Jump to content

POST HTX: 401 Franklin Post Office Site Redevelopment


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

if they time this thing right, its going to be a HUGE success.  Imagine this building opens in July / August of 2021.  The vaccine has rolled out, people are itching to get out and BOOM there is this place ready for you to spend you money.

 

2021 is going to be a GREAT YEAR (i keep telling myself as I hide under my desk from the current world). 

As an addendum, if it’s August and the vaccine has rolled out, people are ready to get out but realize they’ll melt if they actually go outside, and there’s this cool new air conditioned place that just opened up. 😊

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, houstontexasjack said:

As an addendum, if it’s August and the vaccine has rolled out, people are ready to get out but realize they’ll melt if they actually go outside, and there’s this cool new air conditioned place that just opened up. 😊

 

or they realize that they have to resume going into the office and sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day.

 

I wonder, how many people are going to start missing those 2 hours, and either demand more WFH options, or try to move closer to their offices?

 

probably a topic for another post...

 

no matter, I can't wait to see this thing up close and in person. looking back at my photos from day for night festival, the view of downtown is spectacular, and being able to see it from the roof is going to be even better.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

there's already a phoenicia, unless you are suggesting they move to that side of downtown, which doesn't net a new store, just moves an existing location.

 

maybe Rice Epicurean can be convinced they need to expand?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have a different relationship with grocery stores than I do. Plus the Marq-E complex is nothing to be emulated.

That said, I think a specialty grocer (or more than one) would work great here, but a full-size grocery store, even Whole Foods, is probably not ideal. An Asian market would be cool.

 

I do think proximity can be beneficial to everyone if it's done well. A big market with lots of vendors next door to a grocery store kind of offers the best of both worlds. You can go to the market (in part for that heightened "entertainment" experience), and if you realize you also need something at a standard grocery store you don't have to get back in a car and drive someplace else. 

 

Trader Joe's across from Eastern Market in DC is one example. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is going to get so much foot traffic because people are going to come just to drink coffee on the roof. It will def become a social media worthy place to take pics. 

X-150.png

^^^ actually, i would like to venture forth just to try my luck with those awesome stairs...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

I'm still not clear how access will work to this development when using the trails along Buffalo Bayou?  It's a shame they couldn't include some stairs or a ramp that would come up under Franklin St.  Seems like it could be a nice gateway to the project.

Bagby is getting a redesign that will add a new cycle and pedestrian zone, but it stops at Franklin. Maybe it could be extended by the developers? Only real access point is via George Bush Monument across the street.

A ramp bypassing Franklin would have been great though. 

This should be done by the end of 2021:

mqqkeSW.png

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Franklin itself could really stand to be redone. There's no reason for it to be anywhere near as wide as it is. It's not on the Bike Plan, but throwing some protected bike lanes on there would really help with circulation between the trails and the surface streets. Some street trees would also be nice. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Bagby is getting a redesign that will add a new cycle and pedestrian zone, but it stops at Franklin. Maybe it could be extended by the developers? Only real access point is via George Bush Monument across the street.

A ramp bypassing Franklin would have been great though. 

This should be done by the end of 2021:

mqqkeSW.png

 

Thanks! I had forgotten about the Bagby redesign.......that is great news and should offer some nice continuity for those bikers along the bayou looking to access the Post HTX.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, talltexan83 said:

I'm still not clear how access will work to this development when using the trails along Buffalo Bayou?  It's a shame they couldn't include some stairs or a ramp that would come up under Franklin St.  Seems like it could be a nice gateway to the project.

This development is new. It will def evolve.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fortune said:

Build a parking garage. . . 

There are at least 5 public garages within 5 blocks of this project. Houstonians should realize they don't always have to park directly at the thing they're going to, and it's not always going to be free.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

huge parking lots are required in a development like this. The concert venue going inside is a 5000 seater, there's not enough parking in the area when you add in the needs of the theater district.

FWIW, the last I saw, the concert venue is planned for a later phase, along with a planned hotel conversion of the office tower.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

huge parking lots are required in a development like this. The concert venue going inside is a 5000 seater, there's not enough parking in the area when you add in the needs of the theater district.

when they did day for night, there was no on site parking, and way more than 5000 people in attendance. 

I'm sure phase1 retains the surface lots, but I'd guess future phases will include a parking structure to replace at least one of the surface lots, and the other surface lots will be replaced with usable space.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jermh said:

There are at least 5 public garages within 5 blocks of this project. Houstonians should realize they don't always have to park directly at the thing they're going to, and it's not always going to be free.

I’ve been trying to say that as well. Like I get the “inconvenience” some people feel. But I only have real sympathy for those with handicaps. Otherwise walking a block or two shouldn’t be an issue. ESPECIALLY downtown. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ between you, me, and the walls, it's been announced here, and the name of it is in the image above.


@gene... was Bjork's sound guy's name Jan? I travelled the country with an Icelandic band, our monitor guy guy was her front of house guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

^^^ between you, me, and the walls, it's been announced here, and the name of it is in the image above.

This is the instagram page for Post Houston that puts up updates, renderings, vendor ads, etc. every day. The picture seems to be of the eastern side of the building, under the farm portion of the roof. I haven’t seen what’s going in that portion l.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kbates2 said:

This is the instagram page for Post Houston that puts up updates, renderings, vendor ads, etc. every day. The picture seems to be of the eastern side of the building, under the farm portion of the roof. I haven’t seen what’s going in that portion l.

I think it's the Concert/music venue?

Edited by Houston19514
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...