Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

I've seen this bar/club mentioned on this site, in the "Montrose" section.

Lynn Hornaday was one of the owners of the bar, and I worked with Lynn at a downtown stockbrokerage house, during the period when she and Marion were getting the bar up and running.

I moved to Australia early 80's and had lost contact with Lynn long before that.

Does anyone know Lynn's whereabouts? Is she still in Houston? She was from South Texas originally, if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks!

Mick

I've seen this bar/club mentioned on this site, in the "Montrose" section.

Lynn Hornaday was one of the owners of the bar, and I worked with Lynn at a downtown stockbrokerage house, during the period when she and Marion were getting the bar up and running.

I moved to Australia early 80's and had lost contact with Lynn long before that.

Does anyone know Lynn's whereabouts? Is she still in Houston? She was from South Texas originally, if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks!

Mick

I lost track of everyone right after Marion was killed. Very sweet people.

• 7 months later...
I heard about that, but can't play the video in the story. Does it say what restaurants have been hit? From the small map, it looks like a much broader area than what I'd call Lower Westheimer.

some of the people were out on the restaurant patios when they were robbed. it didn't mention any specific restaurants so customers wouldn't be scared off most likely.

Edited by musicman

First off, let me just say that KTRH and some of the other news sites' new formats really annoy me. I much rather read the news and see the video, I'd like an option.

Secondly, from what I can see it looks like they hit a number of places On west gray (One's a meal, Barnaby's maybe?). On the other end they seem to have hit the Wendy's, the other SEEMS like it might be the Brown Bag.

As far as the others in "Lower Westheimer" seem like they possibly hit including (from what I can surmise) is Niko Niko's, Ming's, or another I can't think of.

It's definitely a lousy map.

I saw some Guardian Angels walking around 19th st in the Heights a couple of weeks ago with their red berets on. Of course they didn't exactly look like the toughest or sanest people themselves so it didn't' make me feel any safer, but it did give me a laugh to see how seriously they were taking themselves. Seems likes those kinds of groups always attracted the most "interesting" characters.

I saw some Guardian Angels walking around 19th st in the Heights a couple of weeks ago with their red berets on. Of course they didn't exactly look like the toughest or sanest people themselves so it didn't' make me feel any safer, but it did give me a laugh to see how seriously they were taking themselves. Seems likes those kinds of groups always attracted the most "interesting" characters.

That it certainly did!. Background checks were hardly suggested.

• 5 months later...

My dad was the piano player there on Thursday nights. (Joe Nettles). He'd been there for about 15-18 years along with one of the bartenders and a few more. He still plays parties and has an after school music program that he teaches, but he's mostly retired. It's kinda sad because it was a nice place. He'd played other places around town like Brennans (right after I was born), and Vargos, etc.. but he'd been at the Bistro the longest.

In '87, he had an album out and also did some soundtrack work for a movie. I recall him starting the Bistro gig shortly after that.

It closed two weeks ago. He said that the owner said that business was slow and had been for a while.....in addition to the high taxes.

My dad always has his eye on the future and loves to stay busy. ....nevertheless, the Bistro will be missed by a lot of folks.

Edited by Anjie0301

This establishment was a memorable first date. I remember they had a jazz singer who played the piano. Her voice was angelic and I ordered duck salad and ravioli. That was 8 years ago and I am surpised that I haven't been there since then. What was I thinking? I will miss this charming bistro.

We've had the various date-night dinner there, as well as the occasional professional organization Christmas party there.. We'd make it about once a year for a treat..

Wonder if there is interest in opening in a different location? (Heights maybe? :) )

Nancy is back from vacay:

More details have surfaced about the sale of Bistro Vino at 819 W. Alabama.

Last week's story said a residential developer bought the Montrose-area eatery and an adjacent parcel from its longtime owner who sold because the taxes had gotten too high.

Group LSR, which develops condominium buildings here under the InnerLoopCondos.com brand, purchased the site.

Developer Ben Lemieux said the company isn't likely to make a decision on what to develop there until next spring.

"The condo market is challenging right now," he said, referring to the ability for buyers to get financing. "But there's still a lot of people who want to live in condos and want this as a lifestyle."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5896453.html

Group LSR: http://www.lsrmanagement.com/main.html

Edited by lockmat

• 3 weeks later...

Dean's Credit Clothing has begun preparing to move into the new constructed building on Fairview and Morgan---meeting with local civic asso and contracting for additional parking at the cotton exchange--but i was wondering with ziggy's and boheme so close --meteror to the east---baby barnaby's and the country bar to the west----can this little neighborhood support another bar?

Dean's Credit Clothing has begun preparing to move into the new constructed building on Fairview and Morgan---meeting with local civic asso and contracting for additional parking at the cotton exchange--but i was wondering with ziggy's and boheme so close --meteror to the east---baby barnaby's and the country bar to the west----can this little neighborhood support another bar?

Are they closing their current location, or will this be Dean's II?

Parking seems to be a limiting factor. A few years ago, Montrose had a younger, poorer, more adventurous population. Many people didn't have cars, and bars could do a decent business with a (literal) walk-in trade. Things have changed - just look at the area surrounding the Pacific Street strip. Several buildings have been razed to provide parking for out-of-neighborhood patrons. People who want The Montrose Experience are more likely to commute these days, and the bars have had to provide parking to accomodate them.

Parking at the Cotton Exchange? The Cotton Exchange I'm familiar with is at least a couple miles from Fairview and Morgan, in downtown Houston.

The proximity of other bars shouldn't be a problem. They're not in direct competition. You won't find many Ripcord people at Meteor, or vice-versa.

I imagine the neighborhood associations will be taking a long, hard look. There has been an influx of people who want the glamour of 'the bohemian neighborhood', but without, you know, those darn bohemians.

Are they closing their current location, or will this be Dean's II?

Parking seems to be a limiting factor. A few years ago, Montrose had a younger, poorer, more adventurous population. Many people didn't have cars, and bars could do a decent business with a (literal) walk-in trade. Things have changed - just look at the area surrounding the Pacific Street strip. Several buildings have been razed to provide parking for out-of-neighborhood patrons. People who want The Montrose Experience are more likely to commute these days, and the bars have had to provide parking to accomodate them.

Parking at the Cotton Exchange? The Cotton Exchange I'm familiar with is at least a couple miles from Fairview and Morgan, in downtown Houston.

The proximity of other bars shouldn't be a problem. They're not in direct competition. You won't find many Ripcord people at Meteor, or vice-versa.

I imagine the neighborhood associations will be taking a long, hard look. There has been an influx of people who want the glamour of 'the bohemian neighborhood', but without, you know, those darn bohemians.

this is supposed to be a second location for Dean's--and the cotton exchange is that old old building across the street that repairs extra long trucks---Dean's will only use that parking lot after the business closes--but one of the worries is that lots of times tow trucks will just leave those disabled trucks in the parking lot at night---

There has been an influx of people who want the glamour of 'the bohemian neighborhood', but without, you know, those darn bohemians.

Don't be so oppressive toward the newcomers.

Shouldn't a man be free to live in a turreted Bexar-meets-Bordeaux ranch chateau among an "ecclectic" mix of shops and restaurants without the constant sight of what Homer Simpson called "lousy beatniks?"