History Of Everything In Houston

matty1979

I have an idea for an amazing book or tv program.

So we could start a citywide campaign to ask people to submit their pictures,video,books,memorabilia and whatever they see fit to publish a book or create a local tv show dedicated to Houston and its history.

It could have a title that like "The History of Houston: Everything you always wanted to know"

Or "History of Houston in pictures"

Rough draft of course but I have a few more ideas.

This would be about all that we love about our city. Not just buildings or pictures from the chronicle but pics that were actually submitted by Houstonians.

Give me some ideas or if I sound totally crazy then tell me why an idea like this wouldn't work.

You guys are great! Thanks!

So why exactly in your opinion does this city "suck"? What part did you grow up or live in?

Im not saying Houston is the greatest at timesyou but surely you had to have had some sort of positive experience.

There are already quite a few books on this subject. I only actually knew about them thanks to this website. The first one is Houston: The Unknown City, 1836-1946 (http://www.amazon.com/Houston-Unknown-1836-1946-Lindsey-Humanities/dp/1603445234).

Not the kind of book you look at so to see a bunch of old pictures, but very interesting and cool.

If you are more interested in pictures, Houston Then & Now is a great book. Although it is already a bit dated (almost 10 years ago), it is still very interesting. (http://www.amazon.com/Houston-Then-Now/dp/1592231373). I would actually like to see an updated version, with about 2 or 3 times the amount of photos. Also, I wish they would include timeline photos of how it progressed over the decades versus just comparing 1940 & 2004.

I started a small playlist on YouTube of Houston-related stuff: there was a video of the MKT paralleling I-10, a Foley's commercial, and an Auchan commercial. I didn't do a whole lot with it, though, but the idea was to make a "Houston history" thing of sorts.

• 4 weeks later...

I started a small playlist on YouTube of Houston-related stuff: there was a video of the MKT paralleling I-10, a Foley's commercial, and an Auchan commercial. I didn't do a whole lot with it, though, but the idea was to make a "Houston history" thing of sorts.

Could you link to this? I'd really like to see the MKT video.

Also a problem with this would be licensing of people's content.

Wow thank you! It's hard to believe that's Park Ten! It looks like something you'd see West of Katy.

I know I've been on this site too long when I try to place the period and location by the buildings that are there.

And for some reason the fact that the signs that Stan Creech Properties used then and today look exactly the same jumped out at me. Wait. Maybe that's the sign of too much HAIF-ing...

History? Houston? Ha! What history? Houston tears it all down!

It is true Houston has a habit of tearing down the physical manifestations of its history but it has much history none-the-less. For a city of its age I think Houston and the surrounding area has a tremendous history.

As a small example consider the history attached to just this short list of people (in no particular order): Michael DeBakey, Will Clayton, JoAnne Herring, Roy Hofheinz, Bill Beverly, James Baker, Dick Dowling, Denton Cooley, Red Adair, Oveta Culp Hobby, Glen McCarthy, Howard R. Hughes, Jr., Jesse H. Jones, Ima Hogg, Leopold Stokowski, Gerald Hines, Percy Foreman . . . Every time I think of one name it gives rise to two or three others. You get the idea.

• 2 months later...

Are you familiar with Houston Arts and Media?   Their HAM Slices of History air as fillers at the end of programs on Channel 8 and they've produced a number of longer documentaries.  They used to have a 30 minute weekly program on Channel 55 (repeated during the week a couple of times) that was my favorite show on TV at the time.  I wish some other broadcaster would give them a slot but the problem with TV production is it's very expensive and time-consuming on top of the researching and gathering of the content.

Their current work tends to cover material that predates any of us posting on HAIF but the old series covered some much more recent history.

There is also JR Gonzales Bayou City History blog in the Chron.

Holy cow, IronTiger, those are your YouTube vids of the Katy geeps? Awesome man, absolutely awesome. We used to stick coins and rocks on that line at Waverly, just east of the yard.

I was actually on the news back in the late 80's when the two trains went head on with each other at the curve between Heights and White Oak. Still remember the look on that old woman's face as she was looking at the covered hopper laying alongside her house. That was one incident in which everyone was very fortunate the trains on that line moved so slowly.

• The title was changed to History Of Everything In Houston

Archived