Scanlan Building At 405-407 Main St.

Moore713

^  Administration Building is being renovated:

Installation of fire sprinkler system

*Repair/Restoration of exterior concrete façade (Phase I)

*Repair/Restoration of exterior concrete façade (Phase II)
*5th Floor--Renovation of approximately 10K SqFt

Roof replacement

*Paint and carpet
*Masterplan for Tax Assessor's Office

Very interesting about the parking lot in the 400 block of Main.

EDIT:  It turns out the parking lot work in the 400 block of Main is not at all interesting.  Just resurfacing the lot.  :-(
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Harris County Admin Building And 405 Main St.
  • 1 month later...

The Scanlan Building is a historic 89,712 square foot commercial building situated on an 8,687 square foot corner lot at 405 Main St (and 407 Main St). 

It's a contributing Neo-Classical building, constructed circa 1908, located in the Main Street Market Square Historic District. The Scanlan Building is a City of Houston Landmark designated in April 2000, and is significant as the only known office building in Texas designed by the notable architect and city planner, Daniel H. Burnham of Chicago. 

- from the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission

n46CIxX.jpg

RcRK8oD.jpg

RyssaS3.jpg

DgsOWfP.jpg

On Loopnet

BOBl61x.jpg

wgq3fJo.jpg

Google Maps May 2022

aW2mv0i.jpg

vvK2mX3.jpg

• Like 1

Loopnet listing for the Scanlan Building. This is located at 405 Main St (and 407 Main St).

A couple of the current tenants include:

Subway (ground floor)
Expansive (co-working offices on the fifth floor; Novel Coworking was here)

More are listed on the Loopnet listing.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/405-Main-St-Houston-TX/20393389/

Select posts about 407 Main. This is a ground floor retail space located next to the parking lot.

While there have been many businesses operating there over the years, Live Sports Bar was the most recent one.

On 2/12/2009 at 12:58 PM, musicman said:

live sports bar also shut down for failure to pay rent. surprising cause they've actually hung in there for a good while.

On 2/12/2009 at 1:04 PM, kylejack said:

Hold on, that doesn't make sense. The owners of Live own that building, last I heard. Maybe the bank?

On 2/12/2009 at 1:10 PM, musicman said:

not sure. that was the email i got yesterday. i guess it had just happened.

On 2/12/2009 at 1:21 PM, kylejack said:

I used to do some promotional things for them (running free poker tournament) and I understood that they owned the building and only a small portion of the adjoining parking lot. Maybe a repo. Anyway, I find this news kind of surprising. They usually had a pretty good crowd, particularly weekends.

On 5/23/2011 at 11:26 AM, Daniepwils said:

What about that bar that has a outside patio on the second floor next to the Subway at Main and Preston. The patio overlooks that parking lot. Is that bar still open? I don't think it is.

On 5/23/2011 at 2:33 PM, arrodiii said:

You are talking about where Live Sports Bar used to be. That place hasn't been opened since after Hurricane Ike - that was kind of their last hurrah since they were the only bar in downtown that didnt have any damage and had a kitchen (though I admittedly don't remember if Market Square Grill was affected or not). A buddy of mine think that'll be a good spot and it might be but I think that they won't have enough room to brew their beer onsite, though I could be wrong.

I really don't know if any of those buildings over there are - I mean there are a couple of loft conversions that could be and if so, it couldn't be too far off base, but I really can't think of a "great intersection" over there. Plus Mayor Parker and Boby Eury of the Downtown District both mentioned it being a great addition to the Downtown retailers.

On 8/31/2015 at 11:09 AM, kbates2 said:

I am wondering what is up with a few places if anybody has any insight;

• Live Sports Bar - Same - I still see them doing renovations but extremely slowly.  

On 9/1/2015 at 11:01 AM, adr said:

It's limited to just the immediate surroundings of Market Square Park (and even then I should have zoomed out some, but here is a map of what's currently going on, in terms of new hospitality projects.

21063075165_476c5c641c_c.jpg

Here is the word on the street, starting at the top

Live Sports:  People are clearly working in here, but they seem to be under no pressure to open before football season begins.

Spots highlighted in blue are vacant ground-floor retail that have the potential to be hospitality spaces, but of which I haven't heard anything about

On 9/11/2015 at 1:04 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

All true. But how well did Live sports bar do in downtown with all those sports nights?

On 9/11/2015 at 1:08 PM, Howard Huge said:
On 9/11/2015 at 1:04 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

All true. But how well did Live sports bar do in downtown with all those sports nights?

Live sports bar is no Christian's Tailgate, not even close. Lives food sucked, the ambiance sucked and the service was terrible.

On 9/11/2015 at 2:20 PM, 102IAHexpress said:

I knew someone was going to post this. I've seen a variation of this written in the downtown forum once or twice before.

(insert new business name) will do great in downtown because the (insert failed business name) that was nearby was horrible, etc.. This time it will be different...

Like I said I want it to be successful, this is my neighborhood.  But I also can't ignore the observations in my neighborhood either. Just off the top of my head that exact same location has been a burger king, subway, what else? Last time I checked those are pretty big corporations with lots of resources and businesses experience. The sports bar a block away is undergoing its what, 3rd? re-launch.

On 10/11/2015 at 9:33 AM, MaggieMay said:

\How many years has the ground floor of the Scanlan Building boasted that "Live Sports Bar Coming" sign?

On 1/8/2016 at 2:00 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Live Sports Bar is still a go, they're just moving at a snail's pace even though they took down their Facebook. Here's a screenshot of their patio last summer before they took it down

spacer.png

On 1/8/2016 at 10:27 AM, kylejack said:

Is it the same guys that previously operated Live?

On 2/4/2016 at 11:09 AM, adr said:

Interesting.  The 60 day sign is down, and there is now the railing for a sidewalk cafe at Live Sports Bar.  The race is on - will they open before the Final Four?

24186215104_922c68eac9_b.jpg

On 2/4/2016 at 11:23 AM, cspwal said:

I'll be surprised if they open in time for the super bowl.  They've had that banner up since before Block 334 broke ground

On 5/5/2016 at 12:45 PM, Triton said:

Does living real close count? :lol:

It's amazing how much downtown has changed. I eat dinner in downtown every week now, something unheard of even a few years ago. There's just so much to do in downtown right now. By far my favorite joint is the Conservatory. There's also a cool new place that's opened up a few months back on the side of a tower that projects a giant screen onto the next tower... think it's called Live Sports Bar & Grill? Haven't gone there but it looks cool. The only place I kinda worry about is La Fisheria. Almost always looks dead during the critical lunch time crowd.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:16 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Live sports bar at 407 main looks to be closed permanently. Anyone know how long it’s been closed?

On 12/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, kbates2 said:

I tried to walk there to watch a World Series game and they were closed - so at least a couple of months.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Taking over the space previously home to Live Sports Bat at 407 Main St is a bar or dining concept named Bungalow.

This is another concept from local hospitality group Alife Hospitality. The group are responsible for bar & grill spots Prospect Park, Lost & Found, and Kamp. There's also Cake, a bakery that doubles as a night club (similar to Sugar Room on Washington Ave). 

Post about it earlier this year in the topic Downtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming:

On 2/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, jermh said:

There looks to be a new restaurant or bar called "Bungalow" where Live sports bar was at Main and Preston. There is some build-out happening in the opposite corner of the building too, but I don't know if it's part of the space since I never went inside live when it was open. 2nd floor patio looks re-done as well. 

PXL_20220205_205315834.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 1

More about Bungalow from a recent job listing. Bungalow is a restaurant opening soon at 407 Main St on the ground level of the Scanlan Building.

"Bungalow, our newest restaurant concept brings elevated dining and unmatchable vibes to the downtown area. From prime steak selections to chef driven dishes, Bungalow is the epitome of Southern cuisine meets classic dining."

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Quite the redo

It really is considering how the space was before. I think the Alife Hospitality, the proprietors of Bungalow, hired NHI Design for interior design. Some of the higher profile black-owned hospitality groups usually work with NHI Design. Alife Hospitality's Lost & Found, the Warwick, and Rare are a few restaurant examples.

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

It really is considering how the space was before. I think the Alife Hospitality, the proprietors of Bungalow, hired NHI Design for interior design. Some of the higher profile black-owned hospitality groups usually work with NHI Design. Alife Hospitality's Lost & Found, the Warwick, and Rare are a few restaurant examples.

The only things that seems a bit off from the photos (to me) are the completely open windows and doors in the front, which appears (to me) to be quite an affront to the intimacy of the space.  Perhaps they have curtains to cover the windows, at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 11:03 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

There's a really cool mural going up on the side of this building

Info on the mural at the Scanlan Building, located at 405 Main St and others part of Big Art Bigger Change.:

"On Saturday, October 15, downtown Houston will transform into an open-air museum with the unveiling of a new fine art mural exhibition coined Big Art. Bigger Change...The large-scale project spans a mile-long stretch of the Bayou City. It's a collective effort between Central Houston, Inc. (CHI), a member-driven organization focused on the betterment of the downtown neighborhood, and Street Art for Mankind (SAM), a global non-profit which leans on the power of art to trigger social change, with funding from the Houston Downtown Management District and corporate partner TotalEnergies."

https://www.chron.com/culture/arts/article/houston-big-art-bigger-change-mural-17504973.php

More coverage:

https://www.downtownhouston.org/art-blocks/

https://www.click2houston.com/houston-life/2022/10/10/how-to-paint-a-giant-mural-in-downtown-houston/

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/murals-in-downtown-houston-big-art-bigger-change/

Progress of Case Maclaim's mural on the Scanlan Building located at 405 Main St. The photos are from Chron.com, Street Art for Mankind, and Stream Houston.

ToxMK9b.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjgJQ31JD66/

Zej20Wg.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjrV_0qsYmp/

gaHiEps.jpg

yhnGIF3.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjhXNWYuiya/
sIkZg5B.jpg

Screenshot from Houston Life

F0W86fI.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjdyxl8OCiS/
HOyoZOt.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It appears local hospitality group Alife Hospitality has plans for a lounge.

According to a recent architectural barriers project filed with the Texas Department of License and Regulation, a lounge is in planning at the Scanlan Building:

• Remodel of existing restaurant lease of 6,140 square feet of interior space & 222 square feet of rooftop patio finishes. 

Bungalow Lounge is the possible name of the project. The filing also lists 405 Main St, Suite 100 and 260 as the address.

Houston-based 2X Studio is the architect.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023009477

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

So the restaurant is being closed and replaced with a lounge of the same name or is this the old Subway space and the second-floor terrace above the existing restaurant?

I don't think Bungalow is closing its location at 407 Main St. But based off the address, I'm not sure where Bungalow Lounge is going exactly. 

My initial thought was maybe Bungalow Lounge is replacing Subway at 405 Main St (either suite 100 or suite 101). I really don't know yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Scanlan Building At 405-407 Main St.
  • 3 weeks later...