Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Look how close the cement robot arm dispenser thingey (blue and white) is to the crane.  They are going to need to jump that again, or this thing is about to top-out.

It is a placing boom. It gets jumped every 5-8 floors in my experience. Depends on the job. 

• Like 1

Yikes.

This boom 2010-2016 Houston builds 27 million square feet of beige resi and plain glass boxes with a few notable exceptions.

Some recent pics of NYC show me that cities are starting to resemble futuristic sci-fi cities but not Houston yet.

If you squint at 2929 Weslayan or catch a glimpse it looks futuristic.
  • Like 1

are there balconies back there? its hard to tell from the picture. we've seen the windows back there. it does seem kind of odd but i guess natural light with no views is better than artificial light? i would hope they don't lease those out as units, and use the rear lower floors as mechanical and common areas. unless they drastically reduce the rent? though it kind of makes you wonder if there are any radical changes planned for the garage, and/or what exactly 2.9 million can do in terms of garage development?

are there balconies back there? its hard to tell from the picture. we've seen the windows back there. it does seem kind of odd but i guess natural light with no views is better than artificial light? i would hope they don't lease those out as units, and use the rear lower floors as mechanical and common areas. unless they drastically reduce the rent? though it kind of makes you wonder if there are any radical changes planned for the garage, and/or what exactly 2.9 million can do in terms of garage development?

I thought those were for tie in to the garage.. like pedestrian walkway so you dont have to go all the way down, outside, and around the block to the main entry.

• Like 1

It's a shame this tower will block the awesome view of BofA on I-10 heading west right by Downtown... Oh well. As Bill Heslop says, "you can't stop progress".

IDK - it's only going to be about as tall as the second setback (from the bottom) of the middle tier... stated differently, not a whole lot taller than Lyric, which is a block west, and directly north of BoA (well, "directly" in the context of our agreed municipal fiction that rotates the downtown compass 45 degrees).

Edited by mollusk

IDK - it's only going to be about as tall as the second setback (from the bottom) of the middle tier... stated differently, not a whole lot taller than Lyric, which is a block west, and directly north of BoA (well, "directly" in the context of our agreed municipal fiction that rotates the downtown compass 45 degrees).

It already blocks half the view. I know it's just one angle but still sucks in my books.

The Bayou Banks and the Bayou.

1. Does the Bayou need to be cleaned up?

2. Can the Banks be beautified and is that being done?

1. yes. the amount of trash in every bayou is staggering. go for a walk, or a bike ride after the next heavy rainstorm down one of the bayou trails, look at how much trash is floating down the bayous.

2. they can, I don't think anything is being done on this stretch. of course, what's your definition of beautified? mid 60s corps of engineer concrete lined beauty? current buffalo bayou park beauty? natural beauty? land that was abandoned from industrial use more than 50 years ago beauty? I think, if it's the latter, you're all set.

1. yes. the amount of trash in every bayou is staggering. go for a walk, or a bike ride after the next heavy rainstorm down one of the bayou trails, look at how much trash is floating down the bayous.

2. they can, I don't think anything is being done on this stretch. of course, what's your definition of beautified? mid 60s corps of engineer concrete lined beauty? current buffalo bayou park beauty? natural beauty? land that was abandoned from industrial use more than 50 years ago beauty? I think, if it's the latter, you're all set.

I think the ultimate issue that makes a lot of the beautification discussion kinda moot is that it's still a functional drainage waterway. We can try and control its flooding, but anything on the banks HAS to be flood-proof. No point in designing something otherwise. What that does to trash is what you hinted at - Houstonians can be careless & heartless sometimes.