Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

I really like that the garage is lined with units (or at least pretending to be) so it doesn't loom like a big parking garage at the base. These developers know what they're doing.

I agree, that certainly improves the view from and interaction with the street.  

Thinking back to mid- and high-rise residential projects I looked at in the past, it often seemed like a long walk from car to one's front door.  The garage-clinging units in this project would certainly have a convenience advantage in that regard.  I'm not sure what downsides there might be, but I guess that would depend on other details of the design and construction.  Hearing car alarms going off at night could be one.  

• 2 weeks later...

just sucks that there isn't any retail in the development next to it -.-

which development? there will be retail in 500 Crawford.. unless you are talking about the mid rise announced a few months back for the lot just south of this/on the rail line. im not sure about that one. too many developments around downtown. heh

which development? there will be retail in 500 Crawford.. unless you are talking about the mid rise announced a few months back for the lot just south of this/on the rail line. im not sure about that one. too many developments around downtown. heh

Now don't get me wrong I actually think that 500 Crawford is nice, but the retail you speak of is only on Texas Ave. I mean that massive thing is going to take up two whole blocks! They could have squeezed in some more in there, but at least with this and 500 Texas Ave is going to get some nice traffic on it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2861-corinthian-cant-buy-enough-historic-fixer-uppers/

Marquette Cos prez Darren Sloniger's development activity itself is a change. He's been a buyer in Houston for several years, but he wants IRR in the teens and that's rarely happening on the acquisitions side now. He's also building Downtown (he'll break ground on Block 52 in six weeks), and says everything happening in the CBD makes it one of the most exciting opportunities he's ever seen.

• Like 8