Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Texas Avenue goes between Annunciation Catholic Church on the south and the old train station in front of the south end of minute maid park. It continues under 59 and past BBVA Compass stadium on the east side and turns into harrisburg which runs all the way out to 225.

The ballpark hotel, Vic and Anthony's and Fingers project are right around there also, so there will be a great deal of pedestrian traffic, not to mention game days when the area is full of people. This will significantly change the east side.
Service oriented businesses will start to pop up, followed by maybe a convenience store and grocery store, which is probably the most glaring necessity missing on that side. I know the Phoenicia is in the Fingers condo tower that faces Discovery Green but they are mostly import products. This side of town desperately needs a good grocery store and with all of these new projects along with the growth on the east side of 59 perhaps the numbers will justify one of the chains  building on the East side.

Would you include Pheonicia's in One Park Place....? It's just a few blocks away from this.

Yea that counts for sure, but it isn't an everyday store.

Phoenicia isn't very pricey for the regular items, people just see it as a specialty only store.

Pro Tip: buy all of your spices there!  They are very cheap and very good!

Edited by ChrisPHous
  • Like 1

So many buildings ABOUT to break ground downtown I can hardly stand it, I've got Bank of the Southwest Syndrome (BSS), keep thinking a dire economic crash is going to derail everything right before it happens. Feel like walking the streets like a madman with a shovel and breaking ground everywhere myself.

• Like 9

So many buildings ABOUT to break ground downtown I can hardly stand it, I've got Bank of the Southwest Syndrome (BSS), keep thinking a dire economic crash is going to derail everything right before it happens. Feel like walking the streets like a madman with a shovel and breaking ground everywhere myself.

You should try to build your own tower on a random parking lot.

• Like 1

(bss) hilarious!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess they are doing soil samples right now? I didn't capture it in this photo but if you look to the lower left side, there is actually a large mound of dirt there which I honestly can't tell where it came from... Would be cool if they started early on this though.

Fingers Apartments are going up across the way. If you look closely you can see the green fence wrapped around the block as well a track hoe.

What he said. You can actually see the excavator for the Fingers apartments near the center. This one is supposed to go up in Q2, but they may be starting early...? My theory though is that they are simply taking soil samples for the engineers.

What he said. You can actually see the excavator for the Fingers apartments near the center. This one is supposed to go up in Q2, but they may be starting early...? My theory though is that they are simply taking soil samples for the engineers.

Yes just soil samples, usually done a few months before construction. They pulled up the pavement last month.

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't catch that. It took over a decade but look what a downtown ballpark brought! :)

Do NOT assume that this is going up just because there's a ballpark.  Ballparks do NOT attract new development, they simply (at best) cause development that would have happened somewhere else to be relocated.  More than likely this would have just happened someplace else if the ballpark wasn't there.  Look at all the other residential towers proposed for downtown, were THEY because of the ballpark??? Stop trying to connect this to the ballpark.  Ballparks have never inspired development and never will.  This has happened over and over in U.S. cities, and every ballpark has lost money.  Next you'll be telling me that it's because of the toy train over left field.  The $250 million spent on this should have gone toward creating a bunch of little ballparks all over the suburbs, which would have served a lot more baseball players than the few who use the downtown ballpark.  Did you know that only 1% of baseball jobs are located downtown?  

Do NOT assume that this is going up just because there's a ballpark.  Ballparks do NOT attract new development, they simply (at best) cause development that would have happened somewhere else to be relocated.  More than likely this would have just happened someplace else if the ballpark wasn't there.  Look at all the other residential towers proposed for downtown, were THEY because of the ballpark??? Stop trying to connect this to the ballpark.  Ballparks have never inspired development and never will.  This has happened over and over in U.S. cities, and every ballpark has lost money.  Next you'll be telling me that it's because of the toy train over left field.  The $250 million spent on this should have gone toward creating a bunch of little ballparks all over the suburbs, which would have served a lot more baseball players than the few who use the downtown ballpark.  Did you know that only 1% of baseball jobs are located downtown?  

Someone forgot to turn on their sarcasm meter...That said, MMP is still a destination and having three major league stadiums all within walking distance of each other is still a good thing if you ask me.  It makes sense for development to happen between these venues.  The parks downtown only reinforce that point.  It has taken longer than many ever thought, but with the downtown initiative people are going to be moving into these areas.

• Like 3

Someone forgot to turn on their sarcasm meter...That said, MMP is still a destination and having three major league stadiums all within walking distance of each other is still a good thing if you ask me.  It makes sense for development to happen between these venues.  The parks downtown only reinforce that point.  It has taken longer than many ever thought, but with the downtown initiative people are going to be moving into these areas.

I think you forgot to turn it on.  Pretty obvious that I was lampooning the Metro haters, esp. with the "toy train" reference.

• 2 weeks later...