3 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I think Houston Endowment should write them a check for $15 million with the memo line: "Name stays."

I'm still wondering what the black dude in the bottom right is point at in the sky...

5 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I just wish they could solve the flooding issues with that part of town. I think if they went ahead with the White Oak Bayou bypass over to the eastern side of town to connect with Buffalo Bayou they would help the western and northwestern side of downtown. I also believe that the county buidings that are built near Louisiana and Travis should be taken out as they constrict the flow of water through downtown. They are literally built to the waters edge leaving no room for excess drainage.

...maybe its the rising tide!

• Haha 1

September board meeting packet was put up. Only real new information is timeline and Phase breakdown of Bagby street construction: http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtownhouston/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/190919_Bagby-Street_Stakeholder-Advisory-Committee_Presentation.pdf

Text is kind of small. Blue is 1Q20-2Q20. Green is 3Q20-4Q20. Purple is 1Q21-2Q21. Orange is 3Q21-4Q21.

There is some utility work in the southern half (left side of this pic) Bagby that will be completed in 2020. 

TZI0Guw.png

• Like 9

Just noticed that they were originally planning to extend the cycle track onto Franklin and then wrap around to Congress, but that's been dropped. I emailed the Downtown District planner to see what happened. 

Edit: heard back already!

TLDR: Franklin bridge was hard to retrofit and they had to cut back due to budgetary reasons. There's still relatively decent access to Buffalo Bayou, so that's not a huge deal. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

That’s one ugly park! Didn’t realize a park this bad could be designed in 2019. And, all I notice in the video are the cars. Feels like a freeway park with a couple of circles in the middle. Just bad. Gensler is the worst. 

Edited by TOMIKA!
  • Like 4

Yeah that park is going to hoooooot during the summer time. Unless they need all that space for discgolf, I don't really understand the thought behind having all that space and no significant landscape architecture. It screams "THIS IS BETTER THAN A PARKING LOT, RIGHT?" when in actuality, I don't know.

• 2 months later...

First, the city made Main and its surrounding areas nicer so attorneys could enjoy their brand new civil and criminal courthouse and tap into some great drinks and food pre, during, and post trial.

Now they are putting in this park so going to the federal courthouse will be a relaxing experience and help attorneys get their mind right before going to court. I dunno which law firms and attorneys have been donating to make this possible, but god bless them! 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/02/07/cbre-dishes-on-search-for-restaurant-operator-for.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

CBRE dishes on search for restaurant operator for Jones Plaza redevelopment

By Laura Gillespie  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal

Feb 7, 2020, 8:37am CST

CBRE is now looking for an operator to run the restaurant as part of the previously announced transformation of Jones Plaza, which will be renamed the Lynn Wyatt Square for the Performing Arts

The 8,547-square-foot restaurant will be two stories, CBRE Associate Lacee Jacobs said, making it ideal for a dual concept overseen by a single operator. She is handling leasing for the restaurant along with Associate Laura Harness. Jacobs said the street level could be suited for a more formal concept, with valet, serving as a nice restaurant to go to before attending a performance in the Theater District. That lower level will be 2,000 square feet. 

The upper level, which will face the park, will have a patio and could support a more casual concept with greater interaction with the park and parkgoers. That level will be 2,400 square feet. 

“It is definitely going to be part of what we think is an awesome transformation of this park," Jacobs said of the restaurant. "And we really want it to interact with the park and with the parkgoers and with all the events that will be hosted at the park. But we really want it to be a great representation of our city and downtown.”

Although Jacobs doesn't have a specific type of food in mind for the restaurant, CBRE is seeking a local brand. 

Specific rent hasn't been set, and there's some flexibility available to work with operators potentially interested in the space. 

The operator will have input on the restaurant’s design.

“It’s designed to feel very cozy and to have very defined bar area and dining area and patio area,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs said the restaurant will bridge the gap between downtown workers, residents and Houstonians who are just in the area to catch a show or see the park. The park will have similar programming to Market Square Park, with possible activities including movies, bingo or the biking group Critical Mass meet-ups. 

”The Lynn Wyatt Square For The Performing Arts will be a gamechanger for the Theater District and the west side of downtown Houston” Brenda Bazan, president and CEO of Houston First Corp., said in a press release. Houston First is managing the park. 

“We are confident that having CBRE as part of our team will result in selecting the right restaurant operator, which is a key component to reimagining the next chapter of the new greenspace.”

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
formatting
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

"Pre-Show Cocktail Hour"  Now the Plaza is sounding better as well as looking better. 

Its the bougiest thing ever, but definitely wouldn't mind going to one just to be in that environment at night.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Bingo? Will they get Ethel from the St. Vincent Harvest Years Society to call the numbers? She's the best. And what about bridge? This thing is DOA unless there's a good game of contract bridge.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jermh said:

There was a truck on the Louisiana side of the plaza that looks to be pulling core samples as I walked by at lunch.

Saw this while driving around during lunch break, but wasn't to sure if this was for the plaza or not.

• 4 months later...