iOS7

I love it as well!

My favorite feature is iTunes Radio, you can choose a genre and it'll break that genre down to options more specific to your taste. Commercials are shorter as well than the ones on Pandora.

I just started listening to the "iRadio" today and I like it too......great variety...I haven't heard one commercial yet - I don't have iTunes match so I am supposed to have commercials at some point

The multitasking of apps is much better (double-tap and swipe up to close).

Also nice is the ability to require a passcode only after a certain amount of inactivity. I changed mine to 15 minutes so I'm not constantly having to reenter a passcode if I was just using it a minute ago. 

Overall the interface is a lot sleeker and more consistent. 

I have been using it as a developer through all the betas.....love it.....

My favorite feature -- I can now block unwanted callers/texters.....finally !!

This is one of the long list of reasons I switched to Android nearly 4 years ago now.

It has been indispensable. I have about 150 numbers stored as blocked.

I've been an Android user, got an iPhone for work and luckily ios7 came out a week later. much improved, several of the things they added are android like so I'm much happier with it now.

Apps multitasking as mentioned, and the swipe up to get to the airplane mode, wifi, brightness, etc and swipe down for missed events.

Are you an iOS developer too Midtown? If so cool to see another dev on here!

I have been using it as a developer through all the betas.....love it.....

My favorite feature -- I can now block unwanted callers/texters.....finally !!

Are you an iOS developer too Midtown? If so cool to see another dev on here!

A novice developer -- very novice at this point -- I am just learning/playing right now.....very cool that you have developed an app and got it in the app store !!

Im a network engineer in "real life" but have been interested in programming apps for a while, decided to start learning with iOS7.....

Can you recommend any "iOS programming for dummies" types of reading for me ?

Cool! I have 3 iOS apps in the app store and one Mac app now. Two of those are the same app (paid and free/light version) plus the Mac app is basically the same app on a different platform so if you want to think of it that way I only have 2 apps. :)

I have learned mostly from sample code, posts on blogs and StackOverflow.com. I downloaded Apple's basic books on Cocoa and iOS programming and UI design way back in the day when the app store first opened to the public. They are free in iBooks format, a bit dry but full of good information. I didn't make it through any of them though but they are good references. Besides that I haven't read any books on app development or Cocoa/ObjC programming.

I've upgraded and am not fond. Tuesday night, I went to bed at midnight, and my iPhone 4S was at 52% battery life. When I woke up at six, the thing was completely dead. DAYUD. I've done all the recommended things - turned off Background App Refresh, dimmed the screen, and like eight other things CNET and various other sites suggested. No love. I guess I gotta keep it plugged in all night. Weird.

I've upgraded and am not fond. Tuesday night, I went to bed at midnight, and my iPhone 4S was at 52% battery life. When I woke up at six, the thing was completely dead. DAYUD. I've done all the recommended things - turned off Background App Refresh, dimmed the screen, and like eight other things CNET and various other sites suggested. No love. I guess I gotta keep it plugged in all night. Weird.

You may have seen some/all of these links, and there's some duplicate info among them, but they're worth checking out nonetheless:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57604792-285/for-longer-battery-life-change-these-ios-7-settings/

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/18/how-to-stop-ios-7-from-destroying-your-iphones-battery-life/

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/prevent-overheating-ios-7-for-much-cooler-iphone-0147521/

http://www.zdnet.com/four-privacy-settings-you-should-enable-in-ios-7-immediately-7000020902/

http://ipod.about.com/od/UsingiOS6/ss/Using-Iphone-Privacy-Settings-In-Ios.htm

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/

FWIW, I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 on Sunday, and almost immediately noticed a significant decrease in battery life, combined with the phone getting very hot when I had my preferred Twitter app running for more than a couple of minutes. I went through all of the recommended settings as well, but the only thing that seems to have mostly fixed the problem was double-clicking the Home button and swiping up to close out most/all of the recently-used apps, then powering the phone off completely and then back on (I hadn't done so since the upgrade). Battery life still isn't what it used to be before the upgrade, but it's better than it was, and the phone isn't nearly as hot as it had been even if I'm checking tweets for 15-20 minutes straight. 

If your battery is draining completely overnight, I'd guess either something related to Location Services is the culprit, or an app has gotten stuck in a loop and needs to be fully restarted (powering off the phone should fix it if this is the case). 

I was skeptical about iOS 7, but after only a couple of hours of using it, I was convinced it's a big improvement over iOS 6, battery life issues notwithstanding. I'm a heavy user of the Mail app, and under iOS 7 it's much faster when navigating between messages and mailboxes and deleting messages than its iOS 6 counterpart.

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me when I got iOS 4 and 5 I just learned to plug my phone/iPod/iPad into a charger while its doña loading the new iOS. It worked for iOS 6 as well as 6 for me. I do this during the minor updates also.

Archived