Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...

All the "light rail doesn't spur development" people better get their licks in now, clock is ticking...

I don't think that whether light rail spurred development was really the question. The question is whether it spurs proportionate development to the cost and that is very much an open question.

The downtown residential incentives cost about $15 million to date and I would suggest that they have generated more development than light rail has for considerably less money.

Edited by livincinco

I don't think that whether light rail spurred development was really the question. The question is whether it spurs proportionate development to the cost and that is very much an open question.

The downtown residential incentives cost about $15 million to date and I would suggest that they have generated more development than light rail has for considerably less money.

True. But the original stretch of the main st line was like 375 million and has spurred well over 2 billion in development along it since it's inception.

And 15 million? How do you figure that.. The whole 5,000 units are 75 mil in incentives. Wouldn't the original 2,500 be 37.5 mil? Still it was an excellent investment, but so was light rail IMO.

• Like 1

True. But the original stretch of the main st line was like 375 million and has spurred well over 2 billion in development along it since it's inception.

And 15 million? How do you figure that.. The whole 5,000 units are 75 mil in incentives. Wouldn't the original 2,500 be 37.5 mil? Still it was an excellent investment, but so was light rail IMO.

I think that we're starting to divert from the topic, but would be happy to discuss on an appropriate thread.

• Like 1

This project and MATCH are some real game changers for Midtown because we are starting to see more stable long term investment in Midtown as a registered arts district. Houston is definitely placing itself in a league of its own in this state. I've seen this city lose its identity some 25+ years ago and come back with a new identity of who we are as Houstonians. And to get back on topic, let's just agree that the light rail will continue to spur development that will only continue to offset the price tag of the construction of the system itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Groundbreaking to occur "within 60 days" according to BisNow. :)

We're going to see a groundbreaking within 60 days on Mid Main for a new parking garage and multifamily units. (Nobody tell the ground though, it might get scared and run away.) Developer RHS Interests selected Transwestern to lease the office portion, which should move some dirt of its own when the ink starts to dry on preleasing.

63073_1401734347_MidMainRendering.jpg

Mid Main is a 215k SF mixed-use project, which includes 203k SF of Class-A office. Transwestern's Doug Little and David Lee are marketing that space. David tells us the eight-story building will be at 3501 Main St (along the light rail) and is a unique blend of transit-oriented office space and a lifestyle center element that should be great for recruiting employees. Mid Main's office space will have nearly 10,000 SF of retail, and RHS is also building a 363-unit multifamily building with another 20k SF of retail. It's adjacent to Midtown Arts & Theater Center (MATCH), which broke ground last month. Lewis Property Co's Greg Lewis is leasing the retail space. Construction on the garage will begin immediately, with the office tower breaking ground when it secures a lead tenant. It's scheduled for completion in spring 2016.

-

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1872-the-deal-sheet/

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 2

We're going to see a groundbreaking within 60 days on Mid Main for a new parking garage and multifamily units. (Nobody tell the ground though, it might get scared and run away.) Developer RHS Interests selected Transwestern to lease the office portion, which should move some dirt of its own when the ink starts to dry on preleasing.

63073_1401734347_MidMainRendering.jpg

Mid Main is a 215k SF mixed-use project, which includes 203k SF of Class-A office. Transwestern's Doug Little and David Lee are marketing that space. David tells us the eight-story building will be at 3501 Main St (along the light rail) and is a unique blend of transit-oriented office space and a lifestyle center element that should be great for recruiting employees. Mid Main's office space will have nearly 10,000 SF of retail, and RHS is also building a 363-unit multifamily building with another 20k SF of retail. It's adjacent to Midtown Arts & Theater Center (MATCH), which broke ground last month. Lewis Property Co's Greg Lewis is leasing the retail space. Construction on the garage will begin immediately, with the office tower breaking ground when it secures a lead tenant. It's scheduled for completion in spring 2016.

-

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1872-the-deal-sheet/

Why not just call it a 16 story building?

• 4 weeks later...

Why not just call it a 16 story building?

Lacks sex appeal.

"Mixed use, mass transit friendly, green build, sustainable, walkable, with bike racks, with ground floor retail". Soooooo much sexier! Now, add some grass on the top of some escalators like the folks over at GreenStreet and really cook some bacon!

(Translation: "a standard building on top of a parking deck with a Deli to buy lunch and a bar to nosh at after work..... "....... )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump.  Anyone have further information?  Significant delay expected or still somewhat on track?

I drive by this site nearly everyday and there has still been no traction on the property. Honestly, this is one of the developments in Midtown that I look more forward to too...

• Like 1

I drive by this site nearly everyday and there has still been no traction on the property. Honestly, this is one of the developments in Midtown that I look more forward to too...

I was curious about this also so I called just now and spoke with one of the people in the office who said this is a go, and it will be moving forward in days. I don't know if that means this week or down the road, but he sounded very positive about it going forward soon. He said they have their building permit so hopefully Triton, MidMain will be coming out of the ground soon!

• Like 2

I was curious about this also so I called just now and spoke with one of the people in the office who said this is a go, and it will be moving forward in days. I don't know if that means this week or down the road, but he sounded very positive about it going forward soon. He said they have their building permit so hopefully Triton, MidMain will be coming out of the ground soon!

Nice work.

Getting the permit (to me at least) means they have a construction team on tap. which is where many of the delays probably come from.

I'm sure labor shortages is a big reason why we have seen some projects especially in Downtown get pushed further to QIII and QIV of this year and even into next year. Not a big deal it just reflects the current state of the market and the side effects of a boom. I wonder if Houston has any advertising around the world asking for migrant or just labor workers in general. I know a boom was hard charging in a city I ran that would be something I would push to get done right away.

Nice work.

Getting the permit (to me at least) means they have a construction team on tap. which is where many of the delays probably come from.

Until the permit shows up in HBJ, it's not really underway. :P 

Given reports of labor shortages and escalating materials costs, I would not be surprised if the project has had trouble starting. I just hope whoever bid the project built in the extra costs.