Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

i wonder what will be in the little corner on Milam/Preston, on the right side of the building.. a pocket park? seems pointless as Market Square is right across the street. maybe an outdoor dining area for a restaurant/cafe or something? or the pool.. didnt look like there was room anywhere on the roof for one?

Ugh. I hope it falls through. To me the north facing skyline is the best view we have and any building built in front of the BOA building (700 Louisiana) or the Pennzoil buildings will be a soaring wall of concrete and steel to mask the view I like best. This is crummy.

The rendering looks a bit preliminary so I'd not rush too far to judgement.  As shown, it seems perhaps a tad mundane, but for a 40-story residential tower adjoining Market Square and replacing surface parking I'm willing to make allowances.  

So if I'm looking at this correctly the main axis is on Preston not Milam.

• Like 1

Crummy?  It was bound to happen.  Chances this gets built are not 100% so relax.

besides that it is a very basic rendering with little to no detail and of low quality - no telling how it will end up looking. to spaz out and call it "crummy" and hope it doesn't get built is one helluva overreaction.

should bode well for those that want to maintain the feel of the historic district, though.

• Like 1

If you zoom in on the pdf, it looks like the "space" is actually a single story storefront component.

Storefront?  I read it as a garage entrance.  In the first two bays there are white shapes that look like cars.  

Overall the lower street facade doesn't look bad, but the upper floors come off as somewhat cheap.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought garage entrance too, but that doesn't quite make sense. 

Why would it only be one story? Why would it be separated from the main building like that? It makes sense to separate retail for fire code etc, but a garage entrance?

Plus it doesn't actually look flush with the street.

Admittedly, this might be as much excessive optimism as anything else. One-story retail fronting Market Square with the main building pushed back would make perfect sense.

Ultimately a higher quality image is needed to know for sure.

^Y'all need to relax a bit until we get further along.  Massing studies are very very common for firms designing something this large.  Remember this was a sort of promotional rendering that was sent to the downtown district to put into their pamphlet, not a rendering released to the Chronicle for publication as a "Guess What's Coming to an Empty Lot Near You?"

I dunno. The scheme slightly resembles the M&M building and that is a handsome building.

I think they just did a faded rendering so that it won't look line something too new looking going up around Market square.

They may create a very attractive art deco-like building like M&M

post-12649-0-29421000-1394069276_thumb.j

post-12649-0-15888000-1394069327.jpg

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1