HAIF - Houston's original social media

I hated the hokey pokey. They made us do the hokey pokey in PE class in elementary school and I hated it. I heard it a few years ago and had to leave the room. Weird how a song can do that someone.

I also did not like the ladies choice time because I was goofy looking and more goofy acting. Chicks never asked me to skate so I had to sit around and wait.

Well, I admire your honesty. I'm 48 and recently I've learn to accept the truth and hard facts about the two things that I have always been a complete, total failure with: women & credit.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes it was Gulf Gate roller Rink as I was A nightly visitor every night Danced ,Free style and Dance Represented the Rink back in the day now in my 70s loved that rink grew up in it Remember the big o

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory

I'm not sure if there is/was one there but I remember the one on Bellaire. I think it was called the Bellaire Skating Rink back in the 70's. I'm sure it's gone now.

Posted Images

Well, I admire your honesty. I'm 48 and recently I've learn to accept the truth and hard facts about the two things that I have always been a complete, total failure with: women & credit.

I am sorry to here that. The good news is that I have excellent credit and I found a pretty woman to marry me. Hopefully both will last !!! :blush:

I am sorry to here that. The good news is that I have excellent credit and I found a pretty woman to marry me. Hopefully both will last !!! :blush:

Well, I'm glad for you. I wish both of you the best. As far as my credit goes, the negative items will be deleted in the year 2012. As far as women, I've concluded that there will probably never be one in my life again. But I did say "probably". If I would affix a percentage, I would say that there is a 75% chance that there will never be a woman in my life again. I've never been legally married. My only child came from a woman whom I lived with.

I have been away for a while during the Holiday season, but is the outdoor ice skating thing still done? It use to be on Main street around '97 where that new building now stands(I think) don't know if they relocated it or cancelled the whole thing.

moved to wortham.

I wonder if a millionaire opened a real big roller rink next to a five-screen drive-in movie theatre somewhere in Houston if it would suceed or fold?

If the Millionare did not care about profit it would probably stay open. If he was trying to make a return or got sick of covering the losses he might just close it down. If these were profitable (for new construction) there would be new ones opening up. Quity frankly they are not profitable and the ones that are still open are most likely living off prior success or berely ekeing by. I am no expert on the subject, just my opinion.

If the Millionare did not care about profit it would probably stay open. If he was trying to make a return or got sick of covering the losses he might just close it down. If these were profitable (for new construction) there would be new ones opening up. Quity frankly they are not profitable and the ones that are still open are most likely living off prior success or berely ekeing by. I am no expert on the subject, just my opinion.

No, your reasoning sounds logical. There are reasons why businesses fold. It just so happens that drive-in theatres, roller rinks, and malt shops were the most popular recreational places for young people. They were en vogue when I was a teen, and also when my parents were. As a matter of fact, my dad met my mom in a roller rink. She's now 66 and he's 72. Naturally, the roller rink where they met no longer exists, just like the drive-in theatres that they took me with them to as a little kid.

No, your reasoning sounds logical. There are reasons why businesses fold. It just so happens that drive-in theatres, roller rinks, and malt shops were the most popular recreational places for young people. They were en vogue when I was a teen, and also when my parents were. As a matter of fact, my dad met my mom in a roller rink. She's now 66 and he's 72. Naturally, the roller rink where they met no longer exists, just like the drive-in theatres that they took me with them to as a little kid.

that is cool. I met my wife at an apt complex that was built in 2000. I guess I have a long ways to go before that is torn down... :lol:

that is cool. I met my wife at an apt complex that was built in 2000. I guess I have a long ways to go before that is torn down... :lol:

Here's my theory. Years ago, there were no video games, Internet, cell phones, cable TV, VCRs/DVDs, etc. So for recreation, people had to go out to places like drive-in restaurants, drive-in movie theatres, roller rinks, etc.

It's just a theory.

Here's my theory. Years ago, there were no video games, Internet, cell phones, cable TV, VCRs/DVDs, etc. So for recreation, people had to go out to places like drive-in restaurants, drive-in movie theatres, roller rinks, etc.

It's just a theory.

It is a great theory. And holds a lot of truth to it.

We just moved into the neighborhood 7 months ago. I have not actually been to the pool (no kids so no real reason). My mother has a pool at her house in Briarbrove Park which works better for us. I have heard that the pool set up is very fun and family friendly. I see people there all the times and yes the tennis courts are still there.

Thanks for answering. We were out of town for a week at our yearly beach family reunion, so I'm just getting back to the boards. I should have known that you probably wouldn't have gone since we never went to our neighborhood pool before our son was born either. Now we go often as our son loves all things water. Anyway, thanks for answering. I may have to drive by and look next time I'm in the area.

I hated the hokey pokey. They made us do the hokey pokey in PE class in elementary school and I hated it. I heard it a few years ago and had to leave the room. Weird how a song can do that someone.

I also did not like the ladies choice time because I was goofy looking and more goofy acting. Chicks never asked me to skate so I had to sit around and wait.

Now you make me laugh -lol. I had forgotten about ladies choice, but I don't think I acted on it much unless it was with people in my group already.

Although the hokey pokey doesn't bother me, I know what you mean. Remember square dancing in PE -ACK! I don't think I could ever square dance again-lol. My husband and I also hated "the Macerena" (sp?) and banned it from our wedding -lol.

It's just a theory.

I completely agree and just posted something similar on this site somewhere recently. Many of the fun amusement type places of my youth are gone and few things have replaced them. Kids don't get out like we did - we were always on the go and doing stuff all over the city.

Although the hokey pokey doesn't bother me, I know what you mean. Remember square dancing in PE -ACK! I don't think I could ever square dance again-lol. My husband and I also hated "the Macerena" (sp?) and banned it from our wedding -lol.

Yes, Square Dancing was so big at SBS. I am not sure why. It was so retarded though. We would have to square dance for a month in PE and then put on a stupid Hoe Down for our parents. Ugggh. My kids hopefully will not have to go through that. Square dancing should be banned.

• 1 month later...
I used to skate at Gulfgate Roller Rink quite often. It was really happenin' on Friday nights. I remember the edge of the rink was bordered by metal pipe. One of the cool things to do was skate as fast as you could and then go under and grab the metal pipe (in the nick of time) and slide onto the concrete surrounding the wooden rink. A miss would have meant smashing into the concrete wall. Why do boys do such things?

They had the usual corny organ music playing and did the usual things like boys only, girls only, couples only, reverse skate, free skate, etc..

One of my memories of that place was skating for several hours and then going home to watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on TV. Good Stuff!

You want to know what's really, I mean REALLY depressing? Hitting middle age and finding out that the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about.

I sprained my ankle once at that old ice rink next to the University of Houston. Ice Land I think it was called. I limped for weeks. The building is still there -- in that 'V" formed by the intersection of MLK and Calhoun, where Wheeler intersects with Calhoun. It's now owned by UH, which uses it as a maintenance equipment building.

I sprained my ankle once at that old ice rink next to the University of Houston. Ice Land I think it was called. I limped for weeks.

I didn't fall much when skating at Bellaire Skating Rink. What really sucked though is years later when I bought some inline skates. I put them on and started skating and all was good until I tried to hit the brakes by using the front of my skates. The brakes were in the back of the skates. Man, I went down face first on the concrete. That was definitely one of my finer "Stupid Human Tricks."

My one episode at the Polar Wave was a disaster. My ankles touched in the middle and I mostly just stood/slumped in one spot, terrified. My male cousin, 6 years older spent his time on his bum on the ice and the girl, 2 years older, sailed like a pro. It was mortifying and we never wanted to go back. I guess I was around 6 or 7 years old (1947-48). Many years later, I went with my daughter to Galleria and could actually stay up and clumsily skated, it was amazing. Cannot remember which roller rink, but must have been in Bellaire area, many skate birthday parties.

What did people do pre-electronic age? Hoo-hah, everything. Here is a sample of teenage activities. Understand we got our unrestricted drivers licenses at 14, so everyone had wheels and gas was 25-50 cents per gallon.

1. Hitchcock for the Sunday Drag Races

2. Movies, movies, movies - inside and drive-in

3. Restaurants, ice cream parlors, remember Rettig's on Holcombe? Or Bill Williams on S. Main?

4. Galveston constantly, big groups with bonfires, singing and roasting food, building contests of structures using driftwood and garbage washed up on beach. "Dangerous" night swimming.

5. Zoo, riding the train at Herrmann Park.

6. Water skiiing at Offats Bayou all day, then home, rinse, change, fix hair and out dancing that night.

7. Early on, Fun Club on Saturdays at The Village Theater, later, spinning platters, dancing, schmoozing at Blanton Memorial on W. Alabama.

8. Drowning in ice cold watermelon at Bluebonnet Gardens

9. Playland Park and the Race track, go A.J.!!

10. Summers - West U. and Southside Pools, tennis, horseshoes, massive games of Hearts and Poker in the heat of day. Dances every Friday night. Trips to New Braunfels to Camp Warnecke, riding the rapids and hitting Schwamkrug's(sp?) at night for outdoor dancing. Daytime doing shuffleboard and the first ever of electronic games - shoot the bear.

Yes, it goes on and on. We were OUT THERE! Lots of parties at friends' houses, slumber parties, cruisin', you name it. Anyone who was not a teen in the 1950's really missed out. It really was the very best. The world was safe, parents could and did let us fly with few restrictions. We did a few pranks, but never got into trouble

Here is a gag blast from the past, which none of you have heard of, I'm sure, unless you were one of my Pershing chums. One of the fads going around for a while was to order a Pineapple Dr. Pepper at Bill Williams Drive In (crushed pineapple in bottom of glass) and then add a bit of Vodka! We thought it fabulous, wild and wicked. No, we didn't get drunk or have wrecks and so far as I know, none of us became alcoholics.

• 7 months later...
I used to go to the Bellaire Skating Rink with my best friend every Friday. We would eat chili-pies, play air hockey, and skate with the boys when they turned out the lights. Those were the days! :)

Roller rinks also appear to be following drive-in theatre, coffee shops, cafes, diners, etc. into being things of the past. The young would gather down at the rink to socialize, race, show off, etc.

Roller rinks also appear to be following drive-in theatre, coffee shops, cafes, diners, etc. into being things of the past. The young would gather down at the rink to socialize, race, show off, etc.

Now here is one I don't think anyone mentioned above...

SKATELAND - Roller Rink on Capitol? which was over in East End off of Harrisburg and Wayside Drive.

I recall going there as a kid brother (much to the chagrin of my big sister and her boyfriend). I was basically the kid chaperon! Isn't that smart!

Later we would go with the other kids in the neighborhood. The thing that stood out to me was the

JUKE BOX music so this will set the date/time frame.

Melanie - I got a brand new pair of roller skates you got a brand new key...

Jay & the American's - Young Girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line better run girl...

Gallery - Oh its so nice to be with you...I love all the things you say and do...

Donny Osmond - Go away Little Girl

Archies - Sugar

Talk about Pop music! A much more innocent time people. :lol:

SKATELAND - Roller Rink on Capitol? which was over in East End off of Harrisburg and Wayside Drive.

I recall going there as a kid brother (much to the chagrin of my big sister and her boyfriend). I was basically the kid chaperon! Isn't that smart!

Later we would go with the other kids in the neighborhood. The thing that stood out to me was the

Jay & the American's - Young Girl get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line better run girl...

Gallery - Oh its so nice to be with you...I love all the things you say and do...

Archies - Sugar

That was late 1971/early 1972. One error: Gary Puckett & the Union Gap recorded "Young Girl." Jay & the Americans recorded "Come A Little Bit Closer."

I don't remember ever going to a roller rink with a jukebox. The would play the current pop song over the speakers while you'd skate.

That was late 1971/early 1972. One error: Gary Puckett & the Union Gap recorded "Young Girl." Jay & the Americans recorded "Come A Little Bit Closer."

I don't remember ever going to a roller rink with a jukebox. The would play the current pop song over the speakers while you'd skate.

I was hoping for someone to correct! Considering how long its been its a miracle I recall the names of the songs. Thanks and I know I had to be about 11-12 years old. I never realized how "bubble-gum" the music was at the time. Really camp.

One thing I really remember is how most of the girls looked like Marsha and Jan Brady's! Mini skirts and all! Wow!

I was hoping for someone to correct! Considering how long its been its a miracle I recall the names of the songs. Thanks and I know I had to be about 11-12 years old. I never realized how "bubble-gum" the music was at the time. Really camp.

One thing I really remember is how most of the girls looked like Marsha and Jan Brady's! Mini skirts and all! Wow!

From what I remember, most girls made it a point not to wear skirts while skating. My parent's met at a skating rink, but that was back in the 1950s when girls wore dresses most of the time. They were also longer back then.

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

I remember it well. I spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there. Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder. The building for Gulfgate is still there just west of Telephone. There is a sign that says Savon Furniture, but I think it is abandoned. You can see the entrance on the southeast corner that once had an awning.

joe

I remember it well. I spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there. Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder. The building for Gulfgate is still there just west of Telephone. There is a sign that says Savon Furniture, but I think it is abandoned. You can see the entrance on the southeast corner that once had an awning.

joe

Wasn't there also a Levitz Furniture store somewhere in that vicinity? Tell me if my memory serves me correctly on that one.

Wasn't there also a Levitz Furniture store somewhere in that vicinity? Tell me if my memory serves me correctly on that one.

Yes Levits' Furniture is now Trading Fair II just east of MLK. And right across the street was Ole Bare and his Superior Waterbeds warehouse store. I wonder what happened to him. I guess waterbeds are no longer chic.

joe

Yes Levits' Furniture is now Trading Fair II just east of MLK. And right across the street was Ole Bare and his Superior Waterbeds warehouse store. I wonder what happened to him. I guess waterbeds are no longer chic.

joe

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been on a waterbed only one time and I didn't like it.

Archies - Sugar

I asked about this rink back in Oct of 2005 but no one responded. I couldnt remember the name of it. Skateland.. ahhh yes thats the one where I spent all my Saturdays. My friend Linda was good enough to skate in the middle...until some kid blew by her and made her fall and break her arm. Thanks for the name. I'm happy again!!

Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder.

There was also a Skate Ranch on Blackhawk in the Sagemont area. I spent many days there as a child doing the Hokey Pokey, the Bunny Hop, drinking suicides, playing Tron, and listening to "Eye of the Tiger", "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places", and "Bomb Iran". Funny how history works...if the Skate Ranch was still around, I bet they'd still be playing "Bomb Iran" today.

I rollerskated pretty much exclusively at the Skate Ranch as a kid...so much so that it was high school before I realized that not all roller rinks were called "Skate Ranches". I thought that was just a generic term for a roller rink...like, "let's go find a skate ranch and go roller skating." :lol:

I asked about this rink back in Oct of 2005 but no one responded. I couldnt remember the name of it. Skateland.. ahhh yes thats the one where I spent all my Saturdays. My friend Linda was good enough to skate in the middle...until some kid blew by her and made her fall and break her arm. Thanks for the name. I'm happy again!!

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is "skating in the middle"? Do you mean in the middle of the floor? Or in the middle between you and another person?

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is "skating in the middle"? Do you mean in the middle of the floor? Or in the middle between you and another person?

People who were very good at skating.. like the ones who could spin and do fancy things would usually skate in the middle of the rink floor while all of us "normal" skaters would just skate around and around in a circle. The middle of the floor was a "special" place.

Edited by EastEnd Susan
People who were very good at skating.. like the ones who could spin and do fancy things would usually skate in the middle of the rink floor while all of us "normal" skaters would just skate around and around in a circle. The middle of the floor was a "special" place.

Yes, I remember the not-so-good skaters "hugged the wall/rail." I didn't have to do that, but I didn't go around in a circle very well. I remember busting my butt many times on those hard wood floors.

During the races where one person would push another while squatting, there'd sometimes be a pileup. You had no control over which part of your body would hit that hard wood floor.

• 2 weeks later...

An old friend recently pointed out to me where this rink's location used to be. South Rice Ave. near the present day Westpark. There is a leather goods store there now I believe.

Someone else on this thread said it was on Chimney Rock near Gulfton. That doesn't sound right.

I used to go to the Bellaire Skating Rink with my best friend every Friday. We would eat chili-pies, play air hockey, and skate with the boys when they turned out the lights. Those were the days! :)
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the movie JFK? There was a scene where Jim Garrison (K. Costner) was interrogating David Ferrie (J. Pesci). Ferrie mentions that on the night of 11/22/63 he drove to Houston with some friends "to go ice skating". I did some research on this a few years back and I found out that the place he went to was located at 2400 Norfolk. The place was called Wonderland. This would place it somewhere behind the Ninfas on Kirby. I drove through there the other day and I saw this building that looks like it might have been an ice skating rink many years ago. Now it houses the BMW repair shop. Does anyone remember this ice rink?

And as a connection to one of the other threads, he stayed with his friends at the Alamo Motel on South Main.

I remember Winterland. Is that the one you meant? I went there in the early 60s.

The ice rink where I used to take lessons (in my early 20s) was in Town & Country (Katy Freeway at West Belt.) It was part of a building called the Farmer's Market. There were a lot of little shops in one half of the building, but in the other half were two ice skating rinks. One was regulation size and the other was a smaller practice rink. The building was built around 1970. In 1974, the roof was damaged by a tornado that passed over. After it was repaired, the rink was under new management and I stopped taking lessons. Instead of having classes just for adults, they put us in a class with teenagers. The instructor kept tapping a broomstick on the ice (kind of like a loony dance master) so most of the adults quit.

The building was torn down when the mall was built in the early 80s.

Edited by Alpha
I remember Winterland. Is that the one you meant? I went there in the early 60s.

The ice rink where I used to take lessons (in my early 20s) was in Town & Country (Katy Freeway at West Belt.) It was part of a building called the Farmer's Market. There were a lot of little shops in one half of the building, but in the other half were two ice skating rinks. One was regulation size and the other was a smaller practice rink. The building was built around 1970. In 1974, the roof was damaged by a tornado that passed over. After it was repaired, the rink was under new management and I stopped taking lessons. Instead of having classes just for adults, they put us in a class with teenagers. The instructor kept tapping a broomstick on the ice (kind of like a loony dance master) so most of the adults quit.

The building was torn down when the mall was built in the early 80s.

Yes, you are correct, it was Winterland. I think that building is still there.

• 2 years later...

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

YES, THE LAST TIME I SAW THAT BLDG IT WAS AN EQUIPMENT RENTAL PLACE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF 610...............THERE USED TO BE SEVERAL SCATTERED ACROSS HOUSTON

• 2 months later...

Tradewinds on W 34th just off 290 is still there. However, it is closed and for sale.

I used to play hockey there. There were about 4 or five of us who stayed for a couple years. The owners name was Russel, I think. He was our coach. I used to go to oak forrest baptist just up the road. I fell once while we were skating laps and broke my arm and wrist. But we went to nationals twice, where we were soundly defeated by every go---mn team that played north of our latitude. Russels son was the DJ and he had lots of those puppets with the sticks on their hands so you can move em. Our goalie had baseball equipment, when we went to nationals every other team had real hockey equipment.

• 1 year later...

Just saw this forum. I heard a great song they used to play at the Gulfgate Roller Rink back in the '60's where I skated.

The song is "Last Night" by the Mar-Keys. Check it out on youtube as I wasn't sure I could post a link here. Will bring back old memories if you skated in the '60's.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I remember right, it was named Gulfgate Roller Rink. That one was there for a long time too.

I remember the shops in the mall too. Before Almeda Mall, Gulfgate was it other than stand alone stores in Pasadena.

The Gulfgate Theater is gone along with the hill it sat on. Mini storage there now and the 610 crossing bridge is sort of there. I think they are leaving it in place and are rebuilding the theater end of it to match the new lower grade.

I remember the hill that the Gulfgate Movie Theatre sat on. I remember running and walking up and down that hill, and I remember the parking lot too. And walking down to the street level of the Gulfgate Movie Theatre. My mother didn't drive, so on one ocassion (or is it occassion?) one night we walk down to the street (below and under the freeway or highway I mean I-45) to catch a ride with my aunts and my grandmother. I remember in 1975 (I believe it was 1975) my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) parked in the parking lot to see the movie Witch Mountain with Kim Richards and Eddie Albert.

There was a rink way out west. Either on Beechnut, Bellaire or Bissonnet. They used to have a gay disco skate night in the 80's. Drag queens on skates - hilarious! :lol:

Edited by rsb320

The Bellaire Skating Rink was indeed on Chimney Rock near Gulton. Went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid, late fifties and early sixties. It was really a big deal for us to go ice skating at Winterland. My wife at that time as a kid lived near the Shamrock Hotel and had a season pass to swim at the pool there. As a native of Houston one of the things I really miss is Valian's Pizza. I can so fondly remember the amazing taste of that pizza and from NYC to California, I have never had a pizza that tasted quite like it. Another neat memory is getting a bucket of Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken. This was long before any fast food places. It was served at a restaurant that I believe was on W Gray and my Dad would call ahead and they would sell it to go. Not the same chicken you get today. I can't remember the last time I have had KFC, not healthy eating for this old boomer.

The Bellaire Skating Rink was indeed on Chimney Rock near Gulton. Went to a lot of birthday parties there as a kid, late fifties and early sixties. It was really a big deal for us to go ice skating at Winterland. My wife at that time as a kid lived near the Shamrock Hotel and had a season pass to swim at the pool there. As a native of Houston one of the things I really miss is Valian's Pizza. I can so fondly remember the amazing taste of that pizza and from NYC to California, I have never had a pizza that tasted quite like it. Another neat memory is getting a bucket of Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken. This was long before any fast food places. It was served at a restaurant that I believe was on W Gray and my Dad would call ahead and they would sell it to go. Not the same chicken you get today. I can't remember the last time I have had KFC, not healthy eating for this old boomer.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...