Catalyst: 28-Story Residential High-Rise for Downtown

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

This area is going to be a boom for all empty lots surrounding MMP.  This is very bold, but I think Houston could have the best ballpark neighborhood at the end of all this.

Define "neighborhood". 

If you mean that houston will have several brand new, dense, residential structures within 3 blocks of the stadium, ok.

but, if you are speaking more broadly about a "neighborhood", have you walked around wrigley field -- into the neighborhood a couple blocks back?  If you have, I would be curious as to how you think this small section of downtown Houston might improve on that large area of Chicago.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Minute Maid Park from the East End by Arie, on Flickr

View from the criminal courts building yesterday:  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

This area is going to be a boom for all empty lots surrounding MMP.  This is very bold, but I think Houston could have the best ballpark neighborhood at the end of all this.

I've always wondered once MMP reaches its lifespan where would they put a new stadium? To see the area around the stadium gradually progress and then really take off here recently I would hate to see the stadium elsewhere.  Don't know the politics or economics behind that but I would almost choose keeping MMP around a VERY long time if the other option was moving elsewhere like to the suburbs. 

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Hard to beat wrigleyville 

or the Fens in Boston

or South Beach in San Fran

or downtown San Diego

or downtown Denver

or Camden Yards on the waterfront in Baltimore

It's getting there but no need for hyperbole.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I've always wondered once MMP reaches its lifespan where would they put a new stadium? To see the area around the stadium gradually progress and then really take off here recently I would hate to see the stadium elsewhere.  Don't know the politics or economics behind that but I would almost choose keeping MMP around a VERY long time if the other option was moving elsewhere like to the suburbs. 

Well when the STL Cardinals built their new stadium, they built half of it next to the old stadium, then when the season was over they tore down the old stadium and built the other half of the stadium, it lessened the time the cardinals had to play in a different ballpark if I remember correctly. If they ever have to replace MMP, I hope thats the route they go, they could use the empty lots to the north (? I'm directionally challenged) if they aren't developed by then. But MMP is a nice park, it can last a long long time, as long as they keep up with tech refreshes and what not, and power wash the roof every once in awhile. No need to replace it after 20 years like globe life park

• Like 3
3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Turner field was a nice park too.  Only about 15 years old when the Braves decided to abandon it for the suburbs (though they have continued to play in it until the new one is built).

its not always about the stadium..... its about the money.

Atlanta's a bit of a special case, though, with middle to upper-middle class whites living almost entirely north of Downtown. These folks, the primary Braves season ticketholders, didn't want to go to the "bad part of town" 81 nights a year.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Define "neighborhood". 

If you mean that houston will have several brand new, dense, residential structures within 3 blocks of the stadium, ok.

but, if you are speaking more broadly about a "neighborhood", have you walked around wrigley field -- into the neighborhood a couple blocks back?  If you have, I would be curious as to how you think this small section of downtown Houston might improve on that large area of Chicago.  

The former.  And yes, I was in CHI 3 weeks ago.  Wrigleyville is great and they have some very exciting new developments underway right next to the ballpark.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I cant wait for this project to be finished. Especially the public realm part of the overall design. Once the outer layer of retail and residential townhouses are completed and all of the  landscaping, lighting, and the retail component is leased up this block will be a very desirous destination. I think it will have the same impact as post properties did. Only this is in downtown.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 2:39 AM, enriquewx91 said:

Soooooo what were you doing there! lol

Jury duty.  I got further through the process than I've ever gotten before; this time they didn't dismiss me until the final round of dismissals, as they were making the final selection of the 12 jurors plus 2 alternates.  It was actually quite interesting, hearing the attorneys on both sides giving their introductions and having the laws explained to us.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, samagon said:

not really on the topic of catalyst, but with all the new residential, are they going to continue the Friday night fireworks?

I moved into 500 Crawford last summer and they still do the Friday night fireworks.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned this before but I'm excited to see what may come of the empty block north of this directly behind 500 Crawford.  I would love to see a slim residential tower or almost square in shape.  I just don't want anything to block the view of DT from MMP. 

5 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

So is this still being demo'd according to the title, or is it time for an update?

Also, off topic but is anyone getting redirected to ad pages on mobile? It's so irritating and automatically opens the App Store to download some bs app

Yes, I am. It's very annoying.

IDK HOW THIS ENDED UP IN THE WRONG THREAD but it was supposed to be in the Rusk demo, but because of the stupid spam ads on this site it messed up. 

Just gonna point out that this only only happened once the site was taken over by new ownership. Guess it has something to do with that new Houston "Covering Katy/Cypress/etc blog that received its own sub in the various forums. Would be very strange if there was a connection since that was never disclosed to its users, but if they're gonna allow these kind of pathetic ad redirects continue I shouldn't be surprised. 

Haif sold out.

Idc if the mods delete this, I've mentioned this so many times and I'm told constantly by the HaifCares account that it's fixed. It is, but it's only for a month or two. 

New Ownership can you please stop making people want to leave this site? And while I'm on my rant, make the mobile site useable. It's awful.

• Like 5
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Catalyst: 28-Story Residential High-Rise for Downtown