16-Story Parking Garage at Louisiana, Polk, Milam, Clay

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://imgur.com/a/gWC1L  

Looks like it might be topped out but couldn't see the tree.  

c/o Brent Oldbury on Twitter   https://twitter.com/Brent_Oldbury

Posted Images

A crown jewel for the Parking District! 

You know, I think the city should start promoting the Parking District with bogus statistics, the way they used to for the Theater District.  Putting out publicity like "Houston's Parking District has more parking spaces in a concentrated downtown area than any other parking district in the US."

• Like 2

A crown jewel for the Parking District!

You know, I think the city should start promoting the Parking District with bogus statistics, the way they used to for the Theater District. Putting out publicity like "Houston's Parking District has more parking spaces in a concentrated downtown area than any other parking district in the US."

I say take it a step further:

http://www.automatedroboticparking.com/more-common-overseas-automated-parking-garages-are-popping-up-in-the-us/

It could be a part of the new Nau Tourism Center or part of the double-decker bus tour too. "Come see Houston's first automatic parking garage." Add in some cheesy "City of Tomorrow" slogan and bam...immediate tourist attraction.

Omg its a parking garage I would rather have a 16 story than a flat lot..Plus a story still leaves room for ground floor while still addressing  Houston need for parking.. hell it actuall makes it easler .. in stead of a lot that can hold maybe 235, you can now hold 1600.. while not breaking street level retail(if you wanted)

Is parking really that short in downtown Houston?  Compared to other downtowns I have been to there seems like there are loads of parking (including an entire Parking District).  I'm not objecting to this garage, but I really have a hard time believing that there is a parking shortage.

Is parking really that short in downtown Houston?  Compared to other downtowns I have been to there seems like there are loads of parking (including an entire Parking District).  I'm not objecting to this garage, but I really have a hard time believing that there is a parking shortage.

It is not that short, but to keep it from getting bad, new parking garages are needed.

See P. 4 of the linked Coliler's survey: http://colliersink.com/2012/10/03/811/

Houston's parking availability is rated as "limited." As ancedotal evidence only, I do know that the Regency Garage across the street from this development has just raised their rates for all floors. They also have very high occupancy on all floors.

• Like 1

I agree one hundred percent that this is better than surface lots... if we must have parking, we may as well put the cars in a garage.  But it would be a shame to waste the opportunity for some additional street-level retail.  I hope they don't. 

The rendering doesn't appear to feature street-level retail.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never understood with a city as car dominated as Houston why we allow parking lots instead of parking towers...  Parking lots just seem like a money grab .. limited space creates demand which allows you to charge absurd prices.  For these companies it a win/win .. parking lot means I can charge asburb amount, if a company want to by the lot to build a building , they have to buy me out. I can point to how much money I make having it as a lot to force them to have to offer me alot more money for it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the 20+ parking lots set to be wiped out in a few years, it seems we may need about four or five more of these spread around downtown.

I would like more public-private partnerships with parking garages among the TIRZs along the Main St line. Houstonians who visit downtown will still need a place to park as surface lots make way for better use. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well while I think we have way to many parking structures in this town already. its way better than low use surface lot! What they should do more is put them more on the periphery of downtown that way it gets people to walk a little more at street level. 

I don't think anyone mentioned a wall of garages. If you are going to completely change the gist of the conversation to suit your point then it becomes pointless cause you are objecting against something you made up to make it sound unpalatable.

This 16 story garage is slated to have 1600 spots. So lets assume this is 100 slots per floor on a half lot building. This one building would eliminate the need for the ugly Skyhouse garage, the Marquette residential garage, the Hines MS garage and the garage for the 40 storey MS residential on the other side.

Now that is one building on a half lot.

Reduce the height to 12 floors and use a full lot and you get 2400. Put three of them in strategic areas near Pierce (either side), a few on the east side and a couple downtown itself and you Easily rack up 20,000 parking spaces. That's A fifth of all the parking currently downtown just in about 8 buildings spread about on the outskirts of downtown.

Even if you double the number of spots available downtown we don't need walls of Garages to accomplish this.

• Like 1
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to 16-Story Parking Garage at Louisiana, Polk, Milam, Clay