Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Err.. What the heck are you taking about? The theater district master plan is Houston First's next focus after the convention district redevelopment wraps up next year.. Sure some things will probably change in the finalization process, but rest assured they are serious about this.

Im not Poo-poo-ing this project at all. But My contact close to the city had some discouraging things to say about it, in terms of funding and scope.

Ahh. I took your "pie in the sky" reference to mean you thought it was complete fantasy or something.. Lol. One of the heads of Houston First that I spoke with was very optimistic about it.. But yeah funding should be interesting. Hopefully they can figure out how to funnel some funds from the same source that is funding the convention district over to the theater district redevelopment afterwards. I'm not positive where all that money is coming from?

• Like 1

I’ve got it!

Chronicle closes up shop at their DT HQ and then level that block. The grand I-45 reroute boondoggle gets like 10% grander by connecting the monstrosity of a trunkline East of DT to Memorial via a sunken Preston and Prairie (one Eastbound, one Westbound) that goes under Minute Maid (yes, I know field level is like 30 feet below grade already) that resurfaces around Milam. Then you combine the Chronicle block with the vacant lot and make Market Square a Market Rectangle. What’s another billion dollars?

Cloud is that you

• Like 2

What do you expect to be back there? This building is half a block wide.. That's like 125'... If you only had units on one side, and utilities/hallway on the far back side that would leave you with 100'+ long units. For the units less than 1,000 sq ft it would mean they would be less than 10' wide.. Very improbable.

• Like 1

I would imagine the northern half of the top simply doesn't have any amenities since they don't expect that view to be very popular. I doubt there will any kind of mechanical equipment there. I wouldn't be too worried.

• Like 1

The facade is going to be all brick and stone. A few weeks ago I went to the 10 floor of the existing garage and saw the facade prototype they were building, even snapped a couple of pictures. Also the rendering on site on Milam St. shows an all stone facade for the first 4-5 floors and details all brick to the 40th floor with stone accents. It should turn out very similar to One Park Place (same architect).

There will also be fabulous southwestern and downtown views of the city FROM this building. The older 20-30 floor JPMorgan Chase bldg, 609 Main, BGgroup Place and the new Hines Tower across Market Square will be especially prominent from the units on the southeast (Milam) side of the building - particularly when they are all lit up at night.

Glad to hear/see it's not stucco or painted brick. I was hoping for darker stone but I'll reserve judgement until it has enough on its facade to get a better idea of how it will tie into the skyline. Thanks for the info & pics!

Intriguing.  Maybe they are going to have the larger 2-3 bedroom apartments on the back, and the smaller ones at the front?  Or maybe the apartments will just be wider since they will have to be narrower than the front.  That would allow them to have more units on the better view.

• Like 1