Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

16 or so years is a long time... While still dramatic, many cities around the globe and country looked completely different (as far as adding skyscrapers & neighborhoods). The World Trade Center was still around, Enron was skyrocketing on the stock market, the only "skyline" in Europe still belonged to Frankfurt, Dubai was not on the map, Asia was just coming out of their banking collapse, I had not joined HAIF yet... ;)

Edit: sorry, forgot about Canary Wharf.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 6

16 or so years is a long time... While still dramatic, many cities around the globe and country looked completely different (as far as adding skyscrapers & neighborhoods).

True but it's still probably the most dramatically changed area in all of Houston. New stadiums, new parks, new hotels, new apartments, new office buildings, new transit system... it's crazy to think about.

• Like 3

This is a much more exciting view of Houston. From this side you can see all of the buildings that give it much more depth and character. Its more like a stair stepped eastern u.s. city skyline with the older architectural examples popping through.

You get a much better feel for the size and scope of the downtown from the east side. The west side almost looks like a movie 

set facade, although it is striking. Give me the grit!

• Like 7

Keep thinking of what this area used to look like.... now and then:

23985617573_dca87746d1_h.jpg

920x920.jpg

HI_J0138.jpg

Cool pictures!  Thanks so much for posting.  You can see right through what was then the Houston World Trade Center.  The building in the bottom photo foreground was the Houston Port Authority. You can make out the great kind of mosaic image around the front entrance.

• Like 3

After looking at the image of Houston above I noticed the Gulf and Esperson building looking so small. When I moved to Houston in 1954, they were the tallest buildings in downtown, so you can see how much change I've been around for,  and maybe can appreciate my patience.

What an amazing ride its been and the things I've been able to witness here. Quite an amazing ride!

Now lets get those new art buildings and hospitals built. I don't have all day.

My mom was driving with me the other day down i10, as we were driving past the 45 interchange, she lamented that you can barely see the esperson building except from certain angles. the 40 story residential on MSP is certainly to blame for this. oh well, progress, I assume.

11380088_171931413182001_189672236_n.jpg

@chrisjln via Instagram

So much care taken in post processing to make this photograph pop, but didn't make the horizon straight to the focal point. it makes me sad. still a great photo. likely less than 1 degree rotation counter clockwise and this would be a phenomenal photograph.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1