Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

I'm still wondering how the existing garage will be renovated.  It sure is ugly.

From what I read it's probably going to shrink a couple levels as they specified that they will not be needing that much parking and I'm guessing they are integrating it into the new building so that should help.

From what I read it's probably going to shrink a couple levels as they specified that they will not be needing that much parking and I'm guessing they are integrating it into the new building so that should help.

Sounds great, hope they do just that!  It's just too big in my opinion. 

Here are some photos I took this morning. You can see the basement walls more clearly than he photos I took yesteday. I have some more I took during lunch that I will post later.

The building on the right corner was the Bertallot Building, best known for housing The Cellar club (see article above).  Demolished in May 1981.  The smaller foundation immediately to the north of that was the Bethje-Lang building, which was the site of the original Warren's.  It was built around 1868 (thanks "Last of the Past, Houston Architecture 1847-1915").

It doesn't say anything about what buildings were on the left along Preston, but my 1940 "Downtowner" map shows a whole string of businesses there:  Breier, N Ulman, Barber, cafe, B&M Sales, another cafe, Newport K, Liberia, Bargain, N Halstead. 

• Like 2

Think of all the cranes that'll be towering over the skyline in about a year. 609 (2 or 3 cranes), One Market Square (2 cranes), Hess Tower (2 cranes), Marriott (2-3 cranes), the 10-story building next to GRB (1-2 cranes), 6 HC (2-3 cranes), Macy's site (3 cranes). It's gonna be bad ass. It'll rival the exxon site I bet.

Talked to a supervisor at 609 Main on Sunday morning (8/17/14), he said 3 tower cranes will be used. 2 for the office and 1 for the garage.

• Like 2

Can you elaborate?

Digging up old utility lines and relocating them away from the structural supports of the sure. I imagine there would be a few utility lines running through the site since it was just a parking lot before construction. If there were, then they would need to be dug up and rerouted on a more linear path away from the site, most likely under the lane they have closed. This is just a guess though.

This might just be because of the picture quality but if you zoom in you can see that it looks like they leveled out the site into a shallow pit. There's a ladder on the right side that goes down into pit as well as one in the top right corner. So maybe I was wrong based on my initial observation.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 1

HFF announced today that it has arranged financing for the development of Market Square Tower, a 40-story, mixed-use tower that will include 463 luxury residential units and 21,000 square feet of retail in downtown Houston.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hff-arranges-financing-for-high-rise-mixed-use-development-in-downtown-houston-2014-09-03

Edit: Website - http://www.marketsquaretower.com/

• Like 3