Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise For Downtown

Urbannizer

Or find more suitable land for Allen Parkway Village. Just imagine if that was all high rise residential with retail and restaurants. Facing the beautiful views of downtown, even with 45 cutting through the middle, it would be fantastic. And with all that is happening on Allen Parkway (and Buffalo Bayou) already, restaurants, and high-rises, instead of 2 story government apartments would make sense. They could sell the land for a fortune and relocate and expand the low income housing close by. That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 5

Indeed.

For all the trash ppl talk about mayor parker, the residential incentive is one of the best things to ever happen to downtown houston.

People talk trash about mayor Parker?? Heh, but seriously.. Besides the metro funding screw up what's to not like? She has done some incredible things for Houston, and especially the parks districts and downtown area... Without her downtown would continue to be a ghost town after 5..

People talk trash about mayor Parker?? Heh, but seriously.. Besides the metro funding screw up what's to not like? She has done some incredible things for Houston, and especially the parks districts and downtown area... Without her downtown would continue to be a ghost town after 5..

Well it really started with Mayor Brown... but yes, she has done some wonderful things. Now only if she could fix these damn streets. I think I'll run for mayor and my slogan will be "No new pot holes EVER!"

• Like 2

In terms of residential hi rises on the west side perhaps the possible sale of the police property on Washington and Houston Ave. and the Post Office on Franklin also could be the future site for a mixed use residential development. The views from there would be spectacular and Washington Ave is a straight shot into downtown

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i wonder what will be in the little corner on Milam/Preston, on the right side of the building.. a pocket park? seems pointless as Market Square is right across the street. maybe an outdoor dining area for a restaurant/cafe or something? or the pool.. didnt look like there was room anywhere on the roof for one?

Ugh. I hope it falls through. To me the north facing skyline is the best view we have and any building built in front of the BOA building (700 Louisiana) or the Pennzoil buildings will be a soaring wall of concrete and steel to mask the view I like best. This is crummy.

The rendering looks a bit preliminary so I'd not rush too far to judgement.  As shown, it seems perhaps a tad mundane, but for a 40-story residential tower adjoining Market Square and replacing surface parking I'm willing to make allowances.  

So if I'm looking at this correctly the main axis is on Preston not Milam.

• Like 1

Crummy?  It was bound to happen.  Chances this gets built are not 100% so relax.

besides that it is a very basic rendering with little to no detail and of low quality - no telling how it will end up looking. to spaz out and call it "crummy" and hope it doesn't get built is one helluva overreaction.

should bode well for those that want to maintain the feel of the historic district, though.

• Like 1

If you zoom in on the pdf, it looks like the "space" is actually a single story storefront component.

Storefront?  I read it as a garage entrance.  In the first two bays there are white shapes that look like cars.  

Overall the lower street facade doesn't look bad, but the upper floors come off as somewhat cheap.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought garage entrance too, but that doesn't quite make sense. 

Why would it only be one story? Why would it be separated from the main building like that? It makes sense to separate retail for fire code etc, but a garage entrance?

Plus it doesn't actually look flush with the street.

Admittedly, this might be as much excessive optimism as anything else. One-story retail fronting Market Square with the main building pushed back would make perfect sense.

Ultimately a higher quality image is needed to know for sure.

^Y'all need to relax a bit until we get further along.  Massing studies are very very common for firms designing something this large.  Remember this was a sort of promotional rendering that was sent to the downtown district to put into their pamphlet, not a rendering released to the Chronicle for publication as a "Guess What's Coming to an Empty Lot Near You?"

I dunno. The scheme slightly resembles the M&M building and that is a handsome building.

I think they just did a faded rendering so that it won't look line something too new looking going up around Market square.

They may create a very attractive art deco-like building like M&M

post-12649-0-29421000-1394069276_thumb.j

post-12649-0-15888000-1394069327.jpg

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

I think the darker tan looks like brick. In which case this would be a lot nicer in real life. I am optimistic that this will be very cool. And he garage in the back looks to me as if they are just showing scale. I doubt it will actually look like that.

• Like 1

I'm kinda shocked that so many don't like it. To me, like someone else said, it's OPP's sibling - they look very similar.

I like it. I give it an 8.

Like swtsig said, it will fit in nicely into the historic area. We should be thankful this developer and Hines have a conscience and are making an effort to maintain that.

• Like 3

I'm kinda shocked that so many don't like it. To me, like someone else said, it's OPP's sibling - they look very similar.

I like it. I give it an 8.

Like swtsig said, it will fit in nicely into the historic area. We should be thankful this developer and Hines have a conscience and are making an effort to maintain that.

Very well said. I think it will look great. I like one park place

• Like 1

I like the building itself and the infill, but I absolutely understand why a lot of people would prefer not to have the view from I-45 obstructed. It's one of the most striking manmade views in the world. The colors, the shapes, the textures and the sheer mass have always blown me away.

This may make it even better. Maybe it is going to add a complexity to the view that we didn't think of. We won't know until it's done.

• Like 2

I don't see how it will ruin the view. It's residential so if can't be too far over 500 feet, so next to 600 Travis it shouldn't be that big a deal. BoA and Pennzoil shouldn't be changed(if Skanska builds it might peek out a little). 609 Main should be visible behind it too so it'll really add mass to the skyline. Ground interaction looks weird so it'll be interesting how they integrate the garage and where they put the retail.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise For Downtown
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked