Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

To appease the masses here are some pics from earlier today.

Thanks.  When driving past I'm usually on Milam or Louisiana and paying too much attention to trying to make the light at Preston without getting clobbered by a bus to get a good look. 

Texas D.E. Harvey Builders has started constructing Market Square Tower at 777 Preston in downtown Houston. The 40-story, 500,000-sq-ft building will contain 463 rental apartments, an indoor basketball court, a virtual golf simulator, a screening room with recliners, a banquet room and two swimming pools. The project owner is the Woodbranch Investment Group. Construction is expected to be completed by January 2017. The project is valued at $147.3 million. D.E. Harvey Builders, Attn: Dustin Kelch, Project Manager, 3630 Westchase, Houston, 77042. DR#14-00507311.

http://enr.construction.com/resources/pulse/2014/0811-pulse.asp

• Like 2

2.5 years to build this?

For whatever reason (likely totally wrong headed on my part), this seems quite long to me. I would have guessed no more that 2 years. Shows again why fools like me don't build buildings.

Don't beat yourself down too much. You're right, something like this could go up in less than 2 years. The key factor here is money. Spend more money on construction and it'll go quicker. Save money on construction and amount of labor the months start to add up. Think BHPBilliton Tower vs Astoria. BHP started theirs months after Astoria started yet they're at the same height and are somewhat confined to similar tight land spaces on Post Oak. Edited by BigFootsSocks

I'm in industrial construction, and were having some occasional labor shortages. The highrise market may be more severe though. 

We are having crazy labor shortages.  Also in sub markets like the energy corridor lead times for concrete are 5-8 weeks even for the big concrete guys (Keystone / Baker).

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of warm bodies willing to fill your jobsite, but finding qualified labor is becoming a real challenge. 

• Like 1

I won't go too much down the path of politics/labor movements. A lot of the plants/refineries/etc.. require federal background checks and significant drug testing. When I was traveling all over the country a lot more; I'd get hair follicle tested like 5 times a year- Urinalysis was easily a dozen times per year. Rather annoying, but it thins out our available pool of workers. I kind of wish they lightened up about that. 

• Like 1

2.5 years to build this?

For whatever reason (likely totally wrong headed on my part), this seems quite long to me. I would have guessed no more that 2 years. Shows again why fools like me don't build buildings.

Don't beat yourself down too much. You're right, something like this could go up in less than 2 years. The key factor here is money. Spend more money on construction and it'll go quicker. Save money on construction and amount of labor the months start to add up. Think BHPBilliton Tower vs Astoria. BHP started theirs months after Astoria started yet they're at the same height and are somewhat confined to similar tight land spaces on Post Oak.

Is there any particular reason this building should go up faster than other buildings of comparable height?  Will 2929 Weslayan be completed in less than 2 years?  (Hint:  it was started in November 2012.)    2 1/2 years seems like a pretty normal construction time for a 40-story building.

• Like 2

Houston_North_Future.jpg

Is the above photo-shopped image an accurate portrayal of the building? Seems 'fat' for such a narrow piece of land as seen from the image above taken from the previous poster. I figured it would resemble more One Park Place with a wide face and narrow sides and not a perfect square as seen in this rendering.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1