Bars and clubs in the 70's

matty1979

Why in the world has no one mentioned the hottest dance club/ disco Houston had ever seen ?

After Dark @ 6500 Westpark Dr near Hillcroft was simply unmatched in all area.....clientele [ best dancers ], DJ...Ray Rameriz, bartenders.....Bob Hartley, Bruce Glass, Michael Max.

Fashion Shows put together by Tootsie’s Mickey Rosmarin, and top drawer owners Vernon Young & Ben Gentry along with managers and door and floor managers Randy Taylor & Stan Stark. Above all the most beautiful customer women/dancers there every night......Donna Hill, Regina Flores, Scarlet Maegel, Cindy Eisenhauer, Linda Smith, Janice Carbon + + +. 
Regulars had their own reserved parking, reserved tables & assigned waitresses. Parking lot was filled to the max nightly with Corvettes, Jags, Caddies, Lamborginis, Panteras, Aston Martins, etc.

The club dominated other clubs so outlandishly that it was firebombed TWICE by another club’s [ Genesis ]
owners. They were caught after 2nd event & got 30 years !

Hope to hear feedback from anyone lucky enough to have experienced the After Dark phenomenon right here in this column....Best to all ! S Stark

there was a different club called After Dark in the late 80's/early 90's. It moved 3 times. One location was on Antione just north of Little York, their next was on Dyna Drive where the Pontiac dealer used to be. I think their third was on Mangum near Dacoma, or on Dacoma near Mangum. The guy who owned that one was a Middle Eastern guy named Alex, his monthly UAE oil royalties floated the club

We moved from Houston to San Antonio in 83. But I vaguely remember After Dark, the one you were talking about. Did you go to any other discos and did you dance. Houston had a bump contest and I came in second. I can brag about the past, for now I am 73. I moved from Atlanta to Houston in 71. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2014 at 10:13 AM, Purpledevil said:

That's the way I've always heard it too. Another "pressure cooker" club like this is the old "Name Dropper" on Yale, just before Parker Rd. We used to live two blocks away from this little doozy, and our neighbor catty corner from us used to get dressed up in her little tight pants and heels, sache down the street around 11am, then come running back home around 3:30-4, ditch the get up, and be outside to greet her husband in the driveway donning a pair of sweat pants and tennis shoes, when he inevitably showed up at home around 5. My wife caught this going on daily, after we first moved to Parkway in the 90s, got me to start paying attention, then it continued until they subsequently divorced and moved out of the house. Gee, I wonder why?

You never have to worry about the Name Dropper wrecking any more marriages, though. Caught fire and burned to the ground in the early 2000's, only the neon sign remained afterwards. With the widening of Yale last year, even that relic has been removed. There's very little trace of the ol' Dropper left now.

I hung out there also, but I wasn't married. The Oilers hung there for a while also, that is where I met the love of my life.