Chi-Char-Hou-Dal

3015 Bagby St. - More Midtown Infill

http://swamplot.com/a-substandard-structure-to-become-sterling-house-bar-in-midtown/2013-08-26/

VIA SWAMPLOT

WOW

This wobbly 108-year-old house in Midtown, remodeled in 1999, might be fixed up one more time and converted into a bar. Or it might be demolished to make room for something new, says the reader who sends this photo and word of a recently secured TABC license for the so-called Sterling House here at 3015 Bagby St., just 1 block north of Elgin. The 1905 2,850-sq.-ft. house, sitting on a 4,918-sq.-ft. lot at the corner of Bagby and Rosalie, changed hands back in 2009, but it appears to have been waiting around for something to happen since then.

• Like 1

http://swamplot.com/a-substandard-structure-to-become-sterling-house-bar-in-midtown/2013-08-26/

VIA SWAMPLOT

WOW

says the reader who sends this photo and word of a recently secured TABC license for the so-called Sterling House here at 3015 Bagby St.,

I posted on  swamplot--- there are  apparently a lot of Sterling houses --relatives get named after relatives--similar names and different houses etc--

I might have posted before that Avondale Civic has a Historic walking tour that tells a lot about Avondale homes and their owners-- some of the information comes from local residents who have lived in Avondale since the 60's or so. That information (garnered from the owner of Sterling house)  indicates the house was moved from the corner of Westheimer and Bagby where the strip shopping center is now. This Sterling house was apparently lived in by Helen Sterling a daughter in law.

Would love some details might ride my bike to Ty and talk to construction team - appears they are not knocking it down rather regabing the 100+ year old building

Spoke with neighbor who said during demo - building is rotting away and full of termites - rumor is demo halted and bulldozers are coming in to demolish the crumbling house. At least they tried to save it - honestly it's a small lot so I am curious of how the bar will look and parking?

Sterling House bar is going to be a low key beer bar - with large patio and grass yard. No food, but definitely not a club.

Owned by same guys that opened the new OTC bar. Spoke with the owner and I think it will fit well in the neighborhood.

Construction has picked up a lot lately and they should be open late Spring/Summer 14

Work has picked up.

Pic

So they arent tearing it down... they are just rebuilding it! cool deal

I wondered over the idea to "not have food" didn't really work well for Boheme till the food trucks came on scene. Still wondering a bit  a bit over parking--I notice OTC is doing that double decker parking-- hard to know how many spaces they will be required to provide.

Looks like my intel was wrong - new owner of OTC midtown unsure if this was in the sale of OTC

Can be anything you want it to be...

hmmmmmmmmmmm sort of--

apparently it can't be a bar,anymore-

Avondale (not within Avondale area but has peaked interest of a few residents) heard from the Mayors Citizens Assistance Office after inquiries were made over parking availability--

". . . it (3015 Bagby) was rejected as a bar not enough parking, but will be residential. . . . . Anything north of McGowan is exempt from parking requirements because they are considred downtown, and the OTC, the one that has the lifts on Baby is out of compliance since they have added more building."

so what will it be?

Edited by trymahjong

I posted on  swamplot--- there are  apparently a lot of Sterling houses --relatives get named after relatives--similar names and different houses etc--

I might have posted before that Avondale Civic has a Historic walking tour that tells a lot about Avondale homes and their owners-- some of the information comes from local residents who have lived in Avondale since the 60's or so. That information (garnered from the owner of Sterling house)  indicates the house was moved from the corner of Westheimer and Bagby where the strip shopping center is now. This Sterling house was apparently lived in by Helen Sterling a daughter in law.

I found this old drawing from a sales brochure about Avondale-- it's the 100 block of Hathaway--later renamed Westheimer Road. It looks like it shows the Sterling House.

post-6399-0-61956600-1396412613_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AS I was searching for the brochure  above, I found another actual photograph that was used during the campaign to get Avondale East designated as a Historic district in 1998. It shows the Sterling house on the corner before it was moved (It is labeled Westheimer at Baldwin--so perhaps Baldwin came all the way to Westheimer then) and the old house at 116 Westheimer that is still there---you can just see the edge of the "M" statue.

post-6399-0-91512200-1396560879_thumb.jp

Here's a CultureMap article from September with more info on the progress:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-18-15-landlord-seeks-ambitious-restaurateur-to-give-life-to-historic-midtown-home-1/

Anything new on this? All the signs are down ad the property is looking much nicer. New rebar is down for a new driveway. Also the broker took down the listing

http://www.watermansteele.com/#!midtown-restaurant-3015-bagby/c4zs

Fence is going up - working all hours of day and night - seems to be close to opening. 2 different rumors from neighbors nextdoor - one said all night club - other wine bar. Neither sure - said both rumors came from workers.

Anyone know anything TABC license?

I was looking around and found this:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-18-15-landlord-seeks-ambitious-restaurateur-to-give-life-to-historic-midtown-home-1/

I have doubts about any restaurant or bar getting enough parking ( the new Montrose Management Parking district doesn't extend that far)   to secure a liquor license though.......

the rumor around Avondale is that it will probably end up as a Real Estate office-

I doubt it will be a realtors office. Harris County public records show they have an agreement for parking spots behind the old SS office. Hopefully it will be a wine bar.

• Like 1

Spoke with owner - getting close to opening - will be called Sterling House - neighborhood bar & grill - said St. Dane's was bought out by stripcetner next door. Entire plaza with maple leaf will be re done.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2016 at 3:48 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Spoke with owner - getting close to opening - will be called Sterling House - neighborhood bar & grill - said St. Dane's was bought out by stripcetner next door. Entire plaza with maple leaf will be re done.

Any clues as to how it will be redone? 

Chi-Char-Hou-Dal, any chance you could give me contact info for the owner?? They just installed a very bright light directly outside of my apartment window...

Also, as a neighbor I hope this place is fun but not too fun :P

Edited by dinoswilldie13

Hey - his name is Amir and he's there about all day and night recently - white suv - should be easy to spot this week as it seems they are really getting close to opening. 

For or what it's worth he said a lot of things that impressed me about fitting in the neighborhood and how he isn't trying to force his vision on the place rather let the hood dictate what kind of place it becomes.

Best.

I had hoped that the Historic pictures of Ross Sterling might be offered to Historic Avondale since not only did Ross Sterling, but also his son and grandson lived within Avondale at one time.

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I knew it was a matter of time when their clientele went from white people to black people. When a nice club or bar opens downtown, Midtown, on Washington Ave, almost anywhere inside the loop in majority white neighborhoods, the crowds those places cater to are white people or almost white looking people. Once the place looses its luster with the preferred target audience, then the black crowds are used a temporary lifesaver before the club or bar eventually closes. It's an awful cycle.

Ummmm... I really appreciate your contributions, but this paragraph needs to be removed. I'm really shocked that you think nice bars/clubs prefer "white or white-looking" customers and that black customers are the last lifeline for struggling businesses. Just wow.

5 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes. Sterling House, 3015 Bagby in Midtown Houston closed.

I knew it was a matter of time when their clientele went from white people to black people. When a nice club or bar opens downtown, Midtown, on Washington Ave, almost anywhere inside the loop in majority white neighborhoods, the crowds those places cater to are white people or almost white looking people. Once the place looses its luster with the preferred target audience, then the black crowds are used a temporary lifesaver before the club or bar eventually closes. It's an awful cycle.

...I think you need to revisit this train of thought. Come on. By this notion Cle and Proof are going south really quick, as well as a few bars/clubs I've been too in Montrose. Hell we should go downtown to a bunch of bars as well. Your argument is also based on the superficial notion that the clienteles skin color makes or breaks a business. I'm not going to call you names or any bs accusations like that, and I'm going to grant you that this was just simply not thought through all the way. I'm telling you that its not that superficial nor that simple. The data won't add up, and the competition for dollars in all of these markets won't add up. This business failed because it didn't understand the area it was in or themselves, and we can't lay this at the feet of any particular clientele. The customer, whether rich or poor, black or white (they could be pokadot i don't care) chooses whether a business is successful or not with their dollars.

EDIT: Basically I'm not here to claim you are either a bigot or racist, because I don't know you as a person, I'm here to tell you that you are lazy. You can do better than this.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Ummmm... I really appreciate your contributions, but this paragraph needs to be removed. I'm really shocked that you think nice bars/clubs prefer "white or white-looking" customers and that black customers are the last lifeline for struggling businesses. Just wow.

Wow, yeah. That was absolutely unacceptable. 

Oh, ok. I for one completely misunderstood the point you were trying to make. You are absolutely correct that a number of club promoters/owners, particularly in parts of Midtown, Washington, and, previously, Downtown, explicitly want white people and would turn away anyone who didn't meet their skin tone requirements.

I do think it's a specific group that behave that way though. I have no idea whether that includes the Sterling House people. 

Anyway, I read your post *very* differently than this explanation. Thanks for the in-depth response to everyone.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

No. I'm not apologizing and I'm not wrong. 

It is a fact in Houston that clubs and bars in the affluent white neighborhoods, Washington Ave, Downtown, Midtown, and wherever else people go these days are targeted to the white crowds. The club owners want white people in their clubs over blacks and maybe, sometimes non-black Latinos, but blacks for sure.

These places institute dress codes that are only applied to blacks as a way of excluding them from entry into the bar or club.  Black people are told the bar or club is at capacity or it's closed for a private event, or anything but the truth as a means of denying entry to them. 

And yes, those kind of clubs in those neighborhoods want white people or people who look close to white in their clubs. I used to hit the club scene hard in the late 90's and 2000's. I have seen this first hand. The clubs on Richmond Ave, were almost all for white people in the late 90's 2000's until the club scene moved downtown. In the early 2000's there the downtown clubs like Cotton Exchange, M-Bar, Suede and others, the crowds were white. Maybe there were a few blacks and Latinos, but it was majority white. When the downtown club scene began dying after the Houston hosted Super Bowl, those clubs turned to the black club promoters to host nights to bring in the crowds, that were majority black to help keep them afloat. Then once the crowds hopped on the new club train, the clubs and bars closed.

I know party promoters who hosted parties that drew in the black crowds in the early and mid 2000's that were big on the website InDmix. All of them had the same stories. They wanted to host parties at the new clubs filled with white people, but were denied. Or they'd tried to go with a group of black people and were denied, but not when they had their black NFL or NBA friend in the group.  All of them also told stories how when those clubs and bars once filled with white people, and most known for discriminating against black people burned out, those clubs and bars turned to the black promoters to help fill their clubs up, all but begging them. The promoters would do it and those places were hotter than when it first opened. 

There are other accounts of this from people from back then and even now. Look on Yelp. With the rise in social media, local news picked up stories about this: Kung Fu Bar, Gaslamp now 360 Midtown, Oakmont, St. Genevive that was in West Ave, Roosevelt that was on Washington, and lots of clubs and bars that were on Washington (some still) and in Midtown. Light was being shined on what had been happening for years, like how for decades black people have told their accounts of being mistreated or harmed by police or wrongly accused of something by the police and many times it was dismissed until social media and camera phones came on the scene that proved those kind of stories true.

Both of you may want to turn a blind eye to this, but I have also seen this first hand more than once. I have been out with my black friends and two or maybe all of them weren't allowed in. They were given BS reason when I and my other other non-black friends didn't have any hassle at the door. It's wrong. It happens. It happens in Houston and it happens in other cities in this country. 

Have a black friend who goes out or did when those clubs were open in the early to late 2000's? Know someone who is black and is a party promoter? Ask them about this and they'll back up what I'm saying, what many blacks have experienced, and what black party promoters have dealt with.

Interesting how you come across as so passionate in this reply yet in your original response you seem to have resigned yourself to the thought that again a business isn't going to fair as well because it has whites or blacks. Not only is that lazy, but it seems as if you have curled up in the fetus position and just given up. I'm not going to deny that these things do take place nor belittle the true experiences that you have had....but I didn't ask for a pity story nor did I ask for your victim card. I asked if you could back up the silly and superficial argument (with statistical evidence) that businesses fail depending on skin color which is just patently false. Everyone comes across narrow minded people of all stripes and colors at some point in there life and it is your responsibility to stand up for yourself, and not walk away from it. I had the same kind of things happen to me while in Germany where Germans would treat me a certain either positive or negative simply because I was American that I didn't ask for. Particularly when trying to learn the language. People would just assume, oh he is american I'll just start speaking english, and it sucked. I had situations where my Indian, Iranian, and Pakistani friends in school would be denied at clubs because they were different. At the end of the day though, while its easy to interpret things as superficial as skin color to be the reason of things. The bottom line is that deeper than that, people tend to be lazy, and choose to side with what they have always done or always seen, and refuse things that are different for whatever reason. Skin color just happens to be a very immediate reaction that people get. It would be dumb of me in Germany to just blanketly demand Germans (who are the majority there) to accept me an American as a minority. I have to prove that I belong by being forthright and confident and place myself at the table.

To the topic at hand, its not because its white vs black but because a business has a more likely of failing if it decides to carter to a majority or minority. You make less money if you cater to a minority group than a majority group (I'm speaking of this quantitatively as in numbers not "political status"). I'm talking exclusively so, and whatever that majority minority is. It would be the same if a business was in a mostly latino majority community yet only catered to white people exclusively. They would be morons for refusing business to the majority. A business should cater to as many people as possible both majority and minority to succeed. If they refuse people due to something as superficial as skin color then that is stupid and a dumb business decision (ignoring the morality case or classical liberal argument for this and simply looking at it from a selfish business perspective).

Again. Its not as simple as you portray and simply basing everything in your world view on just your experience alone and nobody else, whether by other physical human beings or literature, will cloud your judgement on this. Its more than you think, and I'm going to call you out on it.

Edited by Luminare

What @CrockpotandGravel isn’t a secret in the bar and club bizz. It’s a reality that that you don’t have to look hard to realize. I think some may have misinterpreted his point and intentions. 

Hmmmmm I Cant speak for all places but this particular place is one I could walk to. I walked to it more than a few times. It seemed fairly diverse customers were there. 

IMO I think if if there were bumps for this place it might have more to do with wonky parking situation and price of drinks & food.

• Like 1

The management was very supportive of Avondale Civi+, hosted a NationalNight Out once provided free food and discounted drinks. I always wanted to help pay that back by going back a few times. But close to this place are at least a half dozen bars that seem lively “neighborhood joints” with cheaper drinks and better food at a cheaper price. This place no matter how well intended didn’t give off that vibe. There seemed to be diversity in clients but never a whole lot of them.

That response was wildly inappropriate, unprofessional and downright bizarre. 

But...

Your message was basically telling him he was running his business wrong and that "people are confused." Based on how defensive his response was, there might not actually *be* a good answer to this, but I wonder if you wouldn't have gotten a better reaction phrasing the post differently, like:

I'm still a little confused - is Taste essentially the tenant at Sterling House going forward, or is it more like a short-term pop-up? Is the plan to have more than one tenant in the building - something like Taste on the ground floor and a bar on the second floor? Sorry about all the questions. I'm really excited to see this house maintained and turned into a great new asset to the community; I just want to make sure I understand what I'm talking about when I talk it up to people.

I think the "people are confused" thing in particular is what stuck out to me. Even if it's true, that takes the conversation away from two guys talking and makes it into something that could be interpreted as much more aggressive or accusatory, especially to someone as incredibly defensive as this guy apparently is.

• Like 5

place is bumping every weekend, may just have the secret sauce and some staying power. Line 30-40 deep to get in on Sat, Sunday brunch. Living across the street besides the valet and cars have no issue with this place. Just need to find a downtime (during the week) to check out the food!

When WF opens up I see a lot of the empty lots around , late night pie and across the street, Bunch CO block ect filling in fast.

• Like 1

This one of those places that would benefit from market based parking. But the neighborhood parking problems would increase.

• Like 1