Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Both Towers will make an impact on the skyline. I pass by the area on I-10 every morning, and will certainly add more density. They will compliment the Chase Tower's height nicely much like the Calpine Center has.

sgi9vq.jpg

Imagine this view when both are completed. I'm content with the design, aslong as it's not orange, yellow, or beige stucco.

From that particular vantage point, One Pipe Wrench Plaza (aka BG Place) would be just about completely blocked from view, since the new building will be on the south half of the block containing the big honkin' parking garage dead front and center and is projected to be seven stories taller than Calpine.  Immediately behind it from this angle will be 609 Main.  So I guess it's good that we will have Two Pipe Wrench Plaza to contemplate. 

• Like 2

On second thought, we might not even see much of Two Pipe Wrench Plaza from that angle.  Good work, MW (though I might put 609 Main just a skosh to the right from where you have it, and a bit shorter - as per Emporis it's 7m shorter than 700 Louisiana, and a bit further away than the Castle of Commerce from this perspective).

Amazing that it took almost 30 years for the bulldozing of the historic buildings on that lot to be (almost) redeemed, but I'm glad it's finally happening.  It's such a shame that after they were illegally turn down, it sat for so long as an empty lot.

• Like 1

Amazing that it took almost 30 years for the bulldozing of the historic buildings on that lot to be (almost) redeemed, but I'm glad it's finally happening. It's such a shame that after they were illegally turn down, it sat for so long as an empty lot.

Hmmm... a port cochere that takes up half a block might not fully redeem the Civil War era storefronts that were there.

• Like 1

Amazing that it took almost 30 years for the bulldozing of the historic buildings on that lot to be (almost) redeemed, but I'm glad it's finally happening.  It's such a shame that after they were illegally turn down, it sat for so long as an empty lot.

As, I recall, the old buildings that were there burned.

As, I recall, the old buildings that were there burned.

At least some were torn down - there was a bar called Warren's where the owner held out for years in the 1980's trying to save his building, but a bank (I believe Guaranty Bank) was trying to buy out the block for an office tower. He wouldn't sell, and all sorts of pranks started happening - people would clog the bathroom plumbing, etc. Finally he went out of business and sold, they tore the building down, and then the bank promptly went under due to the oil recession.

Subdude has a postcard of it somewhere.

Warren's never went out of business - it's still open on the other side of Market Square, and still owned by the (now) late Warren's sister.

Its demolition was without benefit of a permit and started up at an ungodly hour so that nobody could get in the way to stop it.

• Like 2

Warren's never went out of business - it's still open on the other side of Market Square, and still owned by the (now) late Warren's sister.

Its demolition was without benefit of a permit and started up at an ungodly hour so that nobody could get in the way to stop it.

Ok, so they just pressured him until he sold and moved locations?  There was an article about it posted on some thread...

This.

Warren's was on the other side, on the empty block where the International Tower is supposed to go.  The spot where this tower is going had an old Western wear place there and some other stuff.  Not sure if they burned or not.  There used to be a picture of it in the old Market Square park.

This.

Warren's was on the other side, on the empty block where the International Tower is supposed to go. The spot where this tower is going had an old Western wear place there and some other stuff. Not sure if they burned or not. There used to be a picture of it in the old Market Square park.

Nah, Warrens was on Milam, where the Kim Son parking garage is.

But the demolition that causes the most pain today is probably that of Warren’s Inn (316 Milam) in 1988. Warren was Warren Trousdale, whose first downtown bar was called Ali Baba (823 Congress). According to his sister, Carolyn Wenglar, who now owns and manages both La Carafe and the current Warren’s Inn, Trousdale managed to buy the Bethje-Lang building (where Warren’s was located), after the Ali Baba building was demolished.

As the owner, Trousdale was probably feeling safe operating the old building he loved so much. But as early as 1982, the Chronicle reported that a development company that wanted to build an office building and parking garage was attempting to buy the property. Trousdale is quoted as saying, “I told them they’d have to build over me because I won’t sell. We need some old buildings left, something for future generations to see besides steel and glass – something old and dear, like these buildings.”

With its large statues representing the four seasons (left over from the previous occupant, Les Quatre Saisons) and its beautifully aged atmosphere, Warren’s Inn was a building that many Houstonians held close to their hearts.

That’s why the news that Trousdale had finally sold the property to Guardian Savings came as an unwelcome surprise. Why had he sold? Those closest to him said that he had been the subject of a campaign of harassment.

“Somebody – we don’t know who – was putting t-shirts in his toilets (to clog them). They even put cement in his sewer,” says his sister. She’s kept the current Warren’s Inn alive “in a little bit of tribute” to her brother, who was “quite a guy.”

Ultimately deprived of a sewer connection, Trousdale sold the property and moved across Market Square. He died in 1988, not long after Guardian Savings demolished the building – without taking out the proper permits.

Not long after, the oil bust caught up to Guardian Savings and it went bankrupt. “Maybe there was a little bit of karma there,” Wenglar says with a tiny note of triumph in her voice.

• Like 1