Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

• 3 weeks later...

Ongoing work this week on the block at St. Joseph and San Jacinto (#22 on the development list), apparently earlier than 4th quarter start. Per HBJ :

Houston-based Allied Orion Group plans to build an eight-story, 242-unit apartment on a city block bounded by San Jacinto, St. Joseph, Caroline and Jefferson. Construction is expected to start in the fourth quarter with the estimated completion date in the second quarter of 2017.

• Like 1

I have added most of the new developments discussed in Going Up! in the last month to devmap.io, if they weren't already there. The following should appear on the map in a day or two:

City View Lofts

UH Housing at Scott and Elgin

The Mondrian

Fenix Estates

River Oaks Collection

Saint Vincent Square

Alexan Southside Place

East End affordable housing by New Hope

Please PM me if you'd like me to add anything else.

I have added most of the new developments discussed in Going Up! in the last month to devmap.io, if they weren't already there. The following should appear on the map in a day or two:

City View Lofts

UH Housing at Scott and Elgin

The Mondrian

Fenix Estates

River Oaks Collection

Saint Vincent Square

Alexan Southside Place

East End affordable housing by New Hope

Please PM me if you'd like me to add anything else.

Could you link us?

Stalled Projects are Back on The Boards

You might think construction projects are stalling left and right in Houston. Not so, according to panelists at yesterday morning’s Bisnow New Construction & Development event.

Arch-Con CEO Michael Scheurich (right, pictured with McGriff Seibels & Williams’ Marc Boots) says a number of developments were put on pause at the end of last year/early this year. But now people are breathing again, and most are back on. Moreover, many of them are even expedited. To his amazement, even office developments are all systems go again. He says the only projects he’s had pause and not return are multifamily.

Ziegler Cooper senior principal Kurt Hull (right, pictured with moderator Thompson & Knight partner Bruce Merwin) has a slightly different experience but the same general sense. He hasn’t seen any multifamily developments stall because of oil. He has had office projects go on hold in Uptown and The Woodlands, but then he also recently received some new pure office assignments. (Those single-use buildings will become increasingly rare this cycle, he says—already, almost every project Ziegler Cooper’s working on has some mix of uses.) Kurt says developers are back to being aggressive because they’re looking at multiple years of design and construction lead time, and because no one’s making new land—if you’re going to take advantage of the best sites, you need to do it now.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.c..._medium=Browser

Houston Developers Defying National Percecption with New Projects

It’s almost trendy in other parts of the country to talk about how Houston will fail and to forget trying to get financing, Hanover Co CIO Brandt Bowden says. But they’re all wrong, and Hanover could break ground on another apartment complex here this year.

Hanover’s got two projects in lease-up, and Brandt (far right, with his fellow panelists at Bisnow’s New Construction & Development event Wednesday) says the firm was expecting a rough process at the end of last year. But he’s been pleasantly surprised; operations have remained strong. There was a huge overhang of multifamily demand—especially inside the Loop—that bled into this year.

2016 deliveries will be 40% lower than this year, and the pipeline isn’t being replenished. Hanover is considering starting construction on another development this year, and Brandt says it expects to do about three more in 2016 and 2017. If they don’t happen, it probably won’t be because of weak demand or fundamentals, Brandt says (although he does think operations might hit a snag later this year), but because there’s still been no relief on labor or construction prices.

Howard Hughes EVP Peter Doyle (center, with DHR International’s Sayres Dudley and Morris Architects’ Doug Childers) has been through seven cycles since 1965 and although he’s normally very optimistic, this time he’s prepared to hunker down. Office is getting negative absorption and he says almost every office building will end up with a sublease or two, so he expects rents to drop. But Peter admits he’s in favor of a softening in Houston and The Woodlands—the price of land, housing and leased space has increased so much that we’d started to lose our competitive edge versus other markets.

While development is easing in most sectors, retail is just coming to the table, says NewQuest EVP Chris Dray, pictured, left, with moderator Insgroup SVP Philip Wise. NewQuest has 13 retail projects under development, including three mixed-use centers inside the Loop. One of the biggest changes is the resurgence of the big box—six or seven power centers are planned across the metro. But he’s got his eye on something that’d be a true game changer. If Gulf Coast Commercial develops vertical retail at the former Tarkett site in the Heights, it’d be the first of its kind in Texas. Nothing definitive has been announced, but Chris believes it’ll happen and says “it’ll change everything.”

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/mixed-use/houston-developers-defying-national-perception-with-new-projects-49116?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I miss the flood of new proposals :(

You know when I joined this forum? 2007. During that time, there were proposals coming left and right. Titan... River Oaks District was massive with several highrises... Blvd place had several highrises...Turnberry Tower and there was a flood of other projects. Guess what happened? The financial crisis the next year. Projects either got cancelled or were indefinitely on hold. Just several years later and all of these projects materialized in some shape or form. Hell, even more projects beyond imagination appeared come late 2012 and 2013 and early 2014. I tend to post negative articles for the past year now about the Houston real estate market... but I'm a firm believer that we'll have another boom several years from now where we can be excited and see new proposals coming at us every week at the rate we saw during the last boom. This boom has brought us one step closer to becoming a truly urban place... I feel like it's improved the fundamentals of this city... actually seeing growth in downtown and the immediate area... parks completely revitalizing areas... Once overlooked areas becoming hot spots for activity.

Patience.... that's the biggest thing we'll need for right now.

• Like 7

You know when I joined this forum? 2007. During that time, there were proposals coming left and right. Titan... River Oaks District was massive with several highrises... Blvd place had several highrises...Turnberry Tower and there was a flood of other projects. Guess what happened? The financial crisis the next year. Projects either got cancelled or were indefinitely on hold. Just several years later and all of these projects materialized in some shape or form. Hell, even more projects beyond imagination appeared come late 2012 and 2013 and early 2014. I tend to post negative articles for the past year now about the Houston real estate market... but I'm a firm believer that we'll have another boom several years from now where we can be excited and see new proposals coming at us every week at the rate we saw during the last boom. This boom has brought us one step closer to becoming a truly urban place... I feel like it's improved the fundamentals of this city... actually seeing growth in downtown and the immediate area... parks completely revitalizing areas... Once overlooked areas becoming hot spots for activity.

Patience.... that's the biggest thing we'll need for right now.

Haha, yeah, those were the days.  Remember that Deyaar(sp?) Post Oak proposal?  Like an 80 story tower right on Richmond/Post Oak?  

Man if only that thing went up, lol. 

• Like 2

Just to put it into perspective.

Downtown is currently at 3,024 housing units including the recently completed Skyhouse.

Per the Development Map:

Year-end 2015: 3,747 units

Year-end 2016: 5,020 units

Year-end 2017: 7,041 units (most of the units come online in first half of 2017)

Over the next 20 months, 4,017 new units come online, an increase of 133% from current. This wave of construction will bring 4,353 new units total (including the already completed Skyhouse), a 162% increase.

...and the majority of those units will be occupied rentals, rather than simply investment condos--a significant distinction for the health of Downtown as a residential neighborhood at it's current growth stage. 

• Like 3

Think we all know this already but guess I'll post this anyway...

Sorry, Houston. Construction has peaked

The forecast is shaky for commercial real estate for the next year at least, said Patrick Jankowski, senior vice president of research for the Greater Houston Partnership, at a meeting for the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors held Sept. 15.

Jankowski pointed to the continued turmoil in oil prices and the amount of sublease space on the market as reasons behind the slowdown in commercial real estate.

"If sublease reaches 10 million square feet by the first quarter of 2016, which CBRE analysts are saying might happen, that would take about two years to absorb that amount. That's a real concern," Jankowski said.

The Houston area is still slated to add about 20,000 jobs this year, but the city has not yet made it to positive job growth for the year.

Jankowski also showed city data marking a drop in the value of building permits and said that construction has peaked for the cycle, particularly for office and retail construction, which have seen considerable drop in construction underway since the second quarter of last year. More multifamily and industrial construction is underwaynow than at this time last year, but Jankowski said he doesn't think those numbers will continue to stay that high in coming quarters.

"It's going to be a challenge to lease office space over the next 12 to 18 months," Jankowski said. "The long-term outlook is fine, we just need to get through this challenge ahead."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2015/09/sorry-houston-construction-has-peaked-ghp-says.html

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

I took this one in 2001 on the counter jib of that tower crane in your pic.

roH5vBi.jpg

For those of us who rarely drive over the 610 ship channel bridge, a skyline update.. (Please forgive the cellphone digital zoom quality)
I wonder if we can find old pictures from this angle and compare/overlay them?

1334935B-401D-4062-8203-4E56EC61E292_zps

• Like 7