GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Yes it is a city project, and they should have offered them something. It may take a city DT retail initiative (with developer incentives), similar to the highly successful Downtown Living Initiative, to get real retail going in DT Houston.

Sorry to be the bearer of good news, but the City does have an assistance program available for businesses harmed by the Dallas Street retail reconstruction project.

• Like 7

It has to be both. Having both allows people to walk around to go from one to another and creates a more vibrant setting. 

I was Downtown last Sunday and there were thousands of people there.  There was a huge convention and they were looking for somewhere to eat.  Most places closed, but I told them to go to Market Square.  Or ride the rail and get off Midtown McGowen station and walk 2 blocks west which there are many restaurants there.  Definitely need more restaurants and retail.

• Like 5

Good catch. Please let that be for refurbishment of the trashy Main Food Store across from the Hillcorp building and next to 1010 Lamar.

I'm generally very anti-government, anti-regulation, anti-zoning, anti-state, what have you......but.....is there any clever way the city could "force" these crappy dollar stores and weave stores out of those retail slots? Perhaps by proxy, or some sort of new, bogus "regulation?" :)
  • Like 1

Macy's just announced the closure of some 36 stores this month, including several downtown sites. I'm just saying that holding out for Macy's return to downtown seems increasingly unlikely at this point.

Macy's does seem troubled. One visit to a Macy's in a mall told me why. I don't expect that they will be returning to downtown Houston but, one never knows.

I'm generally very anti-government, anti-regulation, anti-zoning, anti-state, what have you......but.....is there any clever way the city could "force" these crappy dollar stores and weave stores out of those retail slots? Perhaps by proxy, or some sort of new, bogus "regulation?" :)

I'm pretty sure it's legislation like this that makes people anti-government.

• Like 4

The goal should more be to make downtown bustling and attractive enough that a different business (say Target with a urban concept) comes in and says "I want to lease this space and I'm willing to pay more than what the food mart is"

It's the market at work.  The government is best when it sticks to incentives (i.e. the DLI) and stays away from restrictions (building moratoriums, zoning, parking minimums)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's legislation like this that makes people anti-government.

Yep.

I'm of the opinion that the best bet is to price them out of the neighborhood by making everything around them really nice and someone with an idea for an alternative, more profitable use will sweep the owners off their feet.

Local public transit hubs in car dominant cities are not known to be savory places. Main Street Square seems to serve that purpose a bit.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

The goal should more be to make downtown bustling and attractive enough that a different business (say Target with a urban concept) comes in and says "I want to lease this space and I'm willing to pay more than what the food mart is"

It's the market at work.  The government is best when it sticks to incentives (i.e. the DLI) and stays away from restrictions (building moratoriums, zoning, parking minimums)

I agree.

When I caught the train at Central Station (while watching Foley's/Macy's being destroyed), I used the convenience store a few times.  It's in business because people find it useful.  I don't blame them for the sketchy street scene.  

Sure, make the area a thriving retail center so that other retailers make better offers for the space.  In the meantime, let the store be run by people willing to be retailers downtown instead of begging for tax breaks or waiting for massive street reconstruction.  

• Like 2

the city is doing everything it can to force that owner to sell and there apparently have been several recent offers to purchase... we've heard that before but this time there is real impetus with all the renovations slated for the main street corridor over the next year. clearly that thing prints money, though.

btw i heard a well known and very familiar developer has won out on the sakowitz building...

Great so can you tell us who? Geez

the city is doing everything it can to force that owner to sell and there apparently have been several recent offers to purchase... we've heard that before but this time there is real impetus with all the renovations slated for the main street corridor over the next year. clearly that thing prints money, though.

btw i heard a well known and very familiar developer has won out on the sakowitz building...

My guess is midway. That have a vested interest in that immediate area. Or Lovett. They have been doing tons of cool new stuff

• Like 1