Smart Financial Centre At Sugar Land At 18111 Lexington Blvd.

editor

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is so silly. I wish they could just go with a real name and then simply add "Sponsored by: Smart Financial Centre". I mean what is this a sports stadium? Hell it doesn't make any sense there too!

This is so silly. I wish they could just go with a real name and then simply add "Sponsored by: Smart Financial Centre". I mean what is this a sports stadium? Hell it doesn't make any sense there too!

I agree. Not very classy.  Should have named it the Sugar Land Tax Payers Centre.  

Too bad better thought wasn't given to *what* was going to be built on the other side of that nifty little park?!  Maybe some residential apartments or townhomes (or both) would have helped to give the place more of 24/7 look?  I guess in time there's the possibility it may "fill out"?

• 9 months later...

Who wants to tell Culture Map that that's traditional for most all buidlings no matter the time of year?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/12-02-15-new-84-million-sugar-land-performance-arena-tops-out-in-a-holiday-way/

The topping off ceremony for the Smart Financial Centre at Suglar Land included a Christmas tree

https://www.bisnow.com/archives/newsletter/local-real-estate/houston/6821-sugar-land-performance-venue-7-years-down-1-to-go/

Smart Financial Centre, Sugar Land's highly anticipated performance venue, topped out yesterday. Construction has flown quickly—it broke ground last December—but it's been a long process for the team.

81447_1449033699_IMG_3460-medium.JPG

ACE Theatrical Group exec Gary Becker (general manager of the new $84M venue and son of Houston mega-promoter Allen Becker from Pace Entertainment) says Sugar Land voters approved the funding in December 2008. Seven years into the project, he says the team (ACE, Linbeck and Martinez + Johnson Architecture) has started to feel like a family. (You had enough family time after one quarter of the Cowboys' Thanksgiving game; imagine seven straight years together.) We snapped Linbeck project manager Tommy Cole with Sugar Land Mayor James Thompson at yesterday's Smart Financial Centre topping out ceremony. Mayor Thompson isn't fazed by the large "family" involved in the project. "We have a unique team, and we gathered everyone early on. The project will be the same model used at the ballpark [Constellation Field]." 

81447_1449076656_SmartFinancialCentreTop

Like the ballpark, Smart Financial Centre will also be a public/private partnership; ACE is a $10M equity partner. Smart Financial Credit Union paid $6.7M for the naming rights. The development is just one piece in a huge urbanization happening in Sugar Land. Work has been proceeding on development across the city as part of its comprehensive plan and Vision 2025, adopted in 2009. The performance venue is in the heart of prime Sugar Land real estate, on the northeast corner of Highway 59 and University Boulevard. It will be the crown jewel among a series of massive new developments, including the offices for Fluor and Texas Instruments, as well as the contested mixed-use development from Newland Communities.

The Smart Financial Centre is projected to attract 260,000 paid attendees annually, with an estimated return of $572M over the next 30 years. The venue will host musical and comedy acts, theater productions and cultural/performing arts. Completion is scheduled for fall 2016. Rendered here is the main entry plaza.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was there a few days ago, it looked like they were finishing up putting the letters for the sign on the structure itself, and were starting to build a fairly tall sign along the feeder. Saw it had a rendering in front, but didn't get a chance to see how the buildout would appear.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Smart Financial Centre At Sugar Land At 18111 Lexington Blvd.

Archived