Sign in to follow this  
bruce_oneal

Odd Chirping Sounds At Night (not Crickets?)

has anyone else been hearing these weird chirping sounds at night? i thought it was birds or something as it kinda sounds like a fire detector that has a low battery. but the sounds come from one tree to the next (and sometimes from the sky).

i was also thinking bats?

i know what crickets sounds like --or at least i thought i did.

been hearing it in westchase, but also was downtown last night and heard the sounds there too ... i have not seen any evidence of birds making the sounds.

It's the chronic talking to you.

I've seen bats in Midtown. But they are quiet.

If you slighty snap your fingers they will trail towards you. I did this once in Big Bend and had 100s fly at me up the bank of the Rio Grande.

Very cool.

never touch the stuff.

not sure i want to snap my fingers and have hundreds of bats fly towards me ... i am sure i would need the chronic after that experience though. lol

but seriously, it is kinda spooky --these sounds, because like i said, it does not sound like crickets and birds are not usually up all night.

They are birds!

I know exactly what you are talking because it drove me crazy (yeah, like that

They won't hit you.

Reminds me of a home improvment call I heard once...

Caller: What can I do about squirrels in my attic at night?

Tom: You say they are at night?

Caller: Yes

Tom: Well squirrels sleep at night. Sounds like you have rats.

Caller: Argh

Could they be cicadas? I know I can hear some bats at night. Or they could be some form of alien.

i'm thinking birds too ... just that i NEVER see them. they must be small and fast flying.

although i love coast to coast am at night, and gov't conspiracy theories, alien encounters and abduction like the best of 'em, it just must be my bad eyesight and their fast movements.

maybe that IS what i am hearing.  since i never see them though...

are they native to this area or migratory?

Go check out that site. It tells you.

[Obligatory Quote] Are you suggesting coconuts migrate? [/Obligatory Quote]

Chickadees are very approachable in that, once they get used to you, they will get to where they will eat out of your hand.

Of course, if they are the ones you are hearing, they may just drive you out of your mind - uh, that is if it's not too late for that!

the weird part is that i seem to be the only one hearing them.

i found it strange that i heard them in westchase and also downtown. it's like this sound is all over houston.

in the trees?

well, there it was mountainous and the terrain was so varied you couldn't always tell where its coming from. there were just random peeps and you never really figure it out and its horribly annoying. we lived near a national park and it was really dense.

hmm, i guess it was a silly reply as its totally flat and i haven't seen a frog since i've been here -- sorry -- !

I tell you what frightened me the most is that the A/C unit was just outside the window where I heard the chirping, and I was afraid the A/C was about to carp out on me!

I hear that on my patio from time to time, and there are no birds in sight. It's little green tree frogs (not the common toads) They hide in the leaves and they are very hard to spot.

Marty

There are plenty of toads and frogs and birds making noise at night.

Have you tried using a shotgun? Maybe a few blasts in random directions would hit the intended target...Just a suggestion (not necessarily a good one).

i hear chirping at night in the woodlands as well. it makes me think that sun is about to come up and it turns out to be 3AM, then the dog wants to go out. darn forest creatures.

actually, my first thought was an AC fan motor. a guy i work with says that some frogs chirp.

I have been hearing this one chirping sound in Sugar Land. I was joking with a coworker saying, "I bet all the other birds are telling him to shut up and go to bed!" and this was EAAAAAAAAARLY in the morning! Its just one bird (or whatever) chirping...continously. I was thinking the bird had insomnia! LOL!

They're Common Nighthawks - small, swift birds with swept-back wings. You can sometimes spot them at dusk and dawn. They make a small 'cheep' sound that seems to come from nowhere and everywhere. Because they're swift!

You'll also sometimes hear a solitary bird singing in a tree at night, usually in a well-lit area. I've read in the Chronicle that these are young male mockingbirds who are seeking to establish their own territory. Seems artificial lighting has changed their natural habits.

It COULD be a nighthawk, but it could also be that:

1. A hell of a lot of frogs are invading the United States, must be some sort of terrorist plot, who knows.

-OR-

2. Aliens are scouting a couple of you to take back to their space ship, they talk to me quite often. Muaha.

What I saw and heard in Bastrop was definately not a nighthawk. Nighthawks are much larger.

Maybe it was a chirpmonk?

so now there are about 5 theories:

1. aliens --interesting but not probably --at least not in my 'hood

2. frogs (in trees no less)

3. chickadees

4. bats

5. nighthawks

lol

i was really serious when i wrote the post this a.m., but this is getting comical.

lol

Tree frogs, perhaps.

They may be some sort of cricket species/any kin of the cricket type.

Random Fact: Cockroaches are closely related to crickets :P

They're Common Nighthawks - small, swift birds with swept-back wings. You can sometimes spot them at dusk and dawn. They make a small 'cheep' sound that seems to come from nowhere and everywhere. Because they're swift!

You'll also sometimes hear a solitary bird singing in a tree at night, usually in a well-lit area. I've read in the Chronicle that these are young male mockingbirds who are seeking to establish their own territory. Seems artificial lighting has changed their natural habits.

So they chirp at 4 AM?

Tree frogs, perhaps.

They may be some sort of cricket species/any kin of the cricket type.

Random Fact: Cockroaches are closely related to crickets :P

Interesting fact. Cockroaches must be the beyond ugly duckling.

Another random fact: Cockroaches are close to my feet, when I smash them, but they aren't related to my feet!

Guest danax

I agree with dbigtex on the nighthawk possibility.However, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Mediterranean Gecko, although I don't think the sound would be coming from trees. They are imports but are very common in Houston and the males chirp to defend their territory.

Are they the ones whose chirping grows louder and more persistent until they drive you to buy insurance?

So they chirp at 4 AM?

Promptly at 4 AM. Four times.

Oh wait...that's cuckoos.

Speaking of chickadees, anyone remember this lyric?

Hey, I'm Kate and I am a Taurus

I love tomatoes and black-capped

Chickadees

I first heard these over at a friend's house in Clear Lake City about 4 years ago.

They told me they were frogs and were a type that had not been in this area before. Sorry, I cant remember the type of frog but we searched through the bushes till we found some of them.

I said we didnt have them in League City and they told me not to worry, I will...

This year they have hit our area. At night they can be heard outside. It sounds like maybe a few of them for now but there will surely be more to come.

They do sound like a small bird or a smoke alarm low battery sound but they are actually small frogs.

I was restless last night and couldn't sleep, so I sat in the living room watching TV. I heard the chirping the entire time I was awake. I am convinced now that these are not birds. However, every time I opened the back door, the chirping stopped, so I could not find the source.

Little green tree frogs, in your outdoor plants. I got lucky today and saw one on my window, between the screen and the glass.

Marty

image0379ur.jpg

image0365kb.jpg

Bruce--Just got into Austin on a late flight, and have been so perplexed by the recent odd chirping in the bushes and trees around my yard I did a quick google search and came up with your post. I registered just to respond....what's going on here in Texas? I thought bizarre birds at first, but I'm not sure. When I came home tonight, I heard them in the front yard too (not just by my bedroom window, where for a week or two they've been keeping me up at night).

If you learn anything about the source of the new Texas Chirpers, please let me know!

Thanks,

Chris

has anyone else been hearing these weird chirping sounds at night?  i thought it was birds or something as it kinda sounds like a fire detector that has a low battery.  but the sounds come from one tree to the next (and sometimes from the sky).

i was also thinking bats?

i know what crickets sounds like --or at least i thought i did.

been hearing it in westchase, but also was downtown last night and heard the sounds there too ...  i have not seen any evidence of birds making the sounds.

well, so far, we are SURE it's either:

1. some sort of tree frogs

2. chickadees (spelling?)

3. alien life

i think i am leaning towards #3 since i SEE NO SIGN of the first two in my neighborhood.

Hi,

Just another person who found this thread researching the sound. At any rate, my theory is Pseudacris streckeri or Pseudacris crucifer. I think it is the crucifer or spring peeper since the call sounds almost identical, but the streckeri sounds close too. You can listen to some frog calls here.

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/....streckeri.html

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/...s.crucifer.html

I may try and find one later and settle this :)

Marcos

ok, i will admit that these sounds do sound eerily similar. the thing is that they tend to come from the trees AND the air --could just be acoustics and bad lighting though.