3) Campeau Tower - 80 floors

4) Cullen Bank Tower - 65 floors

5) Ritz-Carlton @ Blvd Place - 55 floors

6) One Main Place - 55 floors

7) AIM Headquarters - 40 floors

8) Ballpark Place (or Lofts at the Ballpark) - 34 floors

9) Orion Towers - 37 floors (2 towers)

10) River Oaks condo tower - 32 floors

Now I feel like making it a "top 20" list...

2.  I had a picture at one point which I can't locate at the moment.  As I recall it looked vaguely Mayan and wasn't very attractive.  With a location in south downtown it could have struggled to find tenants.  Probably not a huge loss in retrospect. 

Another one I would put on the list would be the other half of the Wedge Tower.

#4 in that diagram is the building that was planned for the block north of Foley's.  They got as far as tearing down the Lamar Hotel, two movie theaters, and the C&I building on the block, but then it reverted to surface parking until the Reliant building was constructed. 

1. Yes, it was originally planned to be located at 1550 Smith St, reaching 904 feet and (I think) it was supposed to have a similar crown to the current Continental Center building. According to emporis, it was actually supposed to be called "Cullen Bank Tower II." I can't find a rendering for it, but we will soon have the Chevron building going up in that neck of the woods anyways.

There was a Phillip Johnson proposal for the site that had two glass towers opening into a central atrium. 

There was a Phillip Johnson proposal for the site that had two glass towers opening into a central atrium. 

Cullen-Center-Houston-1977_grande.jpg?25

In this instance, I think the final version turned out better than the proposal.

On a side note - didn't realize the artist of this image was the one who created some of the better known renderings of the Bank of the Southwest Tower. According to this site anyway. Some good renderings of the Chase Tower, Enterprise Tower & the Hilton on Post Oak (with initially planned reflecting pool & fountains along Post Oak) as well.

1. Bank of the Southwest Tower (Winning Design).

2. Houston Center Tower (Tallest)

3. Ritz Carlton (Blvd. Place)

4. River Oaks District Tower 1

5. River Oaks District Tower 2

6. River Oaks District Tower 3

7. Midtown Medical Building

8. Hotel Tower Proposal Medical Center

9. Twin Condo Tower/Marina Clear Lake

10. Renovation of the old Sheraton Hotel (Demo'd, next to Total Plaza).

• The title was changed to Top 10 Buildings In Houston

Archived