Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Living in downtown is fantastic, especially if you work here too. Clothes Shopping is a bit of a bother (often have to drive somewhere) but, entertainment, sports, performing arts, open spaces, fitness clubs, social clubs, dining, movie theater, live music, food, toiletries, hair salons, massages, eye doctors, dentists, doctors, jewelry stores (get a watch battery replaced, ect), post offices, cell phone stores, basic shoe store (Payless), Jos. A Banks, F21, Maxamaria something (high end womens store), etc are all walkable.

All that said, the point is well taken, downtown does not have the size or selection of stores that the galleria does and likely never will. But, hopefully, downtown will get one or two "urban anchor" concepts in the next few years. If it does, there will be no better place to live anywhere in the city (at least in my opinion)!

• Like 6

One way the developer is saving money is by re-using the name.  Marquette Companies just finished a similar building in Chicago also called Catalyst. Lame.

This is smart. One thing that costs a lot of money is thinking of a new name. Say, for example, Altura. I just thought of that name. Didn't really cost me anything, but then consider the time it would take to change it in the spreadsheet that links to all the advertising materials, etc. Now you're talking time. And time is money. Smart move.

[/sarcasm]

• Like 3

One way the developer is saving money is by re-using the name. Marquette Companies just finished a similar building in Chicago also called Catalyst. Lame.

Are building names trademarked (or other IP?)?

If so, I can see how a trademark search might be expensive and costly to perform for every building. Do it once and build it over and over. Kinda like SkyHouse.

• Like 2

Other than Elvis?

I named a cat once. It never came to me when I called it.

larry, elvis is dead... or we can only assume.  and as for the "cat"... please remember that cat's have nine lives.  maybe he / she was used to it's first name.....

• Like 2

Peculiar name aside, I really do like this project.  Five years ago I never would have believed that the eastern slice of downtown would become a hotbed of high-rise residential development.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the next big downtown wave is going to be restaurant development.  All of those people living downtown are going to want places to eat after the tunnels close in the evening.  

Peculiar name aside, I really do like this project.  Five years ago I never would have believed that the eastern slice of downtown would become a hotbed of high-rise residential development.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the next big downtown wave is going to be restaurant development.  All of those people living downtown are going to want places to eat after the tunnels close in the evening.  

Any particular names you'd like to see? I think a downtown Golden Corral would be kind of fun.

Flame away.

Peculiar name aside, I really do like this project. Five years ago I never would have believed that the eastern slice of downtown would become a hotbed of high-rise residential development.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the next big downtown wave is going to be restaurant development. All of those people living downtown are going to want places to eat after the tunnels close in the evening.

The last part of your passage may have been prophetic..Just read a article in eaters about a popular Washington ave restaurant that is deliberately shutting down it Washington front to move downtown.He cite a decrease on foot traffic and a increase in foot traffic downtown as well as all the new residential towers being built..He also hinted that other restaurants owners may follow suit and abandone their current location for locations downtown..He said he is in negotiations for the former ERA spot but nothing is final and he is also looking at other downtown locations

• Like 2

Any particular names you'd like to see? I think a downtown Golden Corral would be kind of fun.

Flame away.

Well, perhaps not a Golden Corral, but some inexpensive restaurants would be just the thing.  Something like Jason's Deli, Panera Bread or Chipotle would do killer business.

C'mon man, I want to sit with a bowl of soft serve covered with gummy bears looking at multi-million dollar real estate and cutting edge architecture.

Plus, I think there is a Jason's on Travis Street and maybe Walker?

Seriously?  Not all downtown residential development is "cutting edge architecture".  It's not like the experience of seeing cutting edge architecture is some sort of mystical experience that miraculously changes people's taste in or budgets for food.  Look around NY.  There are plenty of quick and easy delis around.  My point is that just because development is downtown we can't assume that it will all be inhabited by wealthy people who must have exclusive restaurants and retail.  Thinking of downtown as an enclave for the rich or "upscale" is not only factually wrong, but risks hurting development in the long run. 

Seriously?  Not all downtown residential development is "cutting edge architecture".  It's not like the experience of seeing cutting edge architecture is some sort of mystical experience that miraculously changes people's taste in or budgets for food.  Look around NY.  There are plenty of quick and easy delis around.  My point is that just because development is downtown we can't assume that it will all be inhabited by wealthy people who must have exclusive restaurants and retail.  Thinking of downtown as an enclave for the rich or "upscale" is not only factually wrong, but risks hurting development in the long run. 

I think you missed the point of my post. I just liked the incongruity of a Golden Corral and all the high value development downtown, and I was being quite serious. Unfortunately the value of the real estate dictates that most new restaurants that we see will either be fast food or upscale, but I would love to have a good traditional lowbrow eating place like LC Cafeteria was.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

are any of these new restaurants projected to be high-rises?