Guilty Pleasures: Movies/Music

Montrose1100

An 80s band that I didn't start getting into until the mid 90s that's worth a youtube is Einstürzende Neubauten, they're industrial, but more on the experimental end.

I have to admit no small degree of amusement imagining the reactions of a multitude of HAIFers firing up Einstuerzende Neubauten videos with the volume cranked, with no prior knowledge of them but figuring that they must be on-topic from the name.  :)

I have to admit no small degree of amusement imagining the reactions of a multitude of HAIFers firing up Einstuerzende Neubauten videos with the volume cranked, with no prior knowledge of them but figuring that they must be on-topic from the name.  :)

Hilarious. 

I have to admit, it's not my thing, but you certainly don't hear experimentation like that these days (or, rather likely, I am too old and out of touch now to know about it).

The mid 80s were awesome because of places like NRG, EMOS/SOME, Red Square, Power Tools, Numbers, Yucatan Liquor Stand, and more. However, I liked those times for Front 242, New Order, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, Love + Rockets, Catherine Wheel, Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Book of Love, Siouxsie, Fad Gadget, Peter Murphy, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dominatrix, Yaz, Propaganda, Stone Roses, Berlin, Alphaville, Boxcar, Tom Tom Club, Electronic, Camouflage, The Farm, Cetu Javu, Cocteau Twins, Bronski Beat, Boytronic, Gang of Four, Dead or Alive, MC 900 Foot Jesus, Stephen Duffy, Section 25, Sisters of Mercy, Front Line Assembly, Hoodoo Gurus, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Clan of Xymox, Charlatan UK, Trashcan Sinatras, Live, OMD, The Church, James, Old School Players, Sandra, Soft Cell, Flock of Seagulls, Happy Mondays, Marc Almond, Psychedelic Furs, Mission UK...

Watched a movie today called 'the Guest' 2014. It was great in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

The soundtrack was even better. Clan of Xymox, Love and Rockets, Front 242, Sisters of mercy.

It reminded me of reading this post.

Everything KinkaidAlum said.

An 80s band that I didn't start getting into until the mid 90s that's worth a youtube is Einstürzende Neubauten, they're industrial, but more on the experimental end.

I YouTubed them and they are so far in the experimental end they don't even play then at #'s on underworld night.

I think I should feel angry for watching and listening to them but I kind of feel nothing. I can only describe it as trying a drug out in high school and you have expectations but nothing happens. You just kind of exist as you have before.

I've noticed a topic we haven't really touched on is Documentaries. I know, I know, after watching a documentary you are suddenly the worlds leading expert on the subject... But I thought I'd share a few that have touched my heart.

The first one "Connected: The Power of 6 degrees of Seperation".

I use to watch the science channel quite often. I caught this film and had it saved on my DVR for years until I moved. It's such a great program because it takes you on a journey of thought. The first thought is the beginning of network science. How do schools of fish swim in complete unison, how do different breeds of crickets chirp at the exact moment to share information? Anyways it's a wild ride through the Internet, how every human is (on average), 6 handshakes from every other human on earth. Really just well thought out production. I have only found it on amazon, sold in Austrailia, titled "the Kevin Bacon theory". I could ramble on for a while about this one.

Second; "The Rape of Europa". You can find it on Netflix or iTunes. Amazing film about European culture, art, history, landmarks, and how Nazi Germany seeked to collect most of these items, how the allies tried to persevere what they could during wartime, and how some very dedicated individuals saved masterpieces from compete annihilation. I feel like "Momentments Men" was hollywood's response to this interesting documentary.

Has anyone seen these? Your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/7/2014 at 5:02 AM, John Rich said:

There's no reason to feel guilty about liking something.  Enjoy it.  Who cares what other people think of what you like.  It's none of their business.  Like what you like, and don't let peer pressure make you believe you shouldn't.  Don't be guilty, be happy.

That is too true. Too many of us are not living our fullest lives because we are too worried about what other people are going to think about our choices and so we let go of what we really want in favor of what society says is good for us. So sad...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...