Urbannizer

Mid Main — Mixed-Use Development for Midtown (3600 Main)

This is why we can't have nice things...

The man initially cleaned up the spill using a bottle dropper and other tools, but then threw those contaminated materials down the trash chute. He called the Fire Department Monday to report what happened. Firefighters tested the trash chute and the hallway for mercury levels which were low, but “significant enough” to evacuate the floor.

Most instructions on cleaning mercury focus on small spills from thermometers. Anything more than about two tablespoons should be handled by professional cleanup crews. The Environmental Protection Agency even has a national hot line for spills more than 1 pound.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/man-spills-two-pounds-of-mercury-after-storing-it-in-crown-royal-bottle-9700678

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 3:50 PM, CREguy13 said:

Yes, if only the Richmond line could get traction.  Then everyone from Galleria moving east could have access to downtown, midtown, museum district, etc. without a car.

Until then, Uber it is!  LOL!

• Like 1

Why would anyone need 2 lbs of mercury? Why would you let your girlfriend handle your horde of mercury? This is the strangest reason to evacuate a building I've ever heard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

Why would anyone need 2 lbs of mercury? Why would you let your girlfriend handle your horde of mercury? This is the strangest reason to evacuate a building I've ever heard.

My Granddad had a flask of mercury on his shelf from the days when he worked in the oilfield, and they used mercury in the meters on gas lines. He still had it 30+ years after he retired, until he saw an article on the dangers, and legal issues, and had some agency come pick it up. The container was heavy glass, was smaller than a quart, and must have weighed 30 pounds. Having said that, I can't imagine why anyone with a smattering of brain cells would keep mercury in a whiskey bottle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Having said that, I can't imagine why anyone with a smattering of brain cells would keep mercury in a whiskey bottle

Probably some alchemy that went terribly awry

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

Saving up for this, perhaps?

Teeming with treasures that dazzled the most jaded traveler or world—weary aristocrat...Pools of mercury could be shaken to spray beams of reflected sunlight across marble walls and ceilings of gold...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara

• Like 1

On 12/26/2015 at 7:28 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

One of the proposed restaurants opening at MidMain is rumored to be a ramen restaurant according to this tweet on Twitter. The siteplan has it located behind Double Trouble on Winbern.

CWNGkMRU4AANU7L.jpg

The information posted in 2015 is wrong. The restaurant going in at  917 Winbern in Mid-Main will be a Szechuan restaurant, not a ramen restaurant. The name is Spicy Girl. 

Here's the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/spicygirlhouston

JnmxuBt.jpg

Uy0WGnR.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another restaurant for Mid Main: Kula Revolving Sushi Bar.

From Twitter:

.@kulasushi_usa is also opening a location at @midtownHOU's @HouMidMain @EaterHouston

https://twitter.com/chicchickeats/status/829424687671345152

On 6/4/2017 at 1:23 PM, hindesky said:

HwO4Qr8.jpg

Other retail opening soon in Mid Main in Midtown in Houston besides Kula Revolving Sushi Bar:

Diced Poke
9Rounds Fitness

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MidMainHouston/videos/1632358620115683/

• Like 4

Build out for a new beer & food pub to be located in the Mid Main complex has commenced. 

• Like 3

Details should be coming out in HBJ soon. Id post the notice to sell alcohol image I was sent but can't.

Big Mike Entertainment LLC,  is  the  name of applicant but that's not the name of the pub.

On 12/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, bobruss said:

Build out for a new beer & food pub to be located in the Mid Main complex has commenced. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:48 PM, phillip_white said:

Did you catch a name or details?

On 12/5/2017 at 11:22 PM, bobruss said:

Details should be coming out in HBJ soon. Id post the notice to sell alcohol image I was sent but can't.

Big Mike Entertainment LLC,  is  the  name of applicant but that's not the name of the pub.

Brass Tap is opening its first location in Houston at Mid Main in Midtown. I recall HBJ reporting on the chain opening a location in Houston last year, but didn't report on the location.

Here's the blurb on Houston Business Journal:

A Tampa, Florida-based craft beer chain will open its first Bayou City location next August. Houstonians Michael Daley, Carey Seay and Omar Maalouf purchased franchise rights to open The Brass Tap Pub at 3500 Main St., Maalouf told HBJ. 

The 3,500-square-foot pub will feature live entertainment, upscale food and over 60 local and regional craft beers on tap, he added. Currently there are nearly 50 bars in 22 states, including five in Texas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/07/restaurant-roundup-next-bosscat-concept-opening-in.html

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

I hope this works out for them. Mike is my cousin so I couldn't really say much until the article came out.

Its in a really good location in Mid Main across from The Match and Ensemble Theater plus right on the rail and in the middle of everything.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I hope this works out for them. Mike is my cousin so I couldn't really say much until the article came out.

Its in a really good location in Mid Main across from The Match and Ensemble Theater plus right on the rail and in the middle of everything.

Make sure Cousin Mike invites HAIF to the opening celebrations!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

wqIhjXe.jpg

It's going to be Brass Tap, opening at 922 Holman St, Ste A in Mid Main in Houston.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:56 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Brass Tap is opening its first location in Houston at Mid Main in Midtown. I recall HBJ reporting on the chain opening a location in Houston last year, but didn't report on the location.

A Tampa, Florida-based craft beer chain will open its first Bayou City location next August. Houstonians Michael Daley, Carey Seay and Omar Maalouf purchased franchise rights to open The Brass Tap Pub at 3500 Main St., Maalouf told HBJ. 

The 3,500-square-foot pub will feature live entertainment, upscale food and over 60 local and regional craft beers on tap, he added. Currently there are nearly 50 bars in 22 states, including five in Texas.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/07/restaurant-roundup-next-bosscat-concept-opening-in.html

i went by yesterday and toured the space with Mike.

Looks like Tramonte architects is doing the space. Its going to be nice with outdoor seating. They're installing several garage doors to be able to bring the outside in when nice.

• Like 5

Kura Revolving Sushi Bar

COUNTING DOWN to our Midtown Grand Opening!!
OPENS AT 11:30AM!
3510 Main St.
Houston, TX 77002

Per their Facebook.

• Like 1

Had dinner last night at  Kula Revolving Sushi Bar. It was really good and the place was packed. Such a different experience, felt like I was in another country.

• Like 3

I walked by last night on the way home after the Rockets game, it had to be after 10 pm and it was packed.

Brass Tap is opening in MidMain. It'll be on the corner of Holman and Travis right across the street from Holman Draft Hall. This is creating another walkable mix of drinkeries on this side of midtown. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Yn0Otun"><a href="//imgur.com/Yn0Otun"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From Swamplot:

The office of Dr. Benjamin Golik, DDS is getting a new optometrist neighbor along Main St. as heralded by a recently filed building permit for the Mid Main Lofts‘ ground level. The eye doctor’s move-in will leave the apartments’ east side more full than not — though a few of its rail-adjacent retail spaces remain empty according to the map above of the building’s first floor.

H2bu1hY.jpg

http://swamplot.com/eye-doc-grabbing-space-next-to-dentist-in-mid-main-lofts-metro-side/2018-09-05/

On 8/1/2018 at 8:21 AM, drecey said:

Brass Tap is opening in MidMain. It'll be on the corner of Holman and Travis right across the street from Holman Draft Hall. This is creating another walkable mix of drinkeries on this side of midtown. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Yn0Otun"><a href="//imgur.com/Yn0Otun"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On 8/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, drecey said:

https://www.brasstapbeerbar.com/Houston

We know.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:56 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

On 12/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, bobruss said:

On 12/5/2017 at 6:48 PM, phillip_white said:

Did you catch a name or details?

On 12/5/2017 at 11:22 PM, bobruss said:

Took a tour of soon to open Brass Tap last night and its looking good. They're going to have a nice outdoor seating area , plenty of tv's and lots of beer. 60 taps. 

I think they plan on having live music occasionally and a pretty wide range of food. It looks like sometime before Thanksgiving when they'll open. I'll give you a solid date in a week. My cousin and his partners have been working very hard to get it all right. See you there.

I never know what to think of Mid Main.  It's like an optical illusion - I can look at the same pictures of the inside and either think it's great or horrible

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sdotwill84 said:

it reminds me of student dorms.

I think that is a fair comparison. There is a certain cheapness to it reminiscent of student dorms. It is great to have a wide range of housing options however, these are not much more economic than the "luxury" options up and down the street. 

• Like 2