Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we are looking at Prairie and Austin or Texas and La Branch? If Texas and La Branch, those are significant shade trees on the Texas side that would be lost so they can have a suburban-style entrance drive. If Prairie and Austin, I just hope they don't leave a dull façade on Texas.

I wonder if we are looking at Prairie and Austin or Texas and La Branch? If Texas and La Branch, those are significant shade trees on the Texas side that would be lost so they can have a suburban-style entrance drive. If Prairie and Austin, I just hope they don't leave a dull façade on Texas.

Would the circles be the existing trees? 

The other rendering shows the orientation.

img_block52.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say the same but they do resemble each other.

Walking around disturb you do see many buildings that do resemble each other.

It is just the period that they were built.

There are a few Cotton exchange era building, there are a few that resemble the Rice Hotel architecture, the Texas Tower (609 main) looked similar to others etc.

Every tower cannot be a signature tower. There are only so many things you can do to stand out.

But I agree with you. Handsome buildings but this one, Block 98 And Hines resemble each other

Oh and if this project is for real, then this along with the Market Square residential is going to be amazing. Is there an exact start date, or can we just expect something next month?

Sounds like someone here heard something specific enough to know next month. 

A few months back I took a picture of the soil sample drill truck doing its thing on this lot, so it is most certainly more than a rumor, whether the rendering is 100% accurate, who knows. 

• Like 1

One big thing I wonder about all of this stuff is the climate.  Houston is hot, humid, and rains a lot in the summer.  With wide spaces between buildings, lots of asphalt and concrete, maybe some landscaping, trees, etc can be developed at each place to create shade for walkers and city parks etc can help as well. I really like that bricking on the road I saw on another thread.

This block actually has a number of oak trees surrounding it. One of the plan views of the rendering shows them attempting to keep a number of them, hope that works. 

The shaded walk in front of the Rice Hotel is actually fairly decent even in the summer, though perhaps only relatively because you just walked out of blazing direct sun on asphalt. In any case, it would be a nice thing for designers to emulate. 

It has been said before here, but with this building, 500 Crawford and 609 Main going up, Texas Street will be a really visually unique city street. If something were to go up on the block across from this one, you would have nice stuff from the bayou all the way to the ballpark. 

One big thing I wonder about all of this stuff is the climate. Houston is hot, humid, and rains a lot in the summer. With wide spaces between buildings, lots of asphalt and concrete, maybe some landscaping, trees, etc can be developed at each place to create shade for walkers and city parks etc can help as well. I really like that bricking on the road I saw on another thread.

If they just put that drive up entrance on the west side on Austin St then they could keep the mature oak trees along Texas and not cut through the sidewalk. Texas probably has the second most potential after Main downtown as a walkable urban street. Shame to see it mistreated.

Edited by H-Town Man

When I used to walk in downtown daily I just chose the side of the street that had shadows from the surrounding buildings. If there are enough buildings around you can walk a long distance almost never being exposed to the sun.

Trees are much better than no trees though.

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 1

Well, we now know why it looks like the other towers.

Marquette Cos. has been active in Houston for a while, buying and renovating various smaller apartment complexes, but the Illinois-based developer is closing on a piece of prime downtown property in June to develop its first high-rise multifamily project.

Marquette Cos.  will break ground this quarter on a 364-unit, 29-story apartment building with approximately 7,700 square feet of ground floor retail space in downtown Houston, a block from the Houston Astro’s Minute Maid Park. Ziegler Cooper is the architect and Pepper-Lawson Construction LP, the Texas division of Chicago-based Pepper Construction Group LLC, is the contractor. The cost of the project was not disclosed.

The apartment high-rise, dubbed Block 52, will include a 589-space private parking garage situated above the retail space and below the residential units, as well as two floors of amenities including a resort-style, rooftop pool. Rental prices will range from $2.70 to $2.80 per square foot for apartments ranging in size from approximately 600 to 1,800 square feet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/04/future-office-construction-inspiration-for-new.html

• Like 1