sevfiv

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Has anyone come across a rendering for  Post HTX at 401 Franklin? The website for Post HTX is up but there aren't any proposed drafts or anything detailing what's coming. This is the only description:

POST HTX is Houston's premiere location for the downtown experience. The historic landmark will be transformed into a fully immersive destination featuring a variety of office, retail, and culinary experiences.

http://posthtx.com

No residential?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

No residential?

That statement only covers the first phase of the project, the footprint of the current building is small in relation to the site so imagine it at the core of a much larger development perhaps like something you'd see at porta nuova. 

Edited by iah77
  • Like 3

http://www.si.com/swim-daily/2017/01/09/vibes-si-swimsuit-music-festival-houston-buy-tickets

SI is hosting an event/music festival at Post HTX in the annual media blitz promoting their swimsuit issue.  Saw the story on their front page and figured it was over the Super Bowl weekend, but it is actually two weeks later. 

“We couldn’t be more excited to bring the SI Swimsuit experience to America’s fourth-largest city less than two weeks after the biggest event in sports is set to take place in Houston,” said MJ Day, SI Swimsuit editor. “This year’s VIBES event will be an all-new and expanded experience, offering fans a cultural festival that spotlights not only the amazing stars of the iconic Swimsuit franchise, but the best in food, music and more.” 

The first-of-its-kind VIBES festival is the latest live-event offering from the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit franchise. Over the last two years, SI Swimsuit has hosted launch week fan festivals in NYC, Miami and Nashville, attracting more than 100,000 fans. For the first time in 2016 SI also hosted the inaugural Summer of Swim festival and concert at the iconic Coney Island Boardwalk. 

Not sure how big of a deal the SI Swimsuit thing is anymore, but it's still a national media/fashion (sort of) thing, and they chose Houston for promoting it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in the self-loathing Houstonian camp that thinks our faults preclude us from the positive attention of the world, but this seems like the sort of thing reserved for the cool kids.  We’re not cool now, are we? Or perhaps the visitors and convention bureau just money whipped them. 

• Like 8

• 8 months later...

Cool stuff, thanks Crockpot! A couple of the renderings conflict, as far as whether the structure will be built out to Franklin or if parks and parking lots will be in front of it. I wonder if these are phases, or different options that haven't been decided on? Any word as to a timetable for all this?

• Like 3

I can certainly see this adapted to what many ferry buildings do, open market, food vendor and restaurants type stuff. Unique clothing stores would also be a draw.

the brochure is kinda cringey... foodie... techie... collaborative collective. I know it’s marketing but do they need every buzzy wordie?

• Like 5

Big fan of food halls. Been to some great ones in Copenhagen and Mexico City. I also love the rooftop gardens. It would be nice to have another tower but this will look good on the boundary of downtown and the bayou. It should tie into the bayou trails nicely to make ti easily accessible to more than just downtown.

• Like 3

Honestly blown away. This is a Chelsea Market type meets highline type project. this could REALLY work as long as they are all in.

Agree with SWstig on high rise component / hotel component. I hope they have a phase in approach that allows them to develop / grow.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Avossos said:

Honestly blown away. This is a Chelsea Market type meets highline type project. this could REALLY work as long as they are all in.

Agree with SWstig on high rise component / hotel component. I hope they have a phase in approach that allows them to develop / grow.

Edited by iah77
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

the brochure is kinda cringey... foodie... techie... collaborative collective. I know it’s marketing but do they need every buzzy wordie?

Unfortunately, designey folksies rarely have a solid grounding in how to be a good writer.  Marketing peeps are in their own bubbly placie. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I love the flatness of phase 1 as it creates a lot of space for rooftop gardens, markets (like Chelsea market), and nice ventilated space in the humidity of Houston. Also, it Represents the topography of the city well. But I am also looking forward to phase 2, when the towers come in. It would be awesome to see the different dimensions of height and flatness come together. It is very Houston like! Excited for this project

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes, it's phase one. I copied the text from the unpublished finished website that read the first phase is coming in 2018. It may not have been clear. Sorry. I don't know if that means work will begin in 2018 or a portion of the first phase will open by then. I do know while the first phase is under construction, Lovett will continue to rent out undeveloped space there like they've been doing for the last year.

2018? Wow, that's aggressive. Here's to hoping it comes that soon.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Triton said:

2018? Wow, that's aggressive. Here's to hoping it comes that soon.

I don't think it's that aggressive. I mean it would be aggressive if the main building still needed to be built. The bones are there, it's just a matter of some basic redesign. I definitely see this happening. Based on all the trends and cohesive development popping up around the city, this doesn't seem unrealistic.

58 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

I'd like to see a rendering of this with the bayou flooded. :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing. For this to be a serious proposal, there would HAVE to be some type of contingency plan in the design phase that considers flooding. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Triton said:

Per a Lovett Commercial request, the info and renderings have been removed from public viewing.

Why? They're still available on swamplot. If they're public, they're public.

http://swamplot.com/rem-koolhaas-and-omas-big-plans-to-remake-houstons-central-post-office-into-a-major-downtown-farming-shopping-eating-and-3-d-printing-hub/2017-10-04/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Triton said:

Per a Lovett Commercial request, the info and renderings have been removed from public viewing.

Why? They're still available on swamplot. If they're public, they're public.

http://swamplot.com/rem-koolhaas-and-omas-big-plans-to-remake-houstons-central-post-office-into-a-major-downtown-farming-shopping-eating-and-3-d-printing-hub/2017-10-04/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, downtownian said:

Did you actually go through that post? Swamplot removed them as well.