Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Wow, so cool. I feel like i have been transported in time! What a very different, almost sleepy feel those buildings have (at the time of this picture). Now to be replaced with a 40 story tower. Wow.

Whats awesome/sad is that almost everything surrounding Market Square used to look just like this.

Just look at the La Carafe block and the current Warrens block.

To the left was the Cellar and where was the Pussycat? I remember it on one of the corners I think where the clock tower is now.

Does anyone have a picture of the Pussycat sign? I believe it was one of the last strip clubs downtown. Was a kid when I first saw it.

To the left was the Cellar and where was the Pussycat? I remember it on one of the corners I think where the clock tower is now.

Does anyone have a picture of the Pussycat sign? I believe it was one of the last strip clubs downtown. Was a kid when I first saw it.

There are some pictures on HAIF I believe.

Tearing down that strip of historic buildings in the middle of the night to build a gigantic parking garage on Market Square was, after the demolition of the Shamrock, one of the worst crimes against preservation to ever occur in Houston.  

• Like 4

The van in the picture in the article is no older than a 1971 model, FWIW.

Sounds seedy. We have Fondren for that now.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone's trying to bring all that back. It's as much a part of downtown's past as men in top hats helping women in dresses onto trolleys.

Sounds seedy. 

Heeyyyyyyyy... what's so bad about seedy?  :rolleyes:

Driving past on Milam earlier today, I saw a Harvey sign on the fence.  Looks like there will be more cement trucks to dodge sooner rather than later there.

• Like 1

I think I'm more excited about this development than Hines... Just because it removes more surface parking

Hines tower takes all of the surface lot parking out of the block it is going on, same as this one.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone's trying to bring all that back. It's as much a part of downtown's past as men in top hats helping women in dresses onto trolleys.

There's way a market for seedy, it's just interesting where it goes over time. All interesting stuff.

• Like 1

I was referring to the hippy/lovefest thing that the article discussed. Did you think it was seedy because the buildings looked run down in the photo?

No, I meant seedy as referring to the types of activities that they were describing/relative position in the overall city cultural scene.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

They've now got both southbound sidewalks closed  (Louisiana & Milam).  This is creating a dangerous situation.  Parkers in the garage are having to walk in the street.  Downtown drivers be crazy, including Metro buses.  Should I report this Hazard to the city?

No! It might cause them to cancel the project and then the boom will be over! How'd you like THAT hanging over your head for the rest of your life?

Haha.  :lol:  Maybe I'll just start taking the shuttle to go 1 BLOCK.!  Or, I could walk against traffic, so that I can see what's about to hit me.

It won't be hanging over my head if I'm dead.

Edited by rsb320