Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Really surprised we haven't seen a crane pop up on this one yet.

From what it seems like they had to do a little more foundation work than I think they initially planned to do. I'm pretty sure they also had to clear away old foundations from buildings past.

• Like 1

From what it seems like they had to do a little more foundation work than I think they initially planned to do. I'm pretty sure they also had to clear away old foundations from buildings past.

There were definitely old foundations down there.

That formed up section in my last picture has a crazy amount of piling sand steel in a small space. Doesn't look like any of the crane bases I have seen on other projects, but something heavy is going right there.

If I memory serves, this is where the Penn Hotel was.  Torn down awhile back to make a parking lot.  I worked at the Great Southwest Building when they were building Enron Field.   I used to walk around and look at the old Union Station and later the construction of the ballpark.  I once got caught in a rainstorm and took shelter under the foyer of the Penn.  Some nice homeless folks had the same idea and we chatted for awhile.  They were kind enough to offer swigs from their 40s, but I hadn't had my coffee yet...

The Penn....  http://arch-ive.org/archive/william-penn-hotel/

• Like 4

Those demolition photos are a little sad. 

They are.  I was sad to see that one go, but I think the new development is probably an improvement.  I love old buildings, but sometimes they outlive their usefulness.  I've always thought it's simply polite that if you take down something aesthetically pleasing or interesting, you should replace it with something as good or better.  I think Catalyst satisfies that, even if it took a decade.

The hotel where the Finger development is now was cool too. When the ballpark was going in someone was looking to renovate it and took off some old facades.  There was an old cafeteria there with southwestern motifs and the old painting was there on the walls advertising Indian curios and stuff to the traveling salesmen.  There was also a wall painted with the names of cites and their distances. They were playing to the perception that this was cowboy and indian country.  

Anyway, having worked in that part of DT 15-20 years ago, and seeing it now, it,s astonishing to see the changes.

• Like 2