Gulfgate Roller Rink At 6839 Holmes Rd.

Ashikaga

No special couple skating memories that I can remember except maybe when we had a skate night with classmates in jr. high. Oh, I also think my friends and I went a few times in early high school for kicks, so most likely couples skating with some of them but no one else. I remember those games too. I didn't have your racing abilities though -lol. Did you also limbo? I think I attended a lock-in there once too. We skated there quite a bit, but we also skated in our church gym for free when we were younger -esp. on Wednesday night while my mom was at choir practice.

Friday nights with wine and internet sound like a parent thing to me. We spend many Friday nights at home too these days. We are thinking about hitting the new drive-in so we can see new movies on the big screen w/o getting a sitter for our son. I think he's old enough that he'll like it. We can watch the first movie and then hope he drifts off to sleep so we can stay for the 2nd. I've only been to a drive-in once - to see Pretty Woman with a boyfriend in high school (have no idea where in this city it was, but it was far from us), but thought it was a lot of fun and would love to go again. Maybe soon...

You are too funny.

I do not remember the limbo at Dairy Ashford Roller Rink.

Did you ever skate/ have a school dance at the Walnut Bend Gym. I remember that place being a palace. Fast Forward 20 years and my attending a HOA meeting there. It is not a palace, except for the palace of dirt.

As for my Friday nights. We are a partying couple that is lazy. We used to go out all the time, but lately things are a little different. My wife usually hits the gym on Sat. Mornings which means she goes to bed early and I hit the CPU for a little HAIF, online poker, or whatever floats my boat. We are sans children but seriously thinking about it. We both love kids, but don't love resposibility.

As for the drive in. My father took my sister and I to see Jaws at a drive in when I was maybe 4. I remember watching about 10 minutes and then blacking out (sleep). What is amazing is that I actually remember the experience. My pops passed away when I was 7 so I do not have too many memories, but that one sticks out. My mother was pissed off, because I was afraid of the ocean for a few years after. Like I said, I probably made it through the previews and was out, but the thought of a big shark was all I needed.

You are too funny.

I do not remember the limbo at Dairy Ashford Roller Rink.

Did you ever skate/ have a school dance at the Walnut Bend Gym. I remember that place being a palace. Fast Forward 20 years and my attending a HOA meeting there. It is not a palace, except for the palace of dirt.

As for my Friday nights. We are a partying couple that is lazy. We used to go out all the time, but lately things are a little different. My wife usually hits the gym on Sat. Mornings which means she goes to bed early and I hit the CPU for a little HAIF, online poker, or whatever floats my boat. We are sans children but seriously thinking about it. We both love kids, but don't love resposibility.

As for the drive in. My father took my sister and I to see Jaws at a drive in when I was maybe 4. I remember watching about 10 minutes and then blacking out (sleep). What is amazing is that I actually remember the experience. My pops passed away when I was 7 so I do not have too many memories, but that one sticks out. My mother was pissed off, because I was afraid of the ocean for a few years after. Like I said, I probably made it through the previews and was out, but the thought of a big shark was all I needed.

I'm glad I can amuse -lol. ;)

I never went to a dance at WB gym. I don't have many memories inside the building there. We LIVED at the pools when we were kids though and I remember a snack bar on the back side of the gym building that you could access from the outside. Do they still have 3 pools (Olympic lane pool w/ diving boards and slide, medium pool w/ deep area, and kiddie pool)? Are the tennis courts and park still there? I have many memories of days spent there.

LOL - about the partying couple that's hit a lazy spot/ place. Enjoy your time b/c it is harder once you have children, but definitely worth it!! Our son is the light of our lives and we hope for more soon. We still get out some as my family lives nearby (for mainly movies and Astros games these days), but love being home too. I'm the night owl- that's where my internet time comes in.

I'm sorry that you lost your dad at such a young age. That must have been hard. I hope you have many great memories that you carry with you.

Have a great week!

I never went to a dance at WB gym. I don't have many memories inside the building there. We LIVED at the pools when we were kids though and I remember a snack bar on the back side of the gym building that you could access from the outside. Do they still have 3 pools (Olympic lane pool w/ diving boards and slide, medium pool w/ deep area, and kiddie pool)? Are the tennis courts and park still there? I have many memories of days spent there.

We just moved into the neighborhood 7 months ago. I have not actually been to the pool (no kids so no real reason). My mother has a pool at her house in Briarbrove Park which works better for us. I have heard that the pool set up is very fun and family friendly. I see people there all the times and yes the tennis courts are still there.

I have ask since we lived parrallel lives. Did you ever couple skate at the Dairy Ashford Rink. I was usually too busy gearing up for the races they had. My buddy and I always won the derby race (one person crouches and another pushes)- I was the pusher !!! . I was pretty good at the all around speed skate, but there was some apartment kid who always won. I wonder what happened to him. Probably drank himself to death after all that early success.

My Friday's at the Rink were great. Now my friday's usually mean I am drinking a few glasses of wine and posting on this site. LOSER ALERT. :o

Oh yes, I remember the races. During the push races, sometimes the one being pushed would lose their balance and fall over, and the other racers would trip and fall all over causing a pileup on the floor. I also remember doing the Hokey Pokey. If you shook your leg the wrong way, you'd lose your balance, fall, and bust your butt on that hard wooden floor. Someone else on this forum said that he remembers playing a game called Snap The Whip, but I don't recall ever seeing, much less participating in, that game.

Do any of you remember Ladies Choice couple's skating? It's where a girl would go and ask a guy to couple skate with her.

Oh yes, I remember the races. During the push races, sometimes the one being pushed would lose their balance and fall over, and the other racers would trip and fall all over causing a pileup on the floor. I also remember doing the Hokey Pokey. If you shook your leg the wrong way, you'd lose your balance, fall, and bust your butt on that hard wooden floor. Someone else on this forum said that he remembers playing a game called Snap The Whip, but I don't recall ever seeing, much less participating in, that game.

Do any of you remember Ladies Choice couple's skating? It's where a girl would go and ask a guy to couple skate with her.

I hated the hokey pokey. They made us do the hokey pokey in PE class in elementary school and I hated it. I heard it a few years ago and had to leave the room. Weird how a song can do that someone.

I also did not like the ladies choice time because I was goofy looking and more goofy acting. Chicks never asked me to skate so I had to sit around and wait.

I hated the hokey pokey. They made us do the hokey pokey in PE class in elementary school and I hated it. I heard it a few years ago and had to leave the room. Weird how a song can do that someone.

I also did not like the ladies choice time because I was goofy looking and more goofy acting. Chicks never asked me to skate so I had to sit around and wait.

Well, I admire your honesty. I'm 48 and recently I've learn to accept the truth and hard facts about the two things that I have always been a complete, total failure with: women & credit.

Well, I admire your honesty. I'm 48 and recently I've learn to accept the truth and hard facts about the two things that I have always been a complete, total failure with: women & credit.

I am sorry to here that. The good news is that I have excellent credit and I found a pretty woman to marry me. Hopefully both will last !!! :blush:

I am sorry to here that. The good news is that I have excellent credit and I found a pretty woman to marry me. Hopefully both will last !!! :blush:

Well, I'm glad for you. I wish both of you the best. As far as my credit goes, the negative items will be deleted in the year 2012. As far as women, I've concluded that there will probably never be one in my life again. But I did say "probably". If I would affix a percentage, I would say that there is a 75% chance that there will never be a woman in my life again. I've never been legally married. My only child came from a woman whom I lived with.

I have been away for a while during the Holiday season, but is the outdoor ice skating thing still done? It use to be on Main street around '97 where that new building now stands(I think) don't know if they relocated it or cancelled the whole thing.

moved to wortham.

I wonder if a millionaire opened a real big roller rink next to a five-screen drive-in movie theatre somewhere in Houston if it would suceed or fold?

If the Millionare did not care about profit it would probably stay open. If he was trying to make a return or got sick of covering the losses he might just close it down. If these were profitable (for new construction) there would be new ones opening up. Quity frankly they are not profitable and the ones that are still open are most likely living off prior success or berely ekeing by. I am no expert on the subject, just my opinion.

If the Millionare did not care about profit it would probably stay open. If he was trying to make a return or got sick of covering the losses he might just close it down. If these were profitable (for new construction) there would be new ones opening up. Quity frankly they are not profitable and the ones that are still open are most likely living off prior success or berely ekeing by. I am no expert on the subject, just my opinion.

No, your reasoning sounds logical. There are reasons why businesses fold. It just so happens that drive-in theatres, roller rinks, and malt shops were the most popular recreational places for young people. They were en vogue when I was a teen, and also when my parents were. As a matter of fact, my dad met my mom in a roller rink. She's now 66 and he's 72. Naturally, the roller rink where they met no longer exists, just like the drive-in theatres that they took me with them to as a little kid.

No, your reasoning sounds logical. There are reasons why businesses fold. It just so happens that drive-in theatres, roller rinks, and malt shops were the most popular recreational places for young people. They were en vogue when I was a teen, and also when my parents were. As a matter of fact, my dad met my mom in a roller rink. She's now 66 and he's 72. Naturally, the roller rink where they met no longer exists, just like the drive-in theatres that they took me with them to as a little kid.

that is cool. I met my wife at an apt complex that was built in 2000. I guess I have a long ways to go before that is torn down... :lol:

that is cool. I met my wife at an apt complex that was built in 2000. I guess I have a long ways to go before that is torn down... :lol:

Here's my theory. Years ago, there were no video games, Internet, cell phones, cable TV, VCRs/DVDs, etc. So for recreation, people had to go out to places like drive-in restaurants, drive-in movie theatres, roller rinks, etc.

It's just a theory.

Here's my theory. Years ago, there were no video games, Internet, cell phones, cable TV, VCRs/DVDs, etc. So for recreation, people had to go out to places like drive-in restaurants, drive-in movie theatres, roller rinks, etc.

It's just a theory.

It is a great theory. And holds a lot of truth to it.

We just moved into the neighborhood 7 months ago. I have not actually been to the pool (no kids so no real reason). My mother has a pool at her house in Briarbrove Park which works better for us. I have heard that the pool set up is very fun and family friendly. I see people there all the times and yes the tennis courts are still there.

Thanks for answering. We were out of town for a week at our yearly beach family reunion, so I'm just getting back to the boards. I should have known that you probably wouldn't have gone since we never went to our neighborhood pool before our son was born either. Now we go often as our son loves all things water. Anyway, thanks for answering. I may have to drive by and look next time I'm in the area.

Now you make me laugh -lol. I had forgotten about ladies choice, but I don't think I acted on it much unless it was with people in my group already.

Although the hokey pokey doesn't bother me, I know what you mean. Remember square dancing in PE -ACK! I don't think I could ever square dance again-lol. My husband and I also hated "the Macerena" (sp?) and banned it from our wedding -lol.

It's just a theory.

I completely agree and just posted something similar on this site somewhere recently. Many of the fun amusement type places of my youth are gone and few things have replaced them. Kids don't get out like we did - we were always on the go and doing stuff all over the city.

Although the hokey pokey doesn't bother me, I know what you mean. Remember square dancing in PE -ACK! I don't think I could ever square dance again-lol. My husband and I also hated "the Macerena" (sp?) and banned it from our wedding -lol.

Yes, Square Dancing was so big at SBS. I am not sure why. It was so retarded though. We would have to square dance for a month in PE and then put on a stupid Hoe Down for our parents. Ugggh. My kids hopefully will not have to go through that. Square dancing should be banned.

• 1 month later...
I used to skate at Gulfgate Roller Rink quite often. It was really happenin' on Friday nights. I remember the edge of the rink was bordered by metal pipe. One of the cool things to do was skate as fast as you could and then go under and grab the metal pipe (in the nick of time) and slide onto the concrete surrounding the wooden rink. A miss would have meant smashing into the concrete wall. Why do boys do such things?

They had the usual corny organ music playing and did the usual things like boys only, girls only, couples only, reverse skate, free skate, etc..

One of my memories of that place was skating for several hours and then going home to watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on TV. Good Stuff!

You want to know what's really, I mean REALLY depressing? Hitting middle age and finding out that the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about.

I sprained my ankle once at that old ice rink next to the University of Houston. Ice Land I think it was called. I limped for weeks. The building is still there -- in that 'V" formed by the intersection of MLK and Calhoun, where Wheeler intersects with Calhoun. It's now owned by UH, which uses it as a maintenance equipment building.

I sprained my ankle once at that old ice rink next to the University of Houston. Ice Land I think it was called. I limped for weeks.

I didn't fall much when skating at Bellaire Skating Rink. What really sucked though is years later when I bought some inline skates. I put them on and started skating and all was good until I tried to hit the brakes by using the front of my skates. The brakes were in the back of the skates. Man, I went down face first on the concrete. That was definitely one of my finer "Stupid Human Tricks."

My one episode at the Polar Wave was a disaster. My ankles touched in the middle and I mostly just stood/slumped in one spot, terrified. My male cousin, 6 years older spent his time on his bum on the ice and the girl, 2 years older, sailed like a pro. It was mortifying and we never wanted to go back. I guess I was around 6 or 7 years old (1947-48). Many years later, I went with my daughter to Galleria and could actually stay up and clumsily skated, it was amazing. Cannot remember which roller rink, but must have been in Bellaire area, many skate birthday parties.

What did people do pre-electronic age? Hoo-hah, everything. Here is a sample of teenage activities. Understand we got our unrestricted drivers licenses at 14, so everyone had wheels and gas was 25-50 cents per gallon.

1. Hitchcock for the Sunday Drag Races

2. Movies, movies, movies - inside and drive-in

3. Restaurants, ice cream parlors, remember Rettig's on Holcombe? Or Bill Williams on S. Main?

4. Galveston constantly, big groups with bonfires, singing and roasting food, building contests of structures using driftwood and garbage washed up on beach. "Dangerous" night swimming.

5. Zoo, riding the train at Herrmann Park.

6. Water skiiing at Offats Bayou all day, then home, rinse, change, fix hair and out dancing that night.

7. Early on, Fun Club on Saturdays at The Village Theater, later, spinning platters, dancing, schmoozing at Blanton Memorial on W. Alabama.

8. Drowning in ice cold watermelon at Bluebonnet Gardens

9. Playland Park and the Race track, go A.J.!!

10. Summers - West U. and Southside Pools, tennis, horseshoes, massive games of Hearts and Poker in the heat of day. Dances every Friday night. Trips to New Braunfels to Camp Warnecke, riding the rapids and hitting Schwamkrug's(sp?) at night for outdoor dancing. Daytime doing shuffleboard and the first ever of electronic games - shoot the bear.

Yes, it goes on and on. We were OUT THERE! Lots of parties at friends' houses, slumber parties, cruisin', you name it. Anyone who was not a teen in the 1950's really missed out. It really was the very best. The world was safe, parents could and did let us fly with few restrictions. We did a few pranks, but never got into trouble

Here is a gag blast from the past, which none of you have heard of, I'm sure, unless you were one of my Pershing chums. One of the fads going around for a while was to order a Pineapple Dr. Pepper at Bill Williams Drive In (crushed pineapple in bottom of glass) and then add a bit of Vodka! We thought it fabulous, wild and wicked. No, we didn't get drunk or have wrecks and so far as I know, none of us became alcoholics.

• 7 months later...
I used to go to the Bellaire Skating Rink with my best friend every Friday. We would eat chili-pies, play air hockey, and skate with the boys when they turned out the lights. Those were the days! :)

Roller rinks also appear to be following drive-in theatre, coffee shops, cafes, diners, etc. into being things of the past. The young would gather down at the rink to socialize, race, show off, etc.

I also remember us going skating at a roller rink (1962-64) that I think was on IH-610 west of Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. Was there such a place in that vicinity? Or in this case, has my memory failed me?

Chet Cuccia

I remember it well. I spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there. Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder. The building for Gulfgate is still there just west of Telephone. There is a sign that says Savon Furniture, but I think it is abandoned. You can see the entrance on the southeast corner that once had an awning.

joe

I remember it well. I spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there. Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder. The building for Gulfgate is still there just west of Telephone. There is a sign that says Savon Furniture, but I think it is abandoned. You can see the entrance on the southeast corner that once had an awning.

joe

Wasn't there also a Levitz Furniture store somewhere in that vicinity? Tell me if my memory serves me correctly on that one.

Wasn't there also a Levitz Furniture store somewhere in that vicinity? Tell me if my memory serves me correctly on that one.

Yes Levits' Furniture is now Trading Fair II just east of MLK. And right across the street was Ole Bare and his Superior Waterbeds warehouse store. I wonder what happened to him. I guess waterbeds are no longer chic.

joe

Yes Levits' Furniture is now Trading Fair II just east of MLK. And right across the street was Ole Bare and his Superior Waterbeds warehouse store. I wonder what happened to him. I guess waterbeds are no longer chic.

joe

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been on a waterbed only one time and I didn't like it.

Also at the Skate Ranch of Monroe, I think, on one of those streets that cut back to the I45 feeder.

There was also a Skate Ranch on Blackhawk in the Sagemont area. I spent many days there as a child doing the Hokey Pokey, the Bunny Hop, drinking suicides, playing Tron, and listening to "Eye of the Tiger", "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places", and "Bomb Iran". Funny how history works...if the Skate Ranch was still around, I bet they'd still be playing "Bomb Iran" today.

I rollerskated pretty much exclusively at the Skate Ranch as a kid...so much so that it was high school before I realized that not all roller rinks were called "Skate Ranches". I thought that was just a generic term for a roller rink...like, "let's go find a skate ranch and go roller skating." :lol: