For those asking, this is clearly the parking portion. Take a closer look and you'll see angles that bring the cars to the next levels. I didn't take pictures of the whole thing but the angles exist. Plus, look at the concrete blocks on each floor. Those aren't there for apartment units, they are there to put a type of guard rail in place for cars.

Adr, it's a quick mock up of the exterior to give the developers an idea of what it will look like. Perhaps to see how the materials work together. I'll let someone with more knowledge explain this better than me but that's the gist of it.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what this thing is and why is it already has the exterior finished?

This is a finash test / example peice. Often used to show what the desired finish is of the building. This has no other function and will be removed when the structure is nearing completion.

For those asking, this is clearly the parking portion. Take a closer look and you'll see angles that bring the cars to the next levels. I didn't take pictures of the whole thing but the angles exist. Plus, look at the concrete blocks on each floor. Those aren't there for apartment units, they are there to put a type of guard rail in place for cars.

Here's a pic from a different angle...

post-30-0-76626100-1421709044_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointing. I wonder how long these kind of structures are designed/supposed to last.

It is mostly a matter of maintenance. I lived in a 50 year old garden style apartment (wood-framed, cement board siding) near St. Thomas University that was very well kept by the owner. Only a few blocks away were similar structures that were practically falling down.

As we saw in the Greenspoint and Alief areas with the economic downturn of the 1980s, this type of building does not stand up to neglect (do any?). When the economy sours, and rents go down, landlords have less (or are at least inclined to spend less) on maintenance. The tenants stop caring too and a vicious cycle is begun.

• 2 weeks later...

I see some similarities starting to show up -- the little mock-up they built has similar dark brick.  The one corner appears to have a 2 story ground floor that could be the rental office area shown in the Strata picture...some of the large overhangs seem to match the Strata pic also.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived