Does East Downtown Need An Inane Made-Up Name

bachanon

Name for that area east of downtown  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What about "Eado"?

• You've got to be kidding..
    • Why, I think "Eado" is perfectly grand!
    • It needs a name, just another one
    • It has been decided. We must accept and say nothing.

On 10/6/2013 at 9:57 AM, ricco67 said:

I'm still cringing at the name.

Indeed. Too much like "Sea-do", "eat-do.....do?". Is it do like doo or is it doe? Stupid. We aren't Manhattan. What's next? Is South Houston going to be "Soho"? Crap...probably shouldn't put that out there.

Like the renderings and location. Hate anything "eado".

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I neither love it or hate it but the "EaDo" name is not going away any day soon so the incessant complaining in almost every HAIF thread related to "EaDo" named projects or the EaDo area itself, is frankly, a waste of time. It's just a name, time to get over it and move on because it obviously isn't holding back any progress the area is making.

Are the apartments actually called "EaDo Station Apartments" or is that just a place holder for the graphics?  Is the station at this location actually called "EaDo" Station?  I wouldn't want to eat at any restaurants with a name that looked like "Eat-Do".

Is the area actually "Harrisburg"?  Why not go with a historic name?

Yes.  Off topic.  BAD MOD!  BAD MOD!!

This "East Side" development is very cool.  I am super happy that "Harrisburg" is coming back strong as my family worked in this area between the forties and the sixties.  I do not know that I would want to live so close to a stadium, I wonder if they soundproof?

I rather like the idea of keeping Harrisburg alive in some way.  However, isn't the area we're discussing actually located to the west of old Harrisburg?  If so, perhaps we should start a movement to call it "West Harrisburg" or "WeHa", instead of "EaDo"?  I think WeHa is more original and in any case is more fun because it sounds like "Yee-ha!"  :-)

It was pointed out, and rightfully so, that discussions about projects in downtown were being hijacked by people (such as myself) that are appalled at the repellent name that has been attached to the area.  Therefore here's a new topic devoted to venting about it.

Edited to add a scientific poll.

the area is part of the 'downtown superneighborhood' it is east. east downtown makes sense from that point of view. eado does not, nor will it ever make sense.

I'd rather spend the extra money, buy all the vowels and call it east downtown. I'd rather it be called EDT, if it were to be given a ginned up name.

I kinda like East End or East Side.  That made up moniker sounds so phony and the folks over here might be a lot of things but phony isn't one of them.

I would still like to know who came up with the term "eado".  I don't believe that it could have been anyone that lives anywhere near Houston's east end.

I do know that we didn't get a flyer on our door knob or an email from the GEEMD about it.  Not sure how far "eado" reaches, maybe it's just meant for those areas closer to Dynamo. 

No matter, I still don't like it.

I kinda like East End or East Side.  That made up moniker sounds so phony and the folks over here might be a lot of things but phony isn't one of them.

I would still like to know who came up with the term "eado".  I don't believe that it could have been anyone that lives anywhere near Houston's east end.

I believe it was dreamed up by marketing consultants that were hired after the district was created.

So how is it really pronounced? Doo, Doe, or Dow? 

doh!

and Little Frau, when the name was first sung from the heavens on high, I was quick to find a map, the boundary of east downtown only extends as far as the rail line that goes to the west of eastwood. which is good for most east end residents, when someone asks if you live in eado, you can say 'oh God no!'

Guest Jackwood

Wow. Your lives really must suck a lot. I can't wait to get to EADO. I'm going to bring everyone I know to EADO. I love EADO. I can't wait to see what they build next in EADO. EADO Station is going to rock. I hope they change the name of the light rail line going through it to the EADO line. I want EADO to get it's own football team so that I can hear the name on t.v. 

Wow. Your lives really must suck a lot. I can't wait to get to EADO. I'm going to bring everyone I know to EADO. I love EADO. I can't wait to see what they build next in EADO. EADO Station is going to rock. I hope they change the name of the light rail line going through it to the EADO line. I want EADO to get it's own football team so that I can hear the name on t.v. 

I can only guess that by the defensive nature of your post that you either were on the committee that approved the name, or were a member of the committee that came up with the name. in either case, you did a horrible job.

if you're just a regular guy, I'm sorry to have assumed the above, but there's no reason to get so defensive about the name and how people make fun of it, it is a silly name, even if you like it, you should see that.

I can only guess that by the defensive nature of your post that you either were on the committee that approved the name, or were a member of the committee that came up with the name. in either case, you did a horrible job.

if you're just a regular guy, I'm sorry to have assumed the above, but there's no reason to get so defensive about the name and how people make fun of it, it is a silly name, even if you like it, you should see that.

Im guessing/hoping his post was sarcasm brought on by the "outrage" this name seems to have created...

Eado is in the East End as a sub-neighborhood that was more or less created with the construction of the Ballpark Lofts and the re-purposed Meridian nightclub in the early to mid 2000's. It's a name folks who live/work/play there recited to claim the area as their own nab separate but within the East End (and since no one actually lived here before in actual homes for decades prior). Who cares who coined the term; it's not an original name or anything clever but neither is the name Montrose (an aside, when Montrose became The Montrose it lost it's vitality and cohesiveness the same way Marigny did when it became The Marigny).

It's boundaries (clockwise) are roughly defined as Chartres to the west, Commerce to the north, then a jog along the rail line to the southeast, south along Dowling as the eastern boundary, and then west along St. Joseph pkwy as the southern bound. The freeways and the train tracks do a good job of hemming the nab together. It could theoretically expand east past St. Charles if gentrification continues although once you get to around Velasco St. the area subtly changes into Eastwood with it's more conservative lifestyle of town-homes and biking paths with less abandoned industrial and more active use industrial.

People have called Montrose "The Montrose" since the 70's.

As for Eado? I always just call it Old Chinatown.

Exactly "The Montrose" is full of townhomes, noise complaints, and dog walkers for hire.

Montrose was full of gay bars, weekend gay bashers, and underage alcohol consumption.

edit:

Call it what you want but Old Chinatown doesn't get you very far past the Kim Son to me. :)

Guest Jackwood

Yes. I invented EADO. It's my baby. I also invented SOHO, SCUBA, LASER and HAIF too. I plan to take over the world one acronym at a time.

Seriously, as long as they keep improving the physical appearance of EADO they can call it "Sewer City" for all I care (not really). Maybe it's just a coincidence, but ever since they starting calling it EADO and giving the area an identity, nothing but good things have happened. That area has been neglected for a century until someone decided to call it EADO. Whatever works.

Defensive? I don't care about the name. I can live with it. There is nothing in this world that can't be improved, but I'm definitely not going to lose any sleep over it. If you are, that's your problem.

Exactly "The Montrose" is full of townhomes, noise complaints, and dog walkers for hire.

Montrose was full of gay bars, weekend gay bashers, and underage alcohol consumption.

edit:

Call it what you want but Old Chinatown doesn't get you very far past the Kim Son to me. :)

Old chinatown is almost to the point where they'll be putting up a historical marker so folks know where it used to be. Pretty soon it'll just be kim son.

Come to think of it, maybe we should start calling it the kim son district. ;)

Guest Jackwood

Great idea. 3 people from HAIF can call it the kim son district and the rest of the world will call it EADO, just like what the signs on the streets, parks and buildings are going to say.

doh!

and Little Frau, when the name was first sung from the heavens on high, I was quick to find a map, the boundary of east downtown only extends as far as the rail line that goes to the west of eastwood. which is good for most east end residents, when someone asks if you live in eado, you can say 'oh God no!'

Well, thank goodness.  That's sure a relief!

So I did find a map (never thought to look before) and it's a bit sad to see the area is such a small little fraction of an area east of downtown.   Another tidbit I discovered (not that it was lost to anyone except me) is that the GEEMD which actually does cover the whole east end, is completely different from EDMD which is the district that created "eado".   The EDMD apparently did solicit names for their proposed new district and the best that polled folks could come up with was "eado". 

That's a bit sad too.

Um, like I said, since the 70's, which is exactly when the gay scene really exploded in Montrose. 

A better example might be "Neartown," but that never really went anywhere.

I lived in and around Montrose from '68 until '72 and I and my large circle of friends never called it The Montrose. 

It was just Montrose.  And yes, the gay scene was there, all over the place but granted, there were not as many bars and clubs. 

I  got married in '72 and moved from Montrose.  Maybe they added the "The" after I left.

People have called Montrose "The Montrose" since the 70's.

That is probably correct.  I remember Montrose being called The Montrose as far back as the early 1980s.  I was never aware of any different connotations to the two terms; I just thought they were interchangeable.  Unlike Eado, at least The Montrose has at least 30 years of usage behind it.  That’s a lot more than, say, Uptown (at least in Uptown’s current location).  Long-established popular usage does carry some weight in these things. 

What especially gripes me about “Eado” isn’t that they set out to create a name for the district, it’s that they resorted to such a trite, hackneyed naming convention that has been used by countless other cities to designate neighborhoods that they wish to be seen as hip and arty (places like Orlando).  Copying a naming formulation that way is just so second rate-and striving, and a first-class city should be embarrassed to resort to it.  Even more amazing, people have been wanting a **Do area in Houston for a long time.  In the past there were proposals for NoDo and SoDo.  It’s like the city somehow wasn’t complete without one. 

What it makes me think of is an insecure teenager who worries about being cool, so he goes out and gets a tee-shirt that says “I’m really quite cool”.  He might think that people will buy it, and doubtlessly some will, but the real message that comes across is “I’m very shallow and insecure”.   

As the saying goes, if you try to make an impression, that’s the impression you make.  

I do like the Kim Son District though!  It's unique!

Archived