Perry Homes In St. Charles Square

I was trolling a bit this morning and noticed allot of people didn't care for what perry homes was doing in the st. charles square area. i am about to buy a townhome there, with the similiar thought process of most of yall i imagine: that it will be a cool place to live for 5 years of so, and it should appreciate allot since the area is growing so much.

i think some of the skeptism i am reading about on here is because the perry townhomes are pretty cookie cutter and too "mainstream". i certaintly agree with that, but i still like them. is the dislike for them partly because they are popular, and the popular thing to do is to not like what is popular? or is there really something wrong with those townhomes?

the townhome i'm looking at is 190k and i would like to hope it will go up to 250k in 5 years time. is this wishfull thinking? i know people have been bashing the disorganization of that development and believe the area closer to navigation is better. i know that metro is doing the light rail over on that side and the buffalo bayou project and all is going down over there. do yall think the appreciate of the properties in st. charles square won't be as great as some other areas because of that, or will it all be a "gold mine"? thanks for your opinions, its seems like yall know what your talking about...

/ david

I think most of the opposition to Perry is more political to the owners versus the quality of the house.

Generally the Perry Homes are basic compared what's available. The price points are hard to beat.

How much are you getting for 190K?

I made a nice profit on my Perry, but you need something to set your's apart.

We had a gate and private patio and drive, which was rare. I think there were only a few others like this on my side of Midtown.

Overall, the quality was great.

Be sure to get a bannister. They really help the look.

I would say that for as many Perry-Haters out there, there are an equal amount who don't care or could care less and would purchase your home in a heartbeat. If the location's good, for 190K, go for it.

As far as what the price could be in 5 years, well, that just depends on the market. I'm sure you would get what you paid for at least.

As a Perry owner in the Sutton Square subdivision (near West Gray and Taft), I couldn't be more happy. Perry may not be the best builder out there, but what they do offer is location. I absolutely love my neighborhood and I don't want to move anytime soon. So much construction has occured in my neighborhood since Perry has come in. The Vistas at Midtown are coming along nicely.

I have not had any problems with my Perry. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

I would say that for as many Perry-Haters out there, there are an equal amount who don't care or could care less and would purchase your home in a heartbeat. If the location's good, for 190K, go for it.

As far as what the price could be in 5 years, well, that just depends on the market. I'm sure you would get what you paid for at least.

$250,000 in 5 years is not unreasonable. That's only about a 5% yearly increase. If they continue building in that area, you should be able to get that.

There are many reasons that people hate Perry. Some dislike the man and his politics. Others dislike his connections, which he uses to dilute homeowner protection in Texas. Some dislike the cookie cutter designs. And a few think the construction is subpar.

I personally don't think the construction is great, but it is probably not any worse than most home builders in Houston, especially large tract home builders. Even then, some homes built by the same builder are better than others. If you like the home and the area, get a good inspection (make sure your offer includes an out clause if the inspection is bad) and buy the house. If the inspector says it's a well built house, it won't fall down in 5 years...10 to 20, maybe, but not 5.

One reason Perry has good price points is that I don't believe he puts in ridiculous add-ons, such as SubZero appliances, that drive up the price. A good $1200 Frigidaire will keep your food as cold as a SubZero, but try explaining that to a name brand hound.

thanks for the feedback everyone. the townhome i am getting is 1820 sqft. 3 story unit. its a corner one and sort of has a view of the skyline, but pretty obscurred by a tree. right now there is an empty lot next to me, but i am sure that will change. it has about 10k in upgrades that i am not paying for like better fixtures, carpet, and tile plus a secruity system.

someone mentioned making sure my home is unique when i go to resell it, and that is something i am worried about. there are about a 100 other townhomes that look just like mine so what would motivate someone to buy it from me besides location. which brings me back to my original question, do you think my little area will develop like people are talking about on the "other side of the tracks" around navigation. it just doesn't look like they will put in a park or stores near me cuz there are profitable industries there that probably won't be leaving. for example, across the street from me is a exotic fruit werehouse and freedman's meat packing that probably won't move since they are making money. where as around navigation everything is so run down that they can put up all kinds of things.

thanks again for the advice.

/ david

Guest danax
which brings me back to my original question, do you think my little area will develop like people are talking about on the "other side of the tracks" around navigation.  it just doesn't look like they will put in a park or stores near me cuz there are profitable industries there that probably won't be leaving.

In 5 years there still won't be much retail around your immediate area, most likely. The place will probably have to get filled in before stores start popping up. I think it's got a good future since, as Midtown gets too expensive, it will be the cheapest and closest to DT townhouse area for entry-level buyers, unless maybe 3rd Ward starts to take off.

The good thing is the Bus Rapid Transit will be passing nearby on the way to UofH, which, theoretically, will be operating in 5 years and, also theoretically, will attract even more development.

I made a nice profit on my Perry, but you need something to set your's apart.

We had a gate and private patio and drive, which was rare.  I think there were only a few others like this on my side of Midtown.

Overall, the quality was great. 

Be sure to get a bannister.  They really help the look.

Midtown Coog, Where was your townhouse. Yours sounds very much like the Perry I own. I live at Taft and Drew !!

Perry may not be the best builder?

What makes you say that?  Poor construction?

Mine was top-notch.

Does anyone have a Perry home that has the basics of ridge vents and radiant barriers? This is an example of one of the many things omitted because most people don't know to ask. Better construction would lead to a much cheaper cost of home ownership.

They do a good job of including decorator items while omitting good construction techniques.

It's only my opinion.

Ridge venting is overrated though.  I have it on my new home and it doesn't appear to be much more efficient then attic fans.

Ridge venting with correct soffit venting is efficient. Skin venting is yet another improvement. This combination works extremely well in my home.

And that's the way most home buyers are. If you are happy with your home, that's all that matters.

I'm just a civil engineer who was completely anal while my house was being built. I took so many pictures and actually helped the city inspectors get tougher on my own builder. They build got so many emails and faxes they could try to avoid me either.

Does anyone have a Perry home that has the basics of ridge vents and radiant barriers?  This is an example of one of the many things omitted because most people don't know to ask.  Better construction would lead to a much cheaper cost of home ownership.

They do a good job of including decorator items while omitting good construction techniques.

It's only my opinion.

On the subject of radiant barriers, we just added the "foil" to our rafters in our Woodland Heights bungalow, and the result has been truly dramatic. The A/C actually stops during the day now! (The house already had conventional insulation in the attic floor.) It took about $250 in material to do our house, and it is an easy DIY job.

My understanding is that the type of attic venting doesn't matter as much as simply moving the corrent amount of air through the attic - keeping in mind you need both "intake" and "exhaust" vents.

As for the original question on Perry townhomes, I owned one in Montrose for 3 years, and felt that it was - at least in comparison to many other townhomes - fairly well built. I do agree though that if you are buying one, make sure it has some distinguishing features. Mine was a corner unit, with hardwood stairs, a usable backyard, and big trees, all of which I believe helped me sell it quickly. Friends who are trying to sell generic middle units in some of the larger townhome developments seem to be permanently stuck with them - and often end up taking a considerable loss.

As for increasing value, I wouldn't count on it. My opinion is that the first wave of development in a "new" area (e.g. East End) will offer some opportunity for price appreciation, but once there is a critical mass of interest and thus new townhome development in progress, and the builders adjust up the prices, you will be lucky to match inflation.

There is still a tremendous amount of undeveloped land within a few miles of downtown, and folks like Perry will continue to churn out hundreds of spankin' new townhomes identical to the one you buy. At that point, I feel that townhome market begins to mimic the car market, i.e. once you drive it off the lot, you've just lost 10% and the car isn't "new" anymore.

FWIW, in 5 years my townhome went up 5%, but with the 6% realtor gouging, means I lost 1%. I did a fairly detailed analysis of all my costs (and benefits - such as tax exemptions) during ownership, and owning was $200 - $300 a month cheaper than renting a comparable property. But, if you're looking for a safe 5% a year appreciation over the next 5 years, put your money in index funds. Buy the house becuase you like it, not because you think it is a good investment.

Ridge venting with correct soffit venting is efficient.  Skin venting is yet another improvement.  This combination works extremely well in my home.

Excuse me, but ridge venting with correct soffit venting is not efficient. That is probably one of the worst solutions for removing heat from the attic.

But, it's just my opinion.

Guest danax
Excuse me, but ridge venting with correct soffit venting is not efficient.  That is probably one of the worst solutions for removing heat from the attic. 

But, it's just my opinion.

I would love to hear of a better way. Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but I'm about to install soffit venting on my old house this weekend and it involves some modification that I'd rather not have to do. I have gable vents and have no plans to put ridge vents in as it's a hip roof with a tiny ridge. Are you thinking of polycell foam perhaps with zero venting.

But to maintain some connection with the original topic, I've noticed that a lot of Perry homes and new townhomes in general are either going with the cap vents or with old-fashioned turbines in some cases. A lot of that appears to be out of necessity due to the hip roofs that are becoming popular again than due to preference.

Okay, just asking, not a criticism, but why not buy old? Why the rush to buy A Perry when for the same amount you could get a solid older home in Eastwood, Idylwood, etc? I realize the draw for something in "move in" condition. But for $190's there are a a lot of things you could get in existing homes. Again, just asking....

Its good to hear people are happy with the Perry's they own. They have recieved a ton of bad press so its nice to see that the homeowners do enjoy the houses. It is important to add that Perry Homes do miss a few things that I feel are important to a good solid home. Here are a few of the points that I think they are missing that are important:

1. Perry doesn't go through the same inpection process regular builders do. I was asking a city structural inspector what they thought of the Perry's and they said they didn't even do windstorm inspections for Perry. Perry provides a certified engineer's report that they are windstorm'd correctly. Personally, I wish I could get away with that but I can't. I have plywood sheathing with a scrutinized nail pattern, and windstrapping and big expensive anchor bolst. The anchor bolts and plywood sheathing cost me thousands of dollars per home more than what Perry homes use as their windstorm.

2. Perry uses (as do most other builders), post tension slabs. PTS have proponets but my guess what the proponets really like is the cost of a PTS. I use piers when called for a real steel. When having to use piers I'm looking at about $150-200 per pier. Plus the steel is a bit more expensive than the cable. Steel is usually about 16 inches on center while the cable is set at about 36 inches on center giving the concrete a lot less reinforcement.

3. The ac's they put in are not considered very good by the HVAC industry.

After that there isn't much more I know about the homes. The finishes seem ok but not real interesting. The exterior elevations are really bland. The price is right.

As for reidge venting not being efficient? I really don't see a much more efficient way of removing heat. Gravity is about as efficient as it gets?

• The title was changed to Perry Homes In St. Charles Square

Archived