Linder Lake Swimming Pool At 517 Melbourne St.

Hi!  I have recently become interested in the history of Houston's North Side neighborhoods, and I have read about a now-defunct swimming pool named "Linder Lake" that was located in the Lindale area.  

Research indicates that the pool occupied the block bounded by Melbourne, Helmers, King, and Lazaras streets.  Google Earth images show that the pool has been filled in, and three buildings now sit on the property; two are metal buildings that look to be constructed within the past 30 years, but the third building is an old brick building that houses an HVAC service company.  There is also a very large metal tank on the property.  

Old aerial photos show that the brick building and metal tank have been on the property since at least the 1940s.  Does anyone know if these structures were originally part of the swimming pool complex?  I understand that Linder Lake had a bath house and snack bar that served hamburgers, and I wonder if this brick building originally housed those functions. 

Apparently this place was a major hangout in the middle decades of the 20th century, so I'm a bit surprised at how little information I have been able to find on it.  Does anyone know when Linder Lake opened and when it closed?  

If anyone has any other history or stories about Linder Lake, I'd love to hear them as well.

There's a partial picture in this thread http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/14039-lindale-park-sales-brochure/

And from the text of a WPA guide at http://archive.org/stream/houstonahistory00writmiss/houstonahistory00writmiss_djvu.txt

Vlll Golf: Heights Golf Course, 1104 Wakefield Rd., 18 holes, 45c; Hermann Park Golf Course, Hermann Park, 18 holes, 50c; Memorial Park Golf Course, Memorial Park, 18 holes, 50c; Glenbrook Golf Course, Park Place Blvd., 18 holes, 40c weekdays, 75c Sat., Sun., and holidays; Lindale Golf Course, 5420 E. Montgomery Rd., 9 holes, 25c. Polo: Houston Riding and Polo Club, 8 m. SW. on Westheimer Rd., adm. 50c; Post Oak Road Field, across Post Oak Rd. from Memorial Park, adm. free. Dates of matches announced in local newspapers. Gymnasiums: Y. M. C. A., 1600 Louisiana St.; Y. W. C. A., 1320 Rusk Ave.; City Auditorium; A. P. and Laura Root Park. Riding: 5 private stables, rates 50c to $1 an hour; municipal bridle paths in Hermann, MacGregor, and Memorial Parks. Swimming: Three municipal pools (open May September, 8-10:30 daily, We and 25 c); Mason Pool, Mason Park; Stude Pool, Stude Park; Emancipation Park (for Negroes); Heights Natatorium, 200 Harvard St.; Linder Lake, 515 Melbourne St.; Dodson Lake, 6.5 m. N. of city. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

My family moved to 903 English in Lindale Park in 1940.  I attended Roosevelt Elementary and remember Linder Lake.  Went there a few times, probably over several years.  Do not remember when it closed.  I do remember that the new house on English Street was near the first on the street and cost $2700. Larger all brick houses cost $3200.  .A new world.

• 2 months later...

My parents owned Linder Lake. I'm glad y'all remember it. It was great growing up there as a kid. I had lots of fun and met lots of people. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.  It was closed I believe in about 1968. It was during the time of integration and my stepfather and mother said that they would bulldoze it in before they would have anyone tell them who they could and could not allow to come into their  privately owned property. So they bulldozed it in and were going to build apartments but they got a divorce soon thereafter and the property was sold to some sort of manufacturing company.  I worked and managed the concession stand once I got old enough and we did have the best hamburgers and hotdogs in the world. 

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Linder Lake Swimming Pool vividly as some of my best memories growing up on the Northside. My dad was a cousin to the owner of Linder Lake Swimming Pool. It cost .50 cents to get in but I was lucky and got in for .25 cent being related and all. My friend, Randy would always complain that I got in cheaper than he did. Lol When you paid to get in they would give you a basket and a safety pin with a number that matched the basket. I would go to the men's side, change putting my clothes in the basket then give it to the attendant who would put my worldly goods on the shelf then the walk through the chlorine bath and onwards to the pool. Everyone would hang out around the wall near the deep end of the pool to talk and watch the divers. That's where I learned to dive off the high dive. When I went swimming, there were always people from the neighborhood that I knew and it always felt safe. Someone always brought pennies that was thrown into the pool to dive after to see how many one could pick up in one breath. After swimming, I would always buy a coke .10 cents and Cheetos .15 cents at their concession stand for the walk home. I was there the day when everyone was told the pool was closed and it's time to go home. I was about 13 years old in 1965 or 1966. A couple of days later the bulldozers had filled in the pool. Dark days in my mind. Working on the Northside I still have customers that come in and in chatting Linder Lake swimming pool will come up and the stories start.

Very fond memories! 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

My parents met at Linder Lake and have heard a lot of stories about it.  My dad passed away on 5/10/2019, so I am just kind of taking a trip down his memory lane and wanted to look up Linder Lake.  

• The title was changed to Linder Lake Swimming Pool At 515 Melbourne St.
  • The title was changed to Linder Lake Swimming Pool At 517 Melbourne St.

Archived