When the street level businesses are also paying them rent, I do think they care actually.

I doubt they really care how active the street life is, they just care what the rent is that they can charge. There may be some tie in, but my guess is that rent is going to be dictated more by the proximity to BBVA than whether or not there's a skybridge.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the townhomes next to this place and think it will benefit the area, skybridge or not, EADO moniker regardless.  Selfishly, part of my view of downtown will be blocked but the rendering looks pretty good and I can live without the view I once had.  It is mostly just a parking lot now.  If no one else uses the park because of the evil skybridge, I will most definitely use it to walk my dog in (don't worry, I pick up after her).

Will the inner courtyard on the other building have a pool in it? If so, that provides more reason for a skybridge.  Some folks may be a little self concious if they have to cross the park in their swimming togs.  The skybridge will alleviate that embarassment slightly, perhaps.

Despite my irritation with all of the whining going on in this thread, I think "Death Spiral Park" would be a good name for it. Credit should go to livinco for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Lame. I actually liked this project, even with the bridge over the park.

When multifamily projects are getting cancelled on rail lines next to stadiums a stone throw from downtown in a great local economy, it means... we're still not there.

Wow.  Negative about the project's announcement and negative about the project's cancellation.  Are you aiming for a personal best?  ;-)

There are so many possible reasons for a project's cancellation that it is a bit of a stretch to draw any meaning from it as to our entire city's "being there" or not.

Wow.  Negative about the project's announcement and negative about the project's cancellation.  Are you aiming for a personal best?  ;-)

There are so many possible reasons for a project's cancellation that it is a bit of a stretch to draw any meaning from it as to our entire city's "being there" or not.

We absolutely need to over-react as much as possible to this cancellation.  The cancellation of this one multi-family project is a sign of imminent decline.  Never mind the fifty or so other multi-family projects under construction...

We absolutely need to over-react as much as possible to this cancellation.  The cancellation of this one multi-family project is a sign of imminent decline.  Never mind the fifty or so other multi-family projects under construction...

There could be any number of reasons.  That said, it is inevitable that one day the housing market and economy will slow down after several years now of growth.  Whether the cancellation of one project marks a turning point won't be apparent for a few years, but I would never rule the possibility out.  

It's not that. I understand you care very little about downtown, but many people do and find this to be unfortunate.

It's not that. I understand you care very little about downtown, but many people do and find this to be unfortunate.

Well I care about it a great deal, and there is a lot of residential coming in to Downtown right now. Things are looking good, and this one project being canceled is not that big of a deal.

Well I care about it a great deal, and there is a lot of residential coming in to Downtown right now. Things are looking good, and this one project being canceled is not that big of a deal.

I agree with kylejack.  The cancellation of a single project is not an indication of a trend especially if you don't know the reason that it was cancelled.  As subdude mentioned, maybe looking backward someone will identify that this was a turning point, but it's pretty premature to make that assumption now.

So what you're saying is that amongst all the new developments going on within and near downtown, particularly on the redline (609 main, sky house, alliance, super block, broadstone, mid main, etc), it's this one canceled project that is cause for concern?

Very well said! There's so much going on here it's almost hard getting around to see it all. And most of the projects are just starting.

Visitors that come back for the next Super Bowl aren't going to recognize the place. They've started to reconstruct the entrance to Herman Park , and build the new gardens. So many game changers all at once. Add in Buffalo Bayou and the Kinder Donation, major additions to the museum district, and Hobby Airport. Not bad!

So what you're saying is that amongst all the new developments going on within and near downtown, particularly on the redline (609 main, sky house, alliance, super block, broadstone, mid main, etc), it's this one canceled project that is cause for concern?

The concern that you're hearing is because this was probably the closest thing to true TOD that was proposed.  It had ground floor retail, it was close to transit, and it got cancelled.

The concern that you're hearing is because this was probably the closest thing to true TOD that was proposed.  It had ground floor retail, it was close to transit, and it got cancelled.

how is skyhouse any less TOD? it's denser, has just as much retail and is directly on the redline. same with mid-main. in fact i think mid-main is far and away the most TOD out of all of them.

to me it's just more bawking from the chicken littles.

how is skyhouse any less TOD? it's denser, has just as much retail and is directly on the redline. same with mid-main. in fact i think mid-main is far and away the most TOD out of all of them.

to me it's just more bawking from the chicken littles.

Not to split hairs, but SkyHouse isn't proposed, it's under construction. He said this was the closest thing to TOD proposed. Mid-Main is also very TOD, but seems further down the pipeline than this one.

Not to split hairs, but SkyHouse isn't proposed, it's under construction. He said this was the closest thing to TOD proposed. Mid-Main is also very TOD, but seems further down the pipeline than this one.

Didn't realize that my statement was going to get parsed quite as much as it did, but then again, I should know better.  :)

My intent was that there are a large number of residential developments underway and a smaller subset of those are TOD.  The ones that are TOD generate a higher level of interest, commentary, and melodrama on his forum.

The concern that you're hearing is because this was probably the closest thing to true TOD that was proposed. It had ground floor retail, it was close to transit, and it got cancelled.

There are TOD projects being built in downtown and midtown, and many possibilities with the next 3 rail lines as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

http://swamplot.com/land-is-being-cleared-for-new-apartments-next-to-the-soccer-stadium/2014-08-28/

Just read this in Swamplot. Is anyone familiar with another apartment project by the Dynamo stadium?

I took a picture of that lot yesterday but didn't get a chance to post it - I wondered what was going on....

Archived