HAIF - Houston's original social media

old car dealerships

Anyone have any old photos of Frizell's Pontiac at Gulfgate?

Here's one from the internet. I apologize for it being so small and blurry. I'm pretty sure the tan car in the foreground is a 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix.

The red Chevrolet Blazer with the white top must be a 1973 model or later as well. Notice that Frizzell is also an AMC dealership at this time.

"3040 Woodridge, next to Gulfgate; where you get a whale of a deal." Mascot was a cartoon whale.

post-7441-0-27089700-1438741349_thumb.jp

Edited by Specwriter

My Mom bought a new '65 Chevy Impala station wagon at A.J.Foyt Chevrolet on Post Oak between W.Belfort and Willowbend where I met AJ himself on the sales floor that day. We used to ride our bikes up to the back and watch them work on some of their race cars, mainly dirt and stock cars.  We moved to Austin later that year and I drove it off the Mansfield Dam late one night after partying in the park. I've got some pictures if I can find them. 

• Like 1

I worked at several in this list but I would like to see an Al Parker Buick photo early 70s .  The old location is now a new structure and the street that once ran down the side of the building was closed and added as one property for this new business.  The old customer and storage lot was across the street in 70 which is now part of this one property

My Mom bought a new '65 Chevy Impala station wagon at A.J.Foyt Chevrolet on Post Oak between W.Belfort and Willowbend where I met AJ himself on the sales floor that day. We used to ride our bikes up to the back and watch them work on some of their race cars, mainly dirt and stock cars.  We moved to Austin later that year and I drove it off the Mansfield Dam late one night after partying in the park. I've got some pictures if I can find them. 

The Foyts are still in the car business. One of A.J.'s sons is currently the General Manager of Mercedes-Benz of Clear Lake.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information about Harry Shanks Chevrolet? Found a commercial of theirs on a mid 80's tape. One of the cheaper and more desperate ones out there - basically came off as "we're spending money to just become competitive!". This dealership was located at Hwy 6 & Beechnut,  later becoming Mike Hall Chevrolet and is now part of the Autonation group.

• 1 month later...

Ok, hang on... When did Lawrence Marshall close and Landmark change names??? Does that mean Ray Childress is unemployed now? Is Mel Farr Ford still around? Also, what is the name of the Ford dealer on 59 that is or was just inside the North Loop?

Lawrence Marshall closed in 2009 http://www.chron.com/business/article/Vast-Lawrence-Marshall-auto-dealership-closes-1584646.php

Landmark closed in 2008. It didn't change names. The location on the North Freeway has been a blight ever since. http://abc13.com/archive/6378220/

Landmark closed in 2008. It didn't change names. The location on the North Freeway has been a blight ever since. http://abc13.com/archive/6378220/

I'll assume you haven't been by there in quite some time. The old Landmark complex was acquired in January 2011 by a John Deere dealer who relocated their heavy equipment dealership there after demolishing the old buildings and building new ones. I believe they subdivided the property with the intent to resell some of it, as the new dealership buildings don't take up nearly as much room as the massive Landmark complex did. 

The new dealership just opened recently. 

https://goo.gl/maps/hUbwZRTih7v

Was'nt it called Snelling Mercury at one time. I seem to remember a cougar image on their logos.

Would you be thinking it might have been Plaza Lincoln Mercury.  I worked there in 72 and Joe Woods was the service manager at that time.

I'll assume you haven't been by there in quite some time. The old Landmark complex was acquired in January 2011 by a John Deere dealer who relocated their heavy equipment dealership there after demolishing the old buildings and building new ones. I believe they subdivided the property with the intent to resell some of it, as the new dealership buildings don't take up nearly as much room as the massive Landmark complex did. 

The new dealership just opened recently. 

https://goo.gl/maps/hUbwZRTih7v

My last dealership job was in 89 and there at Landmark, I had worked there 3 times since the early 70s until that time.  I left the first workday after Thanksgiving 1989 and it was the last dealership I worked in, came back to where I live now and never will forget it, one of those fall cold rain fronts got hooked up with me and I drove in a driving rain all the way to Louisiana.

There was an Okay car dealership on the Gulf Freeway (maybe across from Gulfgate?) forever!  But no more. A boy I knew asked me out on a date in about 1967. He picked me up and drove me to Okay Cars, saying that he hadn't budgeted well enough for a movie or a burger, so he just took me to stare at the cars.  He had a great time! I didn't, much.  I married somebody else.  Twenty-five years later we went to Bonnie's Beef and Seafood on the Gulf Freeway and  I looked over and saw the little "Okay" flags flapping. It still looked the same. But it's not there any more.

I think you're referring to the old Bob Robertson Chevrolet which was located at the outbound side of the Gulf Freeway @ Wayside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 8:40 PM, MirrersTrucking said:

Ok, hang on... When did Lawrence Marshall close and Landmark change names??? Does that mean Ray Childress is unemployed now? Is Mel Farr Ford still around? Also, what is the name of the Ford dealer on 59 that is or was just inside the North Loop?

The Ford dealership just inside the North Loop was a Bayou City Ford. It was a Big Ford truck dealership.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All I remember about auto dealerships growing up in the sixties is --- the HUGE Rocket neon sign on Gulf Freeway near Gulfgate (outbound), the auto import place with small cars and round glass showroom, on the Gulf Freeway (inbound, close to Prince's & Finger's) and the mcm auto showrooms on S. Richey (Pasadena).

6 hours ago, NenaE said:

All I remember about auto dealerships growing up in the sixties is --- the HUGE Rocket neon sign on Gulf Freeway near Gulfgate (outbound), the auto import place with small cars and round glass showroom, on the Gulf Freeway (inbound, close to Prince's & Finger's) and the mcm auto showrooms on S. Richey (Pasadena).

Bill McDavid Oldsmobile and Autosports Ltd. (Fiat, Alfa Romeo, TVR, and possibly others) on the Gulf Freeway. The showroom on South Richey was Timmers Chevrolet. Before Timmers it was Boyd Mullen Chevrolet. Here is the dealer name plate on a 1967 Chevelle seen recently at a car show.

Boyd Mullen.PNG

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

My father was a used car dealer in the 1950's. Washington Avenue was "Used Car Dealer Row". His car lot was called "Mistrot Brothers". It was located about in the middle of Washington Ave. As a kid I remember all of the rows and rows of clear incandescent light bulbs hanging over the cars. Cars so brightly polished that the light bulbs reflected on them. Also, brightly colored pinnet flags waving overhead to attract customers. All of the cars had the price painted on the windshield. At the dinner table, Daddy always talked cars and about the other car dealers of the time. I think my father was once president of " The Greater Houston Car Dealers Association" And somewhere in all of my memorabilia, I have something listing him as such. I added his picture from the 1950's.

262499DB-CB0F-43FA-8C7B-EE07BC20D480.jpeg

• Like 1

For some reason, I've had the Chick Smith jingle in my head - "Chick Smith Ford, a little bit North of FM 1960, right next door to the Goodyear Blimp Base".

In the 1910's, my great grandfather worked at a car dealer in the 1900 block of Main, I think it was an Overland dealer. Later, it added Willys. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 12:18 PM, ggmsmolly said:

There was the old Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile dealership on Gessner at 59.

I believe you're getting your Sam's mixed up, the dealership at Gessner and 59 (actually the main showroom was on Beechnut ) was Sam White Olds.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 9/13/2015 at 11:00 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Does anyone have any information about Harry Shanks Chevrolet? Found a commercial of theirs on a mid 80's tape. One of the cheaper and more desperate ones out there - basically came off as "we're spending money to just become competitive!". This dealership was located at Hwy 6 & Beechnut,  later becoming Mike Hall Chevrolet and is now part of the Autonation group.

Now Classic Chevrolet.