2020 DFW Will Spilt

I was told the census will split DFW in 2020.  I was told it would be Dallas-Plano and Forth Worth-Arlington metropolitans areas.  Which Houston-The Woodlands-Sugarland will take the 4th spot.  San Francisco and San Jose were split, and also Washington D. C. and Baltimore.  What are your thoughts? 

Any such decision would likely not come until after the 2020 census is conducted.

Whether separated or together, the Houston metro is still projected to surpass DFW by 2030 I believe.  Fort Worth is like a different world from Dallas.  Much friendlier people, much more laid-back atmosphere.  It actually reminds me of Houston circa 1950 based on what I've read and heard.

Whether separated or together, the Houston metro is still projected to surpass DFW by 2030 I believe.

Not true.  While Houston is growing faster than DFW, the difference is negligible (4.33% vs. 4.28% over the 27-month period from April 2010 to July 2012) and not nearly enough to make up the 500,000 + difference in our current populations by 2030.

Of course, but Fort Worth hates being second.  Fort Worth is growing more then Dallas.  I love Fort Worth it's fun they are so different from Dallasites. 

The City of Fort Worth is indeed growing faster than the City of Dallas, FWIW.  But the Fort Worth-Arlington division is not growing as fast as the Dallas-Plano-Irving division.

If Houston and the Metroplex are the nation's leading lifters of families from underclass to working class and working class to middle class, then I will say we need more people to come here, even if it's inconvenient for us, yes.  One thing I do wish is that some of our philanthropists would focus on proving up the economics of delivering a different development pattern so that the Texas Triangle can double its population without doubling (or greater) its footprint.

• 6 months later...

I was told the census will split DFW in 2020. I was told it would be Dallas-Plano and Forth Worth-Arlington metropolitans areas. Which Houston-The Woodlands-Sugarland will take the 4th spot. San Francisco and San Jose were split, and also Washington D. C. and Baltimore. What are your thoughts?

Lol, you were lied to. That area is becoming more cohesive with a growth in shared commuting and more integrated public transit. I can see the area sprawling to Louisiana before I see it being split

Any such decision would likely not come until after the 2020 census is conducted.

That's not necessarily true. There is a slated metro definition review slated for june 2018. It happens every five years. Last one was last year.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/06/28/2010-15605/2010-standards-for-delineating-metropolitan-and-micropolitan-statistical-areas

It was in 2003 that Dallas and FW were combined as an MSA. Highly doubt they will split, but the earliest review of MSA will vine in 2018

Archived