Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a resident of Skyhouse this weekend, and she mentioned that in a conversation with the Downtown Skyhouse project manager, he told her that Novare Group had already purchased the block bounded by Main, Pease, Jefferson, and Fannin, and was planning a second Skyhouse across the first skyhouse ). Can anyone substantiate this rumor? I tend to be very skeptical of hearsay statements like this one.

• Like 1

I was talking to a resident of Skyhouse this weekend, and she mentioned that in a conversation with the Downtown Skyhouse project manager, he told her that Novare Group had already purchased the block bounded by Main, Pease, Jefferson, and Fannin, and was planning a second Skyhouse across the first skyhouse ). Can anyone substantiate this rumor? I tend to be very skeptical of hearsay statements like this one.

I believe lockmat had heard the same rumor as well. Plus, didn't we have a soil sample test on this lot last month?

The very specific information she had regarding the information intrigued me (i.e. the building location; she also said that there would be two swimming pools on the new building -- one at mid level and one at the top.). I hope this is more than a rumor.

i heard from a good source several weeks ago that skyhouse cbd #2 will happen sooner rather than later.

across main or next to the existing one?

What would look better? Identical towers next to each other or 2 different versions next to each other?

• Like 1

What would look better? Identical towers next to each other or 2 different versions next to each other?

I've been having an emotional battle (not really) over this very thought ever since rumors of the second downtown skyhouse surfaced. It's always been rumored for the plot to the south of it. I kind of wish it were across main but it would block a lot more views that way vs being off to the side.

As for designs idk if they could pull off a Houston version of Atlantas King and Queen towers, but it would be cool. They would have to do two different colored lighting schemes for that obviously.

Somebody at the Downtown forum hosted by BisNow claimed there are only three blocks remaining for office towers within the CBD. I'm not sure how much basis in fact there is for this assessment or even what is considered to be the Central Business District, but it surprised me.

That sounds like a pretty silly statement.  I'm thinking they were misinterpreted/misheard.

• Like 1

The first time I read it, I thought it meant that there is only 3 class-A buildings with a large amount of leasing space available for a relocation of a major company.  I mean the really good office space is pretty much gone or very little of it is left.

But reading it again, perhaps it's true that there is "about 3 good office sites" remaining for development.  I mean, the tunnel/skywalk expansion is just about done on the north side of downtown.  On the south side, you have 800 Bell (which after the renovation will have tunnel access) and the vacant lots around it can be developed to connect to the tunnel system.  You have the empty block near 4 Houston Center also.

All the other vacant lots do not have easy/close access to the tunnel/skywalk system.  Who wants to develop those for office space?  By the way, will the new Chevron tower have tunnel access?

Also, I found it interesting that Allen Center (I assume it means Allen Center One, Two, and Three combined) is 95% occupied overall with only one full floor available.  

Anyways, someone should pass all this info to Stream Realty and tell them that CBD lacks top notch class-A space and they need to raise the floor count on One Market Square to 50 floors again!

• Like 3

It does appear that is what he said.  Understanding that he is in the business of marketing office space (so it's in his interest to exaggerate the scarcity) but still that seems like a wild exaggeration.   Even if you consider that he may have meant only three good office sites besides those already spoken for (so excluding the sites for 6 Houston Center, 5 Allen Center, 1500 Smith, Allen Center Clay Street, the 50-story Chevron tower, the adjacent block(s) owned by Chevron, Capitol Tower, One Market Square)... So excluding those 9 or so good office sites, are there really only 3 good office sites left in downtown Houston?

What about...

Block 142 (Milam, Louisiana, Walker, McKinney)

Block 97 (Rusk, Walker, LaBranch, Austin)

Block 251 (Lamar, Dallas, LaBranch, Austin), which would in turn open up 275 and 276, which would  in turn open up 291 and 292

Block 319 (Clay, Bell, Milam, Travis)

Block 318 (Clay, Bell, Travis, Main)

Block 317 (Clay, Bell, Fannin, Main)

Block 335 (Bell, Leeland, Travis, Main)

Block 352 (Leeland, Pease, Travis, Milam)?

And that's without getting into blocks that are/will be candidates for tear-downs (e.g. Block 257).

• Like 3

Thank you for the list, perhaps he did exaggerate some.  These are all prime office sites. 

The key blocks that I hope can get developed to include tunnel/skywalk access are Block 251 (Lamar, Dallas, LaBranch, Austin), and the blocks surrounding 800 Bell.  Sure would help to spread it on the South/East side of downtown, and will as you said open up more empty lots, making them desirable for developers to build on. 

Thank you for the list, perhaps he did exaggerate some.  These are all prime office sites. 

The key blocks that I hope can get developed to include tunnel/skywalk access are Block 251 (Lamar, Dallas, LaBranch, Austin), and the blocks surrounding 800 Bell.  Sure would help to spread it on the South/East side of downtown, and will as you said open up more empty lots, making them desirable for developers to build on. 

We all heard the most desirable office building lots are the ones with tunnel connection, however, wasn't Hess Tower (way off of the grid) sold for a record amount. I think this false facade of "it must be on the tunnel" system will start to fade especially if the convention center district looks like it will be built around activity of the street level and will be close to residences.

We all heard the most desirable office building lots are the ones with tunnel connection, however, wasn't Hess Tower (way off of the grid) sold for a record amount. I think this false facade of "it must be on the tunnel" system will start to fade especially if the convention center district looks like it will be built around activity of the street level and will be close to residences.

To be clear, when people refer to being connected to the tunnel system, they are referring to the tunnel and skywalk system.  Hess Tower is connected and is not off the grid. 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Pretty much everything in the Houston Center area is connected by gerbil tubes rather than tunnels; likewise, Cullen Center/Allen Center/the Chevron campus.  Regardless, from an amenity standpoint the appeal is when one can get from building to building without getting wet, whether from rain, perspiration, or both.

I think I would rather this be identical in design, but with the green glass instead of blue, to change it up just enough so that it's not too repetitive. Save the third (V shaped roof) SkyHouse design for Memorial City or something..

I just spoke with a manager at Skyhouse 1, who confirmed that Skyhouse 2 downtown is in the works. In fact, she mentioned that they received permitting last week, and it is projected to break ground mid-2015 and be completed sometime in 2016. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I just spoke with a manager at Skyhouse 1, who confirmed that Skyhouse 2 downtown is in the works. In fact, she mentioned that they received permitting last week, and it is projected to break ground mid-2015 and be completed sometime in 2016. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Great news! I'm excited for another residential high rise in downtown. Now if we could just get a condo tower.

• Like 1

Random question I had while looking at the newest development map (which has SkyHouse Main listed in case we were still not convinced): why do they call hotel rooms "keys", as in the Marriott Marquis is a 1000-key hotel?

My guess is that because there are other rooms besides guest rooms, like conference rooms, storage rooms, etc., they need an industry term that applies specifically to the guest rooms, so you can compare apples to apples. Also because in some hotels there may be multi-room suites.

• Like 1