HAIF - Houston's original social media

On 1/18/2006 at 1:20 PM, Ashikaga said:

Some older people I've talked to said that some roller rinks many years ago had a person playing an organ while people skated. I don't remember that even though I'm now 47. I just remember them playing records over the PA system. I remember the many times that I fell and busted my butt on the hard wood floor.

I'm 48 as of 2017. My aunt lived Sagemont in the 1970's and I'd sometimes stay out there.  I grew up in Wilchester neighborhood off Wilcrest between Memorial Drive and I-10. Anyway, I would skate either at Dairy Ashford Roller Rink over on my side of town or Almeda Roller Rink, which I believe is now closed. And yes, I only remember them playing lots and lots of disco on the PA system. Hope that helps!

1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes it was Gulf Gate roller Rink as I was A nightly visitor every night Danced ,Free style and Dance Represented the Rink back in the day now in my 70s loved that rink grew up in it Remember the big o

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory

I'm not sure if there is/was one there but I remember the one on Bellaire. I think it was called the Bellaire Skating Rink back in the 70's. I'm sure it's gone now.

Posted Images

On 7/19/2005 at 9:15 AM, Ashikaga said:

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

Hi was it called Cook's?

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2005 at 7:19 PM, TexasHome said:

If I remember right, it was named Gulfgate Roller Rink. That one was there for a long time too.

I remember the shops in the mall too. Before Almeda Mall, Gulfgate was it other than stand alone stores in Pasadena.

The Gulfgate Theater is gone along with the hill it sat on. Mini storage there now and the 610 crossing bridge is sort of there. I think they are leaving it in place and are rebuilding the theater end of it to match the new lower grade.

OMG !!!    ;-)      THIS BROUGHT BACK SOOOO MANY MEMORIES !!!!   lol lol   I got soooo excited when I found this site and these comments about the gulf gate skate rink...  

Ohh how, I had sooo much fun in that rink.. Friday Nights were the best. If my Mom told me no to the $5 bucks, My grandma would give it to me..   2 bucks to get in w/ skate rental & a soda , w/ nachos !!  ha ha    great to see sooo many folks that remember the place..   Yes you are sooo correct about the location ..  Happy New Year..

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Yes it was Gulf Gate roller Rink as I was A nightly visitor every night Danced ,Free style and Dance Represented the Rink back in the day now in my 70s loved that rink grew up in it Remember the big old Dill Pickles the floor was Well Kept used to be the bad guy with the whistle wish I could buy it bring it back to it former Glory I remember aat one end had the big Neon RSROA sign any one having any Decals patches they wish to sell 214-869-3628 call me as I would love to buy them to many memories I may be old now still skate but it was the best Rink in the 60s and to me will always be the best Bob Singleton

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/3/2007 at 8:38 AM, Original Timmy Chan's said:

There was also a Skate Ranch on Blackhawk in the Sagemont area. I spent many days there as a child doing the Hokey Pokey, the Bunny Hop, drinking suicides, playing Tron, and listening to "Eye of the Tiger", "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places", and "Bomb Iran". Funny how history works...if the Skate Ranch was still around, I bet they'd still be playing "Bomb Iran" today.

I rollerskated pretty much exclusively at the Skate Ranch as a kid...so much so that it was high school before I realized that not all roller rinks were called "Skate Ranches". I thought that was just a generic term for a roller rink...like, "let's go find a skate ranch and go roller skating." :lol:

I use to Skate at the Skate Ranch myself! What a fun time, loved Bomb Iran! Such a simpler time. I spent every Saturday and Friday nights there when I could. Wow! What memories. 😁

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/20/2005 at 10:03 AM, Ashikaga said:

The last time that I went to Houston was back in 2002. On IH-610 I remember seeing a business called "Levitz." The skating rink that I think I remember was somewhere in that vicinity.

Chet Cuccia

I remember the one near Gulfgate area in Houston Texas in the 70’s. It was called Starlite or something like that. It was on 610 Loop South and Telephone Road. The building is still there but it’s a different business.