Mid Main: Mixed-Use Development For Midtown

Urbannizer

The gentlemen who came here to open the Continental Club approximately 16 years ago is from Austin. He wanted to create an area that would have a walkable Austin type feel with restaurants, bars, clubs, retail and eventually a residential community. He owns quite a bit of the property around The Continental Club and has no intentions of destroying that weird Austin vibe. I commend him for following through and making the Ensemble station probably the most urban cool space in Houston and once there are  residents living in the Mid Main it will generate much needed revenues for the retail development in that area  and those that will be drawn to the area. It now boasts The Ensemble Theater and Match which is home to at least 13 different arts related groups that bring a wide variety of visitors into the neighborhood all of the time.

Now if they could only figure out what to do with Julia's.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been excited about this project since it was first announced. This will be a great place to live, work and play, and  with so much at your doorstep.

This area of Midtown up to Camden's super block, is going to be a very walkable neighborhood. The rail makes it a no brainer. If they'd only reconsider the University Line , linking pretty much anywhere I would want a light rail line to take me. I can't wait to visit this, once there leasing .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the most informative apartment websites I've seen.  Floor plans with unique identifiers, located on a map of the area showing of the amenities that are in the complex (which a sky dog park is a good idea that high rises need to copy)

There's even prices, though not with the individual floor plans.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll say it. This project is kind of a disappointment for me. It was one of my most anticipated projects since it tried to be all the right things and present a visionary model for Midtown, what with the GFR and preserving the existing buildings. But there is something jarring about the mixture of red brick, which says to me "traditional," and the trying-too-hard-to-be-contemporary feel of the Tetris-y design. Some of the white façade surfaces on the non-street-facing sides remind me of a few of those lesser 50's-60's modern buildings, the ones from the more local architecture firms, where you look at them and think, "Didn't they know this would be ugly?" The randomly oriented windows and exposed cinder block in the second to last picture in Urb's post above just seem desperate to check off every postmodern box (are the exposed plywood panels in the first photo the finished product? would not be too surprised...). Oh, and how about a freaking cornice, and maybe some lintels, or does that hearken too much to the imperialist/colonizing past? I'm sure the Cite people and the Rice Design Alliance will love this; I however do not.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 5