sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are they expecting to merge the jails?

The city jail will be eliminated when the county completes the jointly-funded Processing Center.  In November, when we voters approved the new processing center, it was said that the new center would be open in 3 years, so roughly November 2016.

The city jail will be eliminated when the county completes the jointly-funded Processing Center.  In November, when we voters approved the new processing center, it was said that the new center would be open in 3 years, so roughly November 2016.

Oh ok, so this sounds like a new structure / facility needs to be built. Do we have a location on that new center?

• Like 1

Downtown Post Office Building Likely To Become Mixed-Use Development

By: Andrew Schneider, May 15th, 2014 06:00 AM The old Post Office at 401 Franklin Street occupies 16 acres of prime real estate near Buffalo Bayou. The land is now likely to be turned into a mixed-use development -- combining high-rise office and residential buildings with retail space.

“The Post Office site is a gem,” Ralph Bivins, editor of Realty News Report, says. “It’s a jewel. It’s waiting to happen. It’s going to be the cornerstone of what’s going to make Buffalo Bayou a great place.”

Bivins says that any redevelopment would almost certainly have some tie-in to the wider renovation of the waterfront by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/news/downtown-post-office-building-likely-to-become-mixeduse-development/

1-WATE~1.jpg

Look close you can see it just above the bottom of the page

On the second page of BBP Masterplan "eastern sector" is the map with the South Canal clearly labeled. I thought this was common knowledge? Hence why its called the North Canal and not just "the canal" ...unless I mistakenly read your post incorrectly?

1 observation and 1 idea.

Observation: Rendering shows what appears to be the elimination of Franklin St bridge over Buffalo Bayou by rerouting Washinton Ave over some of the Post Office site, then through the middle of North Canal Island to an eventual connection to Runnels/Navigation. Considering the revitalization efforts on both Washington Ave & Navigation Blvd, I'd love if this were to happen and they be connected.

Idea: Since land next to County Jail on Alcatraz Island would be a hard sell to any developer, how about HPD build it's new headquarters and support buildings there. They'd have quick access to 10, 45, and 59 and be next to Criminal Courts as well. And maybe HPD's presence on Alcatraz Island would make it somehow ...less seedy.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

That's a decent idea.  Since that land is already sullied by the jails being there, why not attempt to at least make it somewhat better by adding HPD?  Plus, like you mentioned there is decent access to area freeways from that location.

• 1 month later...

You didn't hear it from me and deal isn't finalized, but the City has chosen Midway and Lionstone over the other groups. Details are being ironed out and some of the other groups might be included in parts of the overall development. Similar to how the Sears/Fiesta site is being handled in Midtown. 

• Like 1

Right. Just like how Sears/Fiesta site is being handled.

Refresh my memory about that, if you would.

Lol, at first I was super excited but then I read this part and was bummed.. Fortunately it's midway apparently behind this deal, who has a track record of mixed use developments. Look forward to hearing more!

Edit: I wonder if they'll push for a HSR or commuter rail terminal here. IMO it would be ill advised to develop both the post office site and the hardy yards site without leaving anywhere for a station/terminal.

Edited by cloud713

first of all.. WELCOME BACK largeTEXAS!  been keeping up with you upon the HBJ.  however, do you have any insight upon the proposed hotels (ritz carlton - w hotel - etc..)  no one, can seem to present anything thus far that is a bit concrete.  everything to date, seem speculative.  

any updated info, shall be appreciated. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't hear it from me and deal isn't finalized, but the City has chosen Midway and Lionstone over the other groups. Details are being ironed out and some of the other groups might be included in parts of the overall development. Similar to how the Sears/Fiesta site is being handled in Midtown. 

I don't understand how the city can award the property to anyone since I thought it belongs to the usps, Wouldn't they be the ones to award the property to someone?

I hope they do away with Franklin and reroute Washington to allow the bayou to come into play

with this property. Although it is on the opposite side of the bayou from sesq. park, they could always add more pedestrian bridges. What this would do is open up the hike and bike trails farther east, and create a frontlawn for that development. The views from this property are the best. Sorry about the pigeons.

post-7092-0-31936000-1406058088.jpg

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

I don't understand how the city can award the property to anyone since I thought it belongs to the usps, Wouldn't they be the ones to award the property to someone?

I hope they do away with Franklin and reroute Washington to allow the bayou to come into play

with this property. Although it is on the opposite side of the bayou from sesq. park, they could always add more pedestrian bridges. What this would do is open up the hike and bike trails farther east, and create a frontlawn for that development. The views from this property are the best. Sorry about the pigeons.

photo.JPG

Great points.. And I agree about ditching franklin ave and connecting Washington all the way through instead. Otherwise there isn't much bayou frontage that's not under Franklin.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dunno if this actually means anything, but I haven't seen this before.

*Edit* I see that Midway has been selected to redevelop the site, so it's 100% likely they would choose Munoz Albin as the architect lol. I guess this is our first look at the plans.

http://www.munozalbin.com/62-houston-post-office.html

15534444318_06ccd61192_b.jpg

• Like 6

Went to the website and there doesn't seem to be anything else, but this master plan. To be perfectly honest, firms are hired to do master planning all the time without there being a project afterwards. Many times it's simply to theorize what could be done to the potential site and generate ideas for a future development. Once they get their ideas then they hire another firm to develop the full project. From their collection of projects in their portfolio it seems they have done a lot of master planning projects including one for Galveston.

I don't know how old this one is though because they don't really give any info. This master plan is pretty standard. Like very very very mediocre. It's not very inspiring at all and if this did become what would go at the post office site this would be quite the disappointment. I mean it does nothing with the surrounding area, it doesn't interact with the bayou, and it doesn't leave anything open for future growth especially in terms of mass transit which with the movement of TCR now full steam ahead into their environmental process I think that any plans for this site are on hold.

Good find though Urbannizer!

Edited by Luminare

*Edit* I see that Midway has been selected to redevelop the site, so it's 100% likely they would choose Munoz Albin as the architect lol. I guess this is our first look at the plans.

While I'm bummed by the lack of bayou integration (can't say I'm overly surprised though), the rest of the plans seem nice. And some high rises! Heh.. I still think this site is too isolated from the rest of downtown to be much besides a stand alone development though.. Too bad. I had hoped that midway might come up with something creative.

There have been rumors that midway will develop the post office project and Midway uses Munoz Albin for several projects including CityCentre

Rumors are rumors :P I don't believe anything until I see a Press Release, a statement from the city of Houston (since this is city property), or more details (renderings, etc...).

Rumors are rumors :P I don't believe anything until I see a Press Release, a statement from the city of Houston (since this is city property), or more details (renderings, etc...).

This is not city property.  It's US Postal Service property.   So I guess you'll be needing a statement from the USPS.  ;-)

• Like 1