Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

I think the darker tan looks like brick. In which case this would be a lot nicer in real life. I am optimistic that this will be very cool. And he garage in the back looks to me as if they are just showing scale. I doubt it will actually look like that.

• Like 1

I'm kinda shocked that so many don't like it. To me, like someone else said, it's OPP's sibling - they look very similar.

I like it. I give it an 8.

Like swtsig said, it will fit in nicely into the historic area. We should be thankful this developer and Hines have a conscience and are making an effort to maintain that.

• Like 3

I'm kinda shocked that so many don't like it. To me, like someone else said, it's OPP's sibling - they look very similar.

I like it. I give it an 8.

Like swtsig said, it will fit in nicely into the historic area. We should be thankful this developer and Hines have a conscience and are making an effort to maintain that.

Very well said. I think it will look great. I like one park place

• Like 1

I like the building itself and the infill, but I absolutely understand why a lot of people would prefer not to have the view from I-45 obstructed. It's one of the most striking manmade views in the world. The colors, the shapes, the textures and the sheer mass have always blown me away.

This may make it even better. Maybe it is going to add a complexity to the view that we didn't think of. We won't know until it's done.

• Like 2

I don't see how it will ruin the view. It's residential so if can't be too far over 500 feet, so next to 600 Travis it shouldn't be that big a deal. BoA and Pennzoil shouldn't be changed(if Skanska builds it might peek out a little). 609 Main should be visible behind it too so it'll really add mass to the skyline. Ground interaction looks weird so it'll be interesting how they integrate the garage and where they put the retail.

• Like 3

Wow - honestly beautiful, somewhat art deco meets One Park Place design! A very high end feel to this. I really can't wait for this one to start. I will be able to get a great view of this from my house! I really hope they plan to use brick and real stone.

How tall is OPP?

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

I realize the International Tower is a long shot, but if it were built along with this and the Hines residential project on the Cabo's/El Big Bad block, Market Square park would have the feel of one of those parks in Manhattan mostly surrounded by tall buildings. A pretty neat neighborhood. 

• Like 1

Are you sure this isn't a design for San Francisco? Look at that elevation change! :D

Exactly what I was thinking!

Wow - honestly beautiful, somewhat art deco meets One Park Place design! A very high end feel to this. I really can't wait for this one to start. I will be able to get a great view of this from my house! I really hope they plan to use brick and real stone.

How tall is OPP?

501'

I still don't like it, but I hate OPP too so no surprise there.  However, what I really hate is that massive parking garage in the back.  If you get rid of that and build one that is at the same height where the tower elevation changes, then what would make for a huge improvement; you have it blend in, it looks like it's not part of the tower now.  That big, ugly garage is very noticeable when you view downtown from the northeast side.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but there's really no excuse for using the Market Square/Milam Street frontage as nothing other than a cloistered driveway for cars to get to the Kim Son garage. Put the building on Milam Street and put some ground floor retail facing the square. There are other ways to access that garage.

From the renderings currently, the design is awful. It's lipstick on skyhouse. I hope I'm wrong in my current judgement when more realistic renderings show up... oh who am I kidding? This stucco tower will be a stain on the I-45 southbound skyline. 

Before everyone jumps my case, seriously, this tower is fresh out of the time machine from 2003. Same color scheme as the Ventana.

I'll take back my comment if it comes to fruition and looks more sophisticated.

• Like 1

The design is terrific. This will be a great addition to the skyline. It will make the view from I-45 be even better and make downtown look even wider from the west. Love that the northern end of downtown is getting some serious height. 

Edited by Hugh Stone
  • Like 2

From the renderings currently, the design is awful. It's lipstick on skyhouse. I hope I'm wrong in my current judgement when more realistic renderings show up... oh who am I kidding? This stucco tower will be a stain on the I-45 southbound skyline.

Before everyone jumps my case, seriously, this tower is fresh out of the time machine from 2003. Same color scheme as the Ventana.

I'll take back my comment if it comes to fruition and looks more sophisticated.

Is there a possibility it's something other than stucco? I'm not a materials guru.