldn't have known anything was going on (or not going on ?) if I didn't see it on TV or the internet....I don't have any business with government entities and wasn't traveling or vacationing...

And that's the real reason why gun control measures are so hard to pass...both parties really can't control their own.  ;)

True but the demand is still high. There are millions that want insurance.

Would that be the millions who aren't going to be able to keep the plans they like even though the President promised they would be able to?

Would that be the millions who aren't going to be able to keep the plans they like even though the President promised they would be able to?

The insurance companies have been canceling plans and trying to upsell to single payer customers for years. They prey on these types of people. I have a contractor friend that gets crapped on every year. He signs up for coverage only to be told later at renewal time that his type of coverage is no longer available, "but we can offer you this instead". It's the old bait and switch technique.

• Like 1

Can't retain control of senate when they don't have it right now.

Those are some of the people

Can't retain control of senate when they don't have it right now.

You're correct. I made a mistake. I'm admitting to that. It's not that hard. You should try it sometime.

Decent article talking about this from results last night: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/opinion/louis-election/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens between Christie and the tea party. Even if Christie can win over NE Repubs and Independents, I don't see how he could excite enough Repubs across the entire country to support him.

Decent article talking about this from results last night: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/opinion/louis-election/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens between Christie and the tea party. Even if Christie can win over NE Repubs and Independents, I don't see how he could excite enough Repubs across the entire country to support him.

The Repubs will never forgive him for cooperating with Obama.

The Repubs will never forgive him for cooperating with Obama.

The center might, though, if he can get through the primaries.

The insurance companies have been canceling plans and trying to upsell to single payer customers for years. They prey on these types of people. I have a contractor friend that gets crapped on every year. He signs up for coverage only to be told later at renewal time that his type of coverage is no longer available, "but we can offer you this instead". It's the old bait and switch technique.

So you're avoiding the fact that he didn't tell the truth. Look, I'm an Independent that voted for Obama and I have to admit, this entire rollout has been a complete mess. If he wants to succeed, he needs to turn this around and stop doing this hands off approach to everything. His legacy hangs in the balance right now.

So you're avoiding the fact that he didn't tell the truth. Look, I'm an Independent that voted for Obama and I have to admit, this entire rollout has been a complete mess. If he wants to succeed, he needs to turn this around and stop doing this hands off approach to everything. His legacy hangs in the balance right now.

I don't think he realized he was lying to them at the time. I agree, that he needs to fix that part. However, the insurance companies are going to squeal real loud, if he makes them keep unprofitable policies out there while other companies are making gravy off the new folks.